Cleaning exhaust tips

Rikz2004

So I thought I'd have a go at cleaning the exhaust tips today as they've looked horrendously dirty since I bought the car. (Maybe they were never polished by the previous owner? Seems like the kind of thing that could definitely be easily forgotten about.) 

I initially though they were too far gone and was thinking of buying new tips but read some forums that said they could probably be saved, so thought I'd have an initial go at it.

I used wire wool and autosol (both of which came to the princely sum of £10). I didn't have the tools with me to remove the tips so had to do it in situ. I'll remove them later in the year and give them a more thorough clean.

Pic attached of before and after. It wasn't too difficult and spent around 30-40 minutes. I initially used wire wool, then applied autosol and used a cloth to remove and then repeated the whole process another two times. They are obviously not 100%, but so much better than they were!

IMG_20190324_142323.jpg

Edited by Rikz2004
Punctuation
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, davey_83 said:

Machine polish should get that up :thumbs:

I used compound and bar keepers friend

1970400077_Fotor_153263431847282.jpg.0b0d4a972b1e294e5447e09701388d73.jpg

This looks so good! I don't have a machine polish sadly but will be taking the tips off and redoing by hand later in the year. Hopefully with them off the car it will be easier to clean them properly and get them closer to how shiny yours are! 

1 hour ago, Umster said:

Interested to get some tips and advice, I'll be detailing my own car for Japfest

I detailed my previous car (up to a point anyway). I have yet to do it on the Zed.

What I would be/will be doing is the following:

- hand wash using two bucket method

- use fall out remover and iron ex to get rid of contaminants in the paintwork and wheels

- use a clay bar to get the paint completely clean and remove contaminants further

- hand polish the car (I'll be doing this by hand as I don't have a da polisher)

- wax/seal the car

- use tyre shine and seal the alloy wheels also

This is just what I'm planning to do, but obv there is loads more that you could do! 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Rikz2004 said:

- use fall out remover and iron ex to get rid of contaminants in the paintwork and wheels

Iron X is a fallout remover (albeit not the best one) so no point in doing both. Just use a good one first time round instead. ;)

Regarding the tips, it'll always be easier with a machine but I've never been a huge fan of Autosol by hand, there are better options that will provide more cut to make it easier to get a better finish.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, ilogikal1 said:

Regarding the tips, it'll always be easier with a machine but I've never been a huge fan of Autosol by hand, there are better options that will provide more cut to make it easier to get a better finish.

TBF it's the tips that I need the advice on. Everything else will be straightforward and I've been given the thumbs up by a few local detailing companies, albeit with amateur equipment. 

Want to know where I can save the pennies and DIY so I can keep the money in the fuel tank. 

It’ll depend on the current state of them. As Davey says a machine polisher is best with a suitable cut pad. By hand, if they’re bad some wire wool or if they’re not a pad or cloth - then lots of time and patience.

Thoroughly work the polish then buff and repeat. A lot.

If they’re absolutely horrendous I’d suggest removing them and treating them by letting them soak in an appropriate chemical overnight first.

• Like 1

I find polishing by hand quite frustrating as when you do use a DA instead you can see the difference is night and day. Only thing I would mention are that clay mitts are a lot easier and quicker to use than clay bars, reduces the chance of marring etc. but are just as effective (ok havent tested this but the finish to touch feels the same to me)

I have (tested it) and you’re right, mitts/cloths/blocks are just as effective as bars. They can easily marr a surface though if you don’t use it properly but I would argue the risks of doing so are marginal between the two, tbh.

The biggest advantage of mitts/cloths over bars is that you can cover a larger surface area much quicker and that you can rinse them off even if you drop them (rinse thoroughly if it does hit the ground though!) unlike bars.

athe biggest downside toitys/cloths is getting into the little fiddly areas whereas bars are more pliable, so I still tend to use both for that reason.

I find with the mitts the feel through the mitt is better than the bar, you can feel when the clay might bite on the paintwork a lot easier than a bar and thus avoid marring. But yes the bar is great for getting into the nooks and crannies, depends how OCD you are!