Which 350z should I get?

Kaikora

So I’ve been looking around for a new toy. Currently I have a little Hyundai i20 which is great but it most certainly doesn’t have any grunt at all. Finally I decided on the 350z as my new toy. I’m very happy with my choice, but as I got looking through auto trader trying to decide what is good and what is not there’s a few questions I have and requirements. 

Im not too fussed on the colour but I do prefer black, blue and orange. But like I said it’s not a major contributing factor. 

Im thinking I want as low mileage as possible, however the max would probably be 60k, bearing in mind it should have definitely had a major service around 52k if I’m not correct?

I would like a full service history, however once I get the car I’ll be doing a full oil change and fluid change on the car so I know it has fresh and the correct oil inside. 

I would like to do a Rev Up tune as well once I get. 

To be honest I think I am rambling a bit now!

my question comes to the age really. What is the difference between the two age models, from the stripe on the bonnet and the bulge and is it worth spending around 5-7k on an older version, or 8-10k on the newer one?

Also any experience with either or, and why you choose one over the other. 

If I got the cheaper option, an older car I would have a bit of money to spare for the tuning, oil change but also perhaps able to ensure all the tires are the same brand, replace the W brace and various other issues that may arise, whereas getting the newer version, which is more often then not more expensive I wouldn’t be able to do so much straight away and would postpone what’s not so bad 

If you have the cash then I would recommend going for the newer version the HR.

Don't be fooled by the bulge on the bonnet as that was a very popular upgrade on the older/earlier DE cars.

To be sure, just lift the bonnet and check that it has two air intake boxes.

The early DE version and Revup only have the one.

Hi I've had 2 nissan 350z eds.  One was the GT version 187 bhp. In azure blue. Had that for over 4 years with no issues.  The one Ive got now is the uprev version.GT with 300bhp. . The only difference is that you pay more road tax for the higher bhp version. Then there is the HR version with 325 bhp.  It all down to what you want and need . I use nine daily to work and week ends .just changed the brake pads . And it gets serviced every 3.000 miles . But that's just me lol. Have done some work on it as normal but nothing major. 

9 hours ago, GranTurismoEra said:

DE 2003-2005 276 bhp more low down torque

300 hp with hardware and tune

DE revup 2006-2007 296bhp (also consumes more oil

Not sure about this bit. Thought it was just the DE not Revup that consumed more oil)

HR 2007 (57)-2009 313bhp standard? up to 335 bhp with hardware and tune

That's actually wrong. Corrected for you. Be careful though as Zmanalex said. Not all bonnet bulge cars are HR engined. Neither are all 57 plate onwards. Best way is to check engine bay. It'll have 2 air intakes.

Buy the one that's within your budget, that looks like it's been well loved with loads of history/receipts etc... 

Earlier cars have different interior also (pre 06). The later cars come with revised headlights/brake lights and a few other minor tweaks but the main ones are the engine differences. 

Safest bet is a real clean, low mileage, early DE model. They all have their pros and cons and different people have had different experiences... But from what I've seen generally/commonly the "rev-up" DE engine 296bhp can be prone to oil consumption and the later HR engines (twin intakes) have gallery gasket problems - which if are not sorted can lead to a £1000 job... 

Subjectively (however I own a 2004 DE), the best 350z would be the later HR engine model (2007/2008) with gallery gaskets all sorted, but they are more expensive and come with have higher tax bracket (which may not be a huge issue). They have a higher revving/more powerful engine, nice revised interior, nice upgraded lights and you can also boast about how you have a HR to all the earlier DE owners :lol:

20 minutes ago, reeceybeaney said:

Buy the one that's within your budget, that looks like it's been well loved with loads of history/receipts etc... 

Earlier cars have different interior also (pre 06). The later cars come with revised headlights/brake lights and a few other minor tweaks but the main ones are the engine differences. 

Safest bet is a real clean, low mileage, early DE model. They all have their pros and cons and different people have had different experiences... But from what I've seen generally/commonly the "rev-up" DE engine 296bhp can be prone to oil consumption and the later HR engines (twin intakes) have gallery gasket problems - which if are not sorted can lead to a £1000 job... 

