New clutch and pedal not returning

zelda

Hi guys,

My local garage fitted a new RTS clutch along with a tarmac sports lightened flywheel, slave cylinder and braided line for me today.

The clutch pedal is only returning half way.

They're saying they've bled it many times (I emphasised that the zeds can be tricky) and also tried the new clutch on the old slave cylinder before changing to the new one. And it was the same as it is now half pedal.

Does anyone know if there are any adjustments needed to the clutch pedal when fitting a lightened flywheel?

Thanks

I've got the same kit as you and have full clutch pedal travel. I did it different though, I ended up doing the slave a couple of months before the clutch and fly, so when I did the clutch, we just clamped off the line. It still took a couple of bleed attempts, but my mechanic used a pressure bleeder, so wasn't too bad. 

If your pedal travel was fine before the install, I can't see pedal adjustment solving the issue. Last year I had my slave cylinder replaced with braided line and found priming the slave cylinder the best way to bleed the system.

2 minutes ago, davey_83 said:

If your pedal travel was fine before the install, I can't see pedal adjustment solving the issue. Last year I had my slave cylinder replaced with braided line and found priming the slave cylinder the best way to bleed the system.

Assuming though that the difference is that the old flywheel was dual mass and the new one is single mass.

Update: Garage have said that they've adjusted the pedal and although it's made it slightly better it's still not right. They pulled the gearbox again to compare the new/old clutch and think that the new clutch or flywheel is wrong and sent me these photos:

New one is 116mm:

new_clutch.jpeg.3bd0d2bf2329297f47b5339446e9b68e.jpeg

Old one is 125mm:

old_clutch.jpeg.a76e569f023aef4032a2cfca773c3526.jpeg#

Does this make sense? I guess I'll now have to get on the phone to tarmac sportz and double check the part numbers I have are correct.

37 minutes ago, davey_83 said:

Can't see tarmac supplying the wrong clutch for a 350z 

Me neither to be honest. They were really helpful today considering I bought the bits a good while back.

Confirmed all parts are correct and  suggested checking the release bearing is seated properly, which it is so everything points back to air in the system.

Best not to let the master run dry as you are creating a rod for your own back.

All cars are different with some easier to bleed than others.

The 350Z is straight forward to bleed if you are conversant with how the 350 hydraulics work and if you follow the recommended bleed procedure.