Radiator advice please

rkasc4

Hi all,

Firstly, I don't own a 350z, but I do need advice from 350z owners please.

I've got a 2005 Nissan stagea with the VQ35DE engine and automatic gearbox.

Long story short... I've had it converted to run on LPG and now everything runs a bit hotter and the fans are both going like crazy at the end of every journey, which is a bit embarrassing.

Temps read about 101-105 at the end of a journey through Nissan datascan 2 lite.

My mechanic isn't worried, saying that the car is nowhere close to overheating and that the car is fine.

I've had the ect sensor changed and no difference. He's plugged it in and the ECU temp reading is the same as his infrared thermometer reading.

He's suggested a better radiator.

So, what advice does anyone have for a better radiator. I've read on here that mishimoto aren't the best but skunk2 are much better.

Also, any thoughts on a better thermostat, rad cap, and possibly coolant additive like liquid chill?

Sorry for the long post guys.

Any advice would be massively appreciappreciated.

Cheers, Rob.

Thanks for the replies!

Koyo looks great but I’m on a bit of a budget, unfortunately.

Has anybody got any thoughts on the Skunk2 Alpha radiator with a Gates thermostat?

Also, what radiator cap does anyone recommend?

In that case, I would firstly, upgrade the thermostat and rad cap with genuine Nismo parts.

Running your motor with no thermostat for a short while will also give you an indication if flow is an issue.

Fitting a Koyo radiator should also help, however, your choice will depend on how much space you have.

Also it is worth remembering that the DE rad is different from the HR.

Edit:  If your motor is an auto then I suspect that you will require a rad with a tranny oil cooler or an external tranny oil cooler.

Edit:  Skunk 2 Alpha also should work for you.

The engine coolant will take a bit longer to get up to temp and your heater may not work so efficiently during that period, however, I would be more interested if your normal running temp drops during a journey and if your issue is resolved.

It is just a process that I would carry out in the shop as a matter of course.

Obviously, you will need to refit a suitable stat eventually.

• 1 month later...

Hi @ZMANALEX,

Thanks for your suggestions!

I’ve just had fitted the genuine Nismo thermostat and rad cap, but unfortunately my mechanic has had the car running in his garage and said the fans were still coming on. They weren’t on this morning when I parked the car close to where I work, but the last part of the journey is a long downhill stretch where I’m off the pedal mostly. Going home is a different matter... the last part before I get home is to sit in traffic for a while leading to a roundabout and then go up a steep hill to my house. I’m sure they’ll come on, but I’ll let you know.

I guess we’re now in the realm of buying a new radiator, which the Skunk2 Alpha seems to fit the bill. The only thing I’m struggling with is the transmission oil cooler, as I’ve not got a clue which one, or size, to go for. Does it have to be branded, or is just a standard one OK?

Thanks again for all your help!!!