And the next car is...VXT

coldel

As the car is just sat outside not being used, seemed like a good time to get something done that is kind of essential to everyday running. It required disconnecting the battery, then carefully removing the airbag (praying it doesnt go off in my face) and taking this off

IMG_8038.JPG.4c1e7e561ad4dc6e72be32a3e8f3a21e.JPG

Then sent it off to my guy that did my interior to do something with it

IMG_8155.PNG.63826b92f382fa4e25401ed14aae3cef.PNG

And in no time at all it was back in the car

665734691_lightX(1).png.d55ed1729c830c6bd411510be38e8914.png

I thought about putting some alcantara on it, but apparently it wears quickly so went all leather with blue stitching and a blue line at the top. It left my house Monday, and work was done and it was back with me Thursday morning. Brilliant.

Edited by coldel
  • Like 9

Cheers Dan/Stu, a little zoom in shows the stitching on the inside of the wheel. Also the matching gaiters for the handbrake (out of shot) and the gear stick. The steering wheel is standard with the VX, its a Momo branded one, so I have bought a matching momo gear knob. 

41228733_lightX(1)-Copy.png.777d8851af9524e6e02410247a5845ec.png

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Latest mod might seem insignificant but it’s going to make a huge difference. The standard interior mirror is out of an Astra, and it’s huge, it’s overly large for the small windshield. The mount is unusual in that the ball joint goes into the top of the mirror not the back like most universal mirrors. After some trawling through loads of different of different mirrors on eBay I found one off a Smart Car that looks like it could fit. Got the mirror tried it and it’s just a tad too small to go over the ball mount, out came the dremel and a quick sand of the socket on the mirror and boom it popped right on! It looks miles better, it’s about half the width of the standard Astra one I took off.

8232F43E-D2A1-4A04-AA07-BC034BBB22AC.jpeg.875ead6f86b4dd09eca7ed9489f10120.jpeg

I posted an update on FB as I asked the question a couple of days ago and no one could suggest a solution. It’s a frenzy, VX220 owners buying up smart car interior mirrors like crazy :lol:

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, coldel said:

Latest mod might seem insignificant but it’s going to make a huge difference. The standard interior mirror is out of an Astra, and it’s huge, it’s overly large for the small windshield. The mount is unusual in that the ball joint goes into the top of the mirror not the back like most universal mirrors. After some trawling through loads of different of different mirrors on eBay I found one off a Smart Car that looks like it could fit. Got the mirror tried it and it’s just a tad too small to go over the ball mount, out came the dremel and a quick sand of the socket on the mirror and boom it popped right on! It looks miles better, it’s about half the width of the standard Astra one I took off.

8232F43E-D2A1-4A04-AA07-BC034BBB22AC.jpeg.875ead6f86b4dd09eca7ed9489f10120.jpeg

I posted an update on FB as I asked the question a couple of days ago and no one could suggest a solution. It’s a frenzy, VX220 owners buying up smart car interior mirrors like crazy :lol:

Patent pending I hope mate!

Whilst the boot was open I noticed that my gearbox breather mod was looking a bit sad. It was a cheap eBay filter so I had a look online and found an all plastic affair which seemed a better option. Replacement took 5 mins :thumbs:

BD365F00-04FF-4F4F-A924-80AB7283A24C.jpeg.7a6abfd5b088212960fd4c412f785fad.jpeg

out with the old and in with the new 

7C2672C9-8ACA-4A42-B12E-BF2BE0EEA80F.jpeg.f569936218d638e9d78fa2fd6bcea486.jpeg

• Like 1

Got the tinkering itch. Ordered some crap carbon vinyl just to try it out on the spark plug cover, looks quite nice next to the genuine thing in the background. Will mull over what to do with that next. Also switched out the original rocker cover bolts which were rusty and crap with some shiny new ones. 

716FD3B6-9374-4476-8C2A-EEF602C6FF07.jpeg.8163a59182d87781c9561817c53ba8aa.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

A little bit of fabric vinyl on the sill cover...I think I like it! Adds to the comfy welcoming feel of the cockpit.

Anyway a before and after pic after lots of blood sweat tears swearing and £££ 

DF7D653D-2586-4284-9FC1-8EBDF1FD2BF4.jpeg.19ba0888a6a6d06171ed2b603139f766.jpeg

Retrimmed seats and door cards

Alcantara lined roof

Handbrake and gear leather gaiters

Elise handbrake handle

Momo Air gear knob and carbon gear stick shaft

Full carpet set

Retrimmed steering wheel 

Black alcantara dash covering

Alpine head unit and JBL speakers

Plastidip dash plates

Smart car rear view mirror!

Fabric wrapped sill cover

I do have a new set of switches coming this week which are to the right of the steering wheel.

Edited by coldel
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

We have a winner! Yes the old switch set are from an old Vectra, if they fail you basically are left paying upwards of thirty quid on eBay auctions to try and secure an old plastic switch. So went for it and bought a new switch set a trader has developed. But if a faff as you have to modify the switch housing with a dremel but got there until he end

...and yes offset steering wheels are all the rage, you haven’t tried it yet? ;)