And the next car is...VXT

coldel

Same issue on the Toybaru, OEM dies if you switch it off for 20 mins. Loads of folk have gone back under warranty, got a new (same) battery and then are astonished when it happens again. They go back under warranty, get a new (same) battery - lather rinse repeat....

For the £70 it cost me to get an upgrade, I feel it was a good spend - saves trips to the dealer and I'd sooner be driving and £70 lighter, than stuck somewhere with £70 in my pocket - several times over :headhurt:

New battery in, 52A Yuasa - car spins over much quicker now and with a lot more purpose! Proper pain though you have to remove the washer water bottle, remove wires, vaccum line etc. Definitely needed two pairs of hands, and the handle is a godsend!

And she passed her MoT today :thumbs:

IMG_7406.jpg.eea4464c4918ff0e90a2aa8e07ab16ca.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Haven't moved the car for nearly two weeks, usually that would mean battery charger time - popped it open and boom fired up immediately.  Whoopee!

The old girl needed a detail. So it went something like this:

Auto Finesse Avalanche

Gyeon Bathe+ 

Korrosol

Clay Mitt

DA Polisher + Scholl Concepts

Soft99 wax

Outcome:

zEvgoG.jpg

Also saw on the FB pages a guy selling smoked Elise wing indicators, bearing in mind these are the little indicators without bulbs...FOUR HUNDRED QUID. I liked them, but good god two little bits of plastic for four hundred quid seemed excessive. So onto ebay, £3 bit of flyeye, a hobby knife, a steady hand and I ended up with

lIzkj5.jpg

Not a bad saving of £397 but lets see how long it hangs on in there :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

Perfect situation to try a bit of home made modding. Bought an offcut of the blue alcantara that was used for my seats and door cards, and lined the inside of the fabric roof with it! Gorilla tape worked fine, lets see how long it lasts given you have to roll on and off the roof each time. It does change the interior feel as it being a brighter colour reflects light back down into the cabin. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

More tinkering. The gear lever shaft is a scruffy metal affair, so ordered a piece of carbon fibre tube, cut it to shape, had to do a little sanding back of the gear knob base with the dremel so it would fit over the carbon but the outcome looked ok!

IMG_8171.jpg.d8eff8b93901b3e2464d9f5f1bc2d708.jpg

Also took the time to use some of the Car Chem Leather Cleaner stuff I bought off Wax n Shine last year, cleaned up the gear knob and steering wheel. Came out well actually, little agitator brush and very happy with the result, the wheel feels much smoother and the difference can be felt if not seen :lol:

IMG_8172.jpg.7fc9c5aa7e926c7dd0707b15bd9e5217.jpg

Edited by coldel
  • Like 3

More tinkering today - the wheel centre caps, one especially, are looking a little tired. They are plastidipped a matt black colour. So got the worst offender off and cleaned it up went from this

IMG_8242.jpg.0670e2e200566d5cea7d5e0b6b5d9ea2.jpg

to this

IMG_8243.jpg.59c88749701655936904f22b9002efb9.jpg

I do happen to have some metallic black plastidip so could easily respray them. question is should I? I have the option of chrome coloured centre caps vs black

IMG_8246.jpg.3e847d5ca7c24ade448bb8b78f50d21d.jpgIMG_8247.jpg.616e779fa01d5a62fcadfc219f3db712.jpg

The other out there idea is spraying them a matching blue, as I do also have dark metallic blue plastidip too... :unsure:

• 4 weeks later...

Did the little job of reseating the gear surround today and screwing it to the surround. Shows off the carbon gear shaft in the car much better. Also got this very important lot through ready to be fitted by Matthew Bentley Motorsports tomorrow :thumbs: uprated toe links and strengthened hub carrier bolts

F8265DE8-284D-4117-8E7C-03C8575E37D8.jpeg.b393afd06404838274310ab6ee7147bb.jpeg

Edited by coldel
  • Like 1

All done, phew! Toe links are a known weak point on these cars (also Elises) and should be treated as perishables. Not a cheap bit of kit by any means but the outcome from a failed toe link is something like this ... note not my car, just to show how catastrophic fails are!

Basically the rear wheel collapses and points any direction it wants :scare:

So here is the VX up in the air getting the work done - undertrays off, wheels off, then removing the old ones and putting in the reinforced kit. This involves drilling a new mounting in the subframe so is not easily done without the car lift and easy access. Also whilst the car was up in the air replaced the hub carrier bolts, another know failure point, with high strength replacements.

IMG_8536.jpg.8ec788b7569d5d9561f01e7bfd534d19.jpg

There was also some tasty looking kit tucked away under wraps I was having a nose around...

IMG_8538.jpg.e633709ed9cecf4ed78741519eb994cf.jpg

Edited by coldel
  • Like 1