Help: Footwell Lighting to come on with Headlights

davidv10

Hi guys,

Im looking to put in some footwell lighting to my 370. I would really like the footwell lights to come on when my headlights (or if not then sidelights) are turned on. And then ill also put a master on/off switch somewhere on the centre console.

My question is, how would i wire that in?

Is there an easy power source linked to the lights heing switched on?

I can see loads of guides for wiring up to the door lights or just the ignition, but not to the headlights/sidelights.

I had this on my old 350, but it was already installed when i got it, so not sure how it was done.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

David

Edited by davidv10

I have this i my Zed.

White when the door is opened and red when the the Lights come on.

For the White light I connected to the passenger map light  and for the red lighting I soldered to the light module (green and black wire) i connected a dimmer switch so I could set how bright they are. I also used flat pre wired LEDs.

I have a guide somewhere I'll see if I can dig it out, but there is information on this if you search for  370z footwell lighting in a search engine.

Edited by blobbish

When I had my Mitsi Colt, I fitted a set of spot lights that I wanted to be used as front fogs, but rather that fit a switch in the dashboard I used the rear fog light as the switch. Essentially you need to cut a wire going in to the sidelight bulb  and fit a relay between it, this will act as a switch so that when there is power to the sidelights there will be power to the footwell lights. I personally would use a tail light wire as they are already contained within the shell and its easier to lay down wires if they are starting from inside already. Relays are dead cheap to get hold of and normally come with the wiring diagram, but I'd fit a fuse between the relay and your interior lights as a precaution. 

A dimmer switch is a good idea as blobbish suggested. 

Edited by Jay84

On 22/03/2019 at 23:58, The G Man said:

No advice from me, but loads of cars have this, BMW Mini, Ford (My Colour) etc.,

In my head it’s pretty complicated electrickery.  Not any use to you, but neither are the last three posts :lol:

I had standard floorlights that came on with my interior lights in my Focus RS Mk2. Thats fine and easily sorted by linking them to the interior light surely thats enough.

Thanks for the info guys.

5 hours ago, blobbish said:

I have this i my Zed.

White when the door is opened and red when the the Lights come on.

For the White light I connected to the passenger map light  and for the red lighting I soldered to the light module (green and black wire) i connected a dimmer switch so I could set how bright they are. I also used flat pre wired LEDs.

I have a guide somewhere I'll see if I can dig it out, but there is information on this if you search for  370z footwell lighting in a search engine.

Thanks, thats really helpful. Sorry for the silly question, but where is that light module?

If you have a guide that would be so helpful! I did have a search but couldnt find the wiring to the lights/light module.

1 hour ago, Jay84 said:

When I had my Mitsi Colt, I fitted a set of spot lights that I wanted to be used as front fogs, but rather that fit a switch in the dashboard I used the rear fog light as the switch. Essentially you need to cut a wire going in to the sidelight bulb  and fit a relay between it, this will act as a switch so that when there is power to the sidelights there will be power to the footwell lights. I personally would use a tail light wire as they are already contained within the shell and its easier to lay down wires if they are starting from inside already. Relays are dead cheap to get hold of and normally come with the wiring diagram, but I'd fit a fuse between the relay and your interior lights as a precaution. 

A dimmer switch is a good idea as blobbish suggested. 

Thanks for this. Where would be a good place to cut in to the taillight wiring? I would assume it would be easiest to get to near the tail light plug and then wire back into the front of the cabin?

9 minutes ago, davidv10 said:

Thanks for this. Where would be a good place to cut in to the taillight wiring? I would assume it would be easiest to get to near the tail light plug and then wire back into the front of the cabin?

None of this is tricky but you do need a multi-meter and to do it properly, seal any new joints you make and not leave wires dangling, you obviously have to be OK with removing bits of trim etc. Think carefully about an existing circuit that meets all your condition and use that so your logic is all sorted.

20 hours ago, davidv10 said:

Thanks for the info guys.

Thanks, thats really helpful. Sorry for the silly question, but where is that light module?

If you have a guide that would be so helpful! I did have a search but couldnt find the wiring to the lights/light module.

The wires are all part of the centre roof light.