Subjectively (however I own a 2004 DE), the best 350z would be the later HR engine model (2007/2008) with gallery gaskets all sorted, but they are more expensive and come with have higher tax bracket (which may not be a huge issue). They have a higher revving/more powerful engine, nice revised interior, nice upgraded lights and you can also boast about how you have a HR to all the earlier DE owners :lol:

The RevUp has the same revised interior, lights etc as the HR but is in the high tax bracket with the HR. Some RevUp's are reported to use a little more oil but will not be a problem if you check the level regularly. Us prior RX8 owners laugh heartily when the RevUp oil consumption is classed by some as a 'problem' :lol:

Thanks for all the input. I will absolutely get one which I think is best but it is nice to hear everyone’s views and experiences. It helps me also make a decision on what I think is a good one also. 

I have to say the tax bracket difference is also an influencer as well because it’s quite a bit of difference. 

As with all performance cars that have dropped into the realms of the 20 year old F&F boy racer go for the nicest condition with plenty of History. Some high mileage options out there but don't let that put you off. Maintence is key, check for service history. Poor mismatched  tyres normally suggests it's been maintained on a budget etc etc, the usual.

Clutch is a relatively costly purchase so if it hasn't been done, it'll need doing at around 100k give or take. If buying a later HR check oil pressure on idle, it's an issue that's cropping up a touch more often, £800 quid gasket fix if caught early enough, potentially catastrophic if not (122k on my clock and idles as it should) don't let it put you off, just be aware of it.

Later models have better interiors in my opinion but if you stare at either of them for long enough they'll scratch so personal preference really. Many more options for engine performance mods when it comes to the early DE's. Supurcharger kits / turbo charger kits are considerbly less than the later HR'S if that's your thing.

Visually there's no real cause for concern, rear arches can take a battering with rust so unless your local paint shop is owned by a page 3 model offering out free blozzers  i'd be tempted to move on from any rusty rears.

I'm yet to see a 350z with prestine wiper arms, they're all battered and easily painted back up.

Great cars, great fun, none of this fat peddle DSG nonsense you get today. A car that begs to be driven regardless of the year you buy.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, GranTurismoEra said:

wrong where?

Changed it in your text that I quoted. This is what is written

300 hp with hardware and tune

DE revup 2006-2007 296bhp (also consumes more oil

Not sure about this bit. Thought it was just the DE not Revup that consumed more oil)

HR 2007 (57)-2009 313bhp standard? up to 335 bhp with hardware and tune

5 hours ago, Kaikora said:

Thanks for all the input. I will absolutely get one which I think is best but it is nice to hear everyone’s views and experiences. It helps me also make a decision on what I think is a good one also. 

I have to say the tax bracket difference is also an influencer as well because it’s quite a bit of difference. 

Often comes up. But put it in context, you are going to spend between £5k-£10k on a car and £250 is an issue and a driver of what car you get? To be frank, that is bonkers. Thats about 2 1/2 tanks of fuel. Get the best car (HR's have many benefits) and cut a few beers out for the year and you are in the better place.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, coldel said:

Often comes up. But put it in context, you are going to spend between £5k-£10k on a car and £250 is an issue and a driver of what car you get? To be frank, that is bonkers. Thats about 2 1/2 tanks of fuel. Get the best car (HR's have many benefits) and cut a few beers out for the year and you are in the better place.

isnt road tax increasing on DE,s every year? or is it frozen at £315

1 hour ago, GranTurismoEra said:

isnt road tax increasing on DE,s every year? or is it frozen at £315

Fairly sure they've been steadily increasing over the years, however I imagine that the HR costwould increase at the same rate as the DE's, so no real change in value there.

11 minutes ago, GranTurismoEra said:

lol the billions being spent on benefits, while we dodge potholes :lol: 

Nah don't need to aim at people less fortunate, keep this strictly aimed at the government. Back to the point, I so need to change the daily to a hybrid. 

1 minute ago, Umster said:

Nah don't need to aim at people less fortunate, keep this strictly aimed at the government. Back to the point, I so need to change the daily to a hybrid. 

I think @GranTurismoEra is airing towards the idea that the government aren't putting money in the right places and possibly road/car tax is going else where... Probably right :lol:

The topic of benefits can be quite sour, a lot deserved, but also a lot abused... 

4 hours ago, coldel said:

Interesting point of view, I’m not saying it is a be all and end all point im just saying it is something to consider as it’s not just a one off payment it’s an every year payment. Yes if the right HR came up and it was perfect I wouldn’t second myself because of the tax, but if it was no choice, no HR that was good enough then I would consider it a bonus to not having to pay the extra tax