Mps4s something to consider

nissanman312

I just wanted to share something I have found running these as others may want to try before they buy if they can.

So since I fitted these I have had a what can only be described as a funny left to right wriggle sensation.

It is very strange it's not all the time and seems to be worse over undulating surfaces and changing lanes etc 

I have been all over the car spanner checked all of the suspension and was at a loss as what to look at next 

Anyway on Friday I bit the bullet and called centre gravity to see if they could look over the car for me as they set the car up a little over a year ago and it felt extremely planted and tracked down the road beautifully.

I spoke to Pete who set the car up big shout out to them for giving me the time of day they are super busy and he took the time out of his lunch to call and talk through things 

He asked me what I had changed and i said the only change made was the mps4s and as soon as i said that he was pretty sure of the problem.

He then proceeded to tell me that he had 3 cars in that week all complaining of identical symptoms one was a 997 c2 one was a 991 gt3 and I cant remember the other but he said all 3 had fitted 4s tyres.

He said one felt so lose he came back after the test drive and double checked everything 

He said he changed the wheels on the 2s to a set with a different tyre and the sensation was gone 

He advised that in his opinion it was the multi compound tred blocks and the tred blocks being quite high and thought that it would settle down as the tyres wear he said ultimately they are awesome tyres 

I mentioned I was running the quaife diff and he thought that could be compounding the issue if the diff was trying to shuffle power around on the rear 

The tred blocks are very soft you can almost move them with your fingers.

Dont get me wrong compared to the Bridgestone that were awfull and would just snap at grip limit the grip is epic but I just thought this was a characteristic people may want to know about if considering using these tyres.

Edited by nissanman312

9 minutes ago, Andy_Muxlow said:

I have  a friend who has put them on her 350z and she says she doesn't have any confidence in them at all. she also says they are nowhere near as good as the mpss they replaced.

Interesting mate 

I have way way more confidence in them than the Bridgestone run flats that were on my car they would just let go and snap but they are definitely a soft tyre that have this strange characteristic to them it's quite unsettling at times like the wheels want to fall off lol

Edited by nissanman312

2 minutes ago, nissanman312 said:

Interesting mate 

I have way way more confidence in them than the Bridgestone run flats that were on my car but they are definitely a soft tyre that have this strange characteristic to them it's quite unsettling at times like the wheels want to fall off lol

yeah she says they seem to squirm about iirc in corners and stuff. quite odd indeed.

1 hour ago, Andy_Muxlow said:

yeah she says they seem to squirm about iirc in corners and stuff. quite odd indeed.

The mpss felt hard then got sticky with heat these just feel soft from the get go 

I wouldn't want anyone to be put off as such they are awesome when not wobbling about lol

Edited by nissanman312

I have them now and was previously on MPSS.  It's definitely a different sensation, but I've not yet got them super warm due you the weather.

With all tyres if you back off at all because you don't feel as confident you will likely induced some understeer as you come off the gas.

Must say for all I’ve read about Michelin’s and how good they are I’ve never got on with them when I’ve driven cars with them fitted

Interesting info and sounds like a good point to share. There’s more to a tyre than just outright grip and you’ve got to have confidence if you’re pushing on. 

Edited by 350Butcher
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, 350Butcher said:

Must say for all I’ve read about Michelin’s and how good they are I’ve never got on with them when I’ve driven cars with them fitted

Interesting info and sounds like a good point to share. There’s more to a tyre than just outright grip and you’ve got to have confidence if you’re pushing on. 

That's the weird thing when leaning on them they are great and on most road surfaces wet or dry they are great but when new at least over certain surfaces they definitely feel a bit unsettled 

I'll report back if like Pete at cg thinks they will settle down once the tred depth is a bit less 

Edited by nissanman312

MPS4S are better than the MPS4. They do feel different to MPSS and that is something to think about but they have excellent grip, I think you just have to 'unlearn MPSS feel' a bit when you swap. 

From the few thousand miles I've done on the MPS4S tyres.  They have excellent wet and dry grip, a slightly softer ride and less road noise than MPSS.  They do feel slightly more lively but it just feels like a very slight but controlled bit of drift.  They are supposed to last a fair bit longer than MPSS too.

After that I guess it's up to your own personal choice.  I like both tyres but have 20k plus miles experience on my old MPSS so need a bit of time on the new ones before I can give a better view.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Including me :lol: 

It’s actually an interesting question, given Michelin’s sporty tyres tendency to have stiff sidewalls which exacerbate the issue of a poor ride using heavy wheels. That said, the Zeds are sports coupes which allows for a certain amount of compromise, so it won’t come as any surprise when I say that the MPS4S is exactly where you should be looking as well :) 

• 3 months later...

All those running the MPS4S on the 370z GT with the 19" rays alloys, what sizes are you running front and rear. Seen as you can't get the MPS4S for the 245/40 R19 fronts, I've read people are running 255/35 R19 fronts with 285/35 R19 rears instead of the 275/35. So my question is what alternative size MPS4S tyre sizes can you run on the stock non Nismo 19" without messing up the sensors on the ABS etc.

Cheers 

• 2 years later...