And the next car is...VXT

coldel

So the article was an 8 car shoot out, a standard (as standard as you can get i.e no big power numbers) turbo (mine) and a standard NA. Then there was the black track car which is rated at 500bhp+ (pretty much unbeatable on track) along with a Saab engine conversion, supercharged ones and an NA turbo charged conversion. Anyway, here is the write up on mine...

img003.jpg.67c2a5426c6ae9b43afb3ea268755e27.jpg

...and, ahem, the summary and winner :D

img005.jpg.28ce34d6582e2a6106981b88375af034.jpg

• Like 5

Yes to be honest the journo just posted on the FB page asking for volunteers, I could easily have missed it! Was just luck really! I had just refurbed the entire interior which I think might have swung it! But as he says the power at the moment is spot on it is very quick but not scarily quick perfect for me :thumbs:

• Like 1

I dont think the VXR was standard and probably running a bit more power than the norm, the guy that owned it has two VXs he brought two along on the day the VXR and a SC one. Yeah keeping the mag in case I sell the VX at some point and will stick it in with all the other paperwork! 

18 minutes ago, G1en@waxandshine said:

Well done Colin, get that page mounted on the garage wall. 

Needs a garage first and in Richmond that ain't easy......;)

Pleased for you Col - always had respect for your choice of cars that have been something different from the norm and great choices :clap:

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Well after leaving the car standing for 2 weeks, went out yesterday to start it and nothing. Hooked up the jump starter, barely turned over. I think the battery has had it (not the first time it has done this) so whacked the CTEK on to get it through the week and have a shiny new Yuasa 52A one arriving Wedsnesday :D

Apparently the battery change procedure is a bit of a mission, but lets see how it goes. You have to remove water bottle and various cables, and somehow pick it up out of a recess which if it doesn't have a handle (this one doesn't) means a layer of skin left behind :lol:

48 minutes ago, coldel said:

whacked the CTEK on to get it through the week

Does your CTEK have a recon setting? Mine does and revived the very dead battery in my 997 the other month after I left it in the garage over Christmas. Id assumed the battery was toast so went out & bought a new one which is still sitting unused in the garage. At least ive got a spare if I need it now.

51 minutes ago, coldel said:

Well after leaving the car standing for 2 weeks, went out yesterday to start it and nothing. Hooked up the jump starter, barely turned over. I think the battery has had it (not the first time it has done this) so whacked the CTEK on to get it through the week and have a shiny new Yuasa 52A one arriving Wedsnesday :D

Once I noticed the battery was starting to struggle in the cold weather with my 370Z...I stuck my trickle charger on it and it has brought the battery back to life completely now. If I know that I'm not going to use it for 2 weeks or more I just put the trickle back on it. It may bring yours back to life if you are lucky. 

My car is parked on the street, not always outside my house so trickle charge is not an option. I have bought a solar one to plug into the cigarette socket to try and do something but yet to see how effective it is.

This is the third time over the winter I have had to do this, more than 10 days and the battery is shot. I have a very good CTEK which has bells and whistles on (full recon option) but three times this current battery has gone so have decided to get a higher amperage new one with the solar charger plugged in to see how we go. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, coldel said:

My car is parked on the street, not always outside my house so trickle charge is not an option. I have bought a solar one to plug into the cigarette socket to try and do something but yet to see how effective it is.

This is the third time over the winter I have had to do this, more than 10 days and the battery is shot. I have a very good CTEK which has bells and whistles on (full recon option) but three times this current battery has gone so have decided to get a higher amperage new one with the solar charger plugged in to see how we go. 

Sounds like a good plan then if this the 3rd time. I wonder if theres anything causing a drain?

Chatter on the forums sounds like its a common thing, the alarm and immoboliser take about 2-3 weeks in cold weather to drain down some batteries enough that it wont have the cranking power to turn the car over. Browsing the extensive paperwork that came with the car couldn't find a receipt for a battery so it must be pretty old. Have to say quite excited in a bizarre way about my new super power battery arriving :lol:

1 hour ago, coldel said:

Chatter on the forums sounds like its a common thing, the alarm and immoboliser take about 2-3 weeks in cold weather to drain down some batteries enough that it wont have the cranking power to turn the car over. Browsing the extensive paperwork that came with the car couldn't find a receipt for a battery so it must be pretty old. Have to say quite excited in a bizarre way about my new super power battery arriving :lol:

It will make a lot of difference. The porsche battery on my 997 is widely regarded as terrible (and it is!). I replaced it with an upgraded bosch and the difference in cranking & starting is amazing. However, ive an aftermarket tracker on it, which if i leave it for a month or so, soon drains it.