Track Day Noise Limit Guide with interactive map

CAT@CAT

Noise limits is a big thing that’s not going away and only getting stricter and for me the most frustrating thing is knowing how one circuit compares to another. As your article says 98dB driveby at one circuit will be completely different to the same level at a different venue as the distance it’s measured from will be different. 

Would be be great if they could all come to an agreed limit that is enforced the same at each track so you confidently have a system that meets that and therefore meets them all. I’ve rang circuits and all they can say is if it’s meets the static then it “should” pass the drive by but cars just don’t conform to that logic. With the cost of some track days it’s way more ££ than you want to gamble with before knowing you won’t get thrown off. 

6 hours ago, 350Butcher said:

Noise limits is a big thing that’s not going away and only getting stricter and for me the most frustrating thing is knowing how one circuit compares to another. As your article says 98dB driveby at one circuit will be completely different to the same level at a different venue as the distance it’s measured from will be different. 

Would be be great if they could all come to an agreed limit that is enforced the same at each track so you confidently have a system that meets that and therefore meets them all. I’ve rang circuits and all they can say is if it’s meets the static then it “should” pass the drive by but cars just don’t conform to that logic. With the cost of some track days it’s way more ££ than you want to gamble with before knowing you won’t get thrown off. 

Did you ever get any extra silencers in yours 

8 hours ago, nissanman312 said:

Did you ever get any extra silencers in yours 

I bought a pair of these as recommended by @RobPhoboS

https://www.advantage-motorsport.co.uk/decibel-devil-exhaust-noise-reducer.html

Sadly I needed the 5" version to go over the exhaust tips and of course x2 so it starts getting pricey!! 

They work well though, my Z is 102dB drive by but with these fitted it gets me out at Donington Park without issue (98dB drive by). I did ask the staff there what it actually is with them installed but they can only say its at or under 98dB as its not tripped the meters and not give a reading, which is a shame as it would be useful to know. I'll have a system made on the car one day that runs it quiet enough to satisfy all circuits

17 hours ago, 350Butcher said:

Yes a common number would be helpful to the track enthusiasts, they'd likely go for the lowest possible denominator though which might then reduce the options to near zero.  Unless you have an electric car ........

49 minutes ago, CAT@CAT said:

Yes a common number would be helpful to the track enthusiasts, they'd likely go for the lowest possible denominator though which might then reduce the options to near zero.  Unless you have an electric car ........

Oh I'm sure you're right on that! Maybe I should be careful what I wish for!

Amazing that you can buy a house next to a motorway and there's no noise limit 24hrs a day, council won't listen to any complaints and its just tough...........buy a house near a race track and the council will close it down due to noise restrictions during less hours.

Its always been my opinion that the councils should be encouraging track days/driving and making them more accessible in an effort to improve road safety and get people to use there performance vehicles away from public roads but sadly this is a point missed by all of them.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, 350Butcher said:

Amazing that you can buy a house next to a motorway and there's no noise limit 24hrs a day, council won't listen to any complaints and its just tough...........buy a house near a race track and the council will close it down due to noise restrictions during less hours.

Donington is always the one that confounds me ... how is it ok for aeroplanes to take off and land 7 days a week but a few cars ....... makes no sense whatsoever :scare:

• Sad 1

52 minutes ago, CAT@CAT said:

Donington is always the one that confounds me ... how is it ok for aeroplanes to take off and land 7 days a week but a few cars ....... makes no sense whatsoever :scare:

Yeah crazy isn't it........been to Donington loads and its a running joke as the drivers briefing has to be halted repeatedly as aircraft go overhead and you couldn't shout over the top of the noise its so loud. They have equipment that "only picks up circuit noise and not aircraft noise" though.......not sure how that's even possible!!

Out of interest in your experience would you say Donington is still one of the strictest noise limits in the country or have others come down further?