[350Z] Bad Clutch at 28.000km

MtJavnk

Hi guys,

I would need your opinion on resolving one mistery. I am looking to buy a 1st hand Nissan 350Z, 2008. Car is with it's original owner from new. Car has 28.000km on the clock but surprisingly has a worn out clutch. Or does it? Pedal is hard in clutch bite is basicly at the top - on the release. And I am not talking about last 1/4 of the way released. I am talking about last 1/2 of an inch. So you basicly release the clutch all the way and the clutch bites. Can you give me a pointer here, please. Thanks.

Is it from hard starts or can it be something else that failed? I am worried since the new clutch cost 2.500 EUR incl. dual mass flywheel and if this really is a bad clutch that should be deducted from asking price which is already high in the first place. I owned a couple of sports cars but NEVER experienced bad clutch at this mileage.

You can get a new clutch and flywheel for significantly less than that, either OEM or aftermarket. I think the parts would be around £700 or £800. 

As to whether the clutch is on its way out or not, I'll leave that to people with more expertise. 

ZMANALEX would be a good place to start if you need the parts. He might be able to offer advice on the nature of the problem too. 

That is  low mileage for a worn out clutch, unless it has been abused.

Is the car on its original clutch or has an aftermarket been fitted?

If original then I would guess that it needs a new clutch and fly.

If biting that high, then it must be slipping badly????

New clutch and fly kits are in stock at half the price that you have been quoted, however, use the expensive Nissan prices for your negotiations.

I am assuming that your car is the HR model, please clarify.

Just drop me a PM if I can help you further.

Alex.

I found the biting point on my zed really high when I got it, I just lowered it by adjusting the pivot point on the pedal via a guide on here. It only took about 10min and made the bite much lower and more to my liking. Obviously if you've not bought it yet you can't try this out but you could test drive it to see if the clutch is actually slipping or just needs adjusted 

Yes, the 350Z is an HR VQ35HR, 05/2008). I am specifically looking for this engine, since it boots out a bit more HP although it has it's own quirks like VTC fails (1.200 EUR per side according to Nissan dealer), oil galley gasket and probably one or two more. Those things await me, but lower the mileage lower the possibility to blow those parts. Well at least theoretically.

Mileage. 28.000. Seller is the first owner, owned it for 11 years now. He thinks he owns a gem. Yes the car is nice, but it needs service and a proper one. Front pads are on the last 1/4 of it's life, front rotors could probably go for one more cycle of the pads (just might). Taking this into account I think the car was driven hard. Pretty hard if the clutch is on it's last breaths at 28k kms. I cannot confirm about slippage 'cause I wasn't able to drive the car - the owner did a short test ride and I couldn't hear engine RPM's rising on acceleration. And he has a lead foot. I was only allowed to move the car forward, at that time I noticed the clutch is no good. Or something else within clutch mechanism is off. All the parts are original.

Mine was really high when I bought it at 100k. It was really hard to drive. As Scobie says above, you can adjust the bite point. I put it low and hammered it for another 16k without issues. So yours could be alright for a long time but it's hard to know. 

I replaced it eventually as a precaution with a stronger one and a lightweight fly for about 1k or thereabouts.