370z Key Question

Dicky

• 3 weeks later...
On 19/03/2019 at 17:55, ilogikal1 said:

I would expect it can be recoded (although I stand to be corrected by someone who actually knows), but I would also expect it to be an horrendously expensive, Nissan dealership only type situation.

On my previous car it was dealer only and they would only code new keyfobs purchased from them. Second hand was a No No but perhaps Nissan are different.

Edited by StormWhite

I'm familiar with the 350z fob and can confirm they can be recoded. If the 370z uses the same/similar parts, it can be recoded. In the 350z key fob, there is a black rectangular block about 1.2cm long x 0.3cm width x 0.3cm height which can be recoded as long as it is still functional. I went to Malaysia for holiday and took my keys there to clone for a 2nd spare key. My dad knew an auto locksmiths hence I went there. He showed me the whole process --> place original key onto a machine to copy the code --> go a piece of black block out from his stock --> paste the code into new block --> check both key and new block to ensure both is transmitting the same code --> insert new block into spare key --> cut new key --> Done. Dealership in Malaysia chargers similar to the UK Stealership here, I had mine coded and cut for £25 at mate's rate (I supplied my own fob that i purchased from a breaker here in UK as he don't stock UK fobs). Charges around £50-£70 normally including aftermarket fob. He said the high price is to pay off the price of the decoder machine which cost a fortune to buy. My assumption is Nissan dealership will send you key off somewhere to be cloned.