Drive to Istanbul

TT350

I'm going to Istanbul in the next 5/6 weeks.

Either business class flight or via euro train under one ticket that allows a months worth of travel.

Or...driving. its 2230 miles to Istanbul. I'll have the 335D by then which does about 45mpg on mway. It's about £300 one way so obviously it's gonna cost £700 with the driving I'll do in Turkey, too.

Any advice? Anyone done it? Anyone want to come?

The wifes from Ukraine and we've done the trip before but my god that kind of driving is tedious if you just sit on the motorways. The roads in Romania (and no doubt onwards/around) will be sketchy. I'm not talking "oh theres a pothole" but donkey + kart, random steps up or down in the road surface where 2 different sections meet, questionable roadside services/fuel quality etc.

I'm sure a 335D would be capable but try and properly plan out a route so you can get a good estimate of fuel/toll costs before deciding, and remember you may want to alter it to take in some landmarks along the way.

• Thanks 1

Just try to have fun! It's my favourite route ever. You can see lots of types of different cultures on the way. I suggest you to take some resting time in Greece. God, how I love that place! I had a vacation there in 2015 and it ended up with buying property in Greece :) Besides, Turkish food are just so delicious that you will lose your mind. :)

Edited by Waysell