URGENT NEED SOME QUICK TYRE ADVICE

Payco

Ok. Wanted to fit MPS4s or MPS4 on my new rims. 285/35/35/R19 and 245/40/R19 BUT having spoken to Michelin they don't do the fronts.

What other tyres can folk recommend that are good for road use in wet but mostly dry conditions.

Need to order them today.

Thanks in advance

Payco

15 minutes ago, Ekona said:

255/35/19

285/35/19

In MPS4S.

want the same specs as currently on the car Ekona.

Edited by Payco

6 minutes ago, Payco said:

want the same specs as currently on the car Ekona.

There's really no need, many people are now running that size in that tyre with zero issues, so I'm confident recommending it to every one now :) 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 07/03/2019 at 16:04, Ekona said:

255/35/19

285/35/19

In MPS4S.

Hi,

Sorry for spamming in your topic Payco lol but no point for me to start a new one.

I am looking for new set of tyres for my 370 Nismo and unfortunatelly there is still no MPS4S in 245/40/19 size at the EU market.

The only ones I could find were the Pirelli PZero and Dunlops same what I have now.

Ekona you do recommend the above setup but I am a bit confused as that tyre calculator 

https://www.errolstyres.co.za/odcalculator says that it isn't ok. However when you check 255/40/19 there is no issue.

Should I get higher profile then or is 35 still ok?

Also how are the wheel arch gaps with the lower profile tyre and does it make the car front much lower? 

I have huge speed bumps where I live and even with the original setup when I drive over it I can hear like I am scraping the bottom of my car.

Many thanks

Damian

• 1 year later...
On 07/03/2019 at 16:23, Umster said:

I use Hankook Ventus EVO2 and they do a solid job. I'd recommend them. 

Holy post revival Batman!

When my Potenzas finally wear down a little more and I can justify replacing them, alongside the 'BIGGER' names I've been looking at alternatives.

Hankooks are one of them - you obviously think they suit the Z? 

Edited by Loadmaster

Value for money, the Ventus Evo2 were good, think they now make the Evo3 which I'd hope is a step up in terms of technology. 

I'm running Pirellis on my M3 (not a great comparison) but they are pants. The M3 is supposedly well suited to MPSS or MPS4S - when the time comes for a tyre change, I'll see if I can afford them else I'll be back to Hankook. 

• Like 1

My experience:

Michelin Pilot Sports on the 370 (and A45) were excellent, wet or dry and and used by many on here with 350's/370's who like me want to push their Zeds to the limit and have tried various other makes beforehand. 

Pirelli P Zero on both the Cayman and the i30N are fine in the dry, but two quite different cars and in the wet they fail to give the confidence of the Pilot Sports.  Would have opted for the MPS4 on both, but on one axle (I can't remember which) on the Cayman the size was not available and nor were they an "approved" tyre by Porsche....wtf? All down to Porsche not bothering to test them, from a reliable source.

Too early to think of a change on the i30N but if the MPS4 are available when I have done a few more miles I would not hesitate to use them and dump the P Zero's, due to their poor wet road ability.  That said, the electronic LSD diff has resulted in the car that is by far the quickest/safest on a favourite roundabout in the dry or wet.;)

3 hours ago, Ebized said:

My experience:

Michelin Pilot Sports on the 370 (and A45) were excellent, wet or dry and and used by many on here with 350's/370's who like me want to push their Zeds to the limit and have tried various other makes beforehand. 

Pirelli P Zero on both the Cayman and the i30N are fine in the dry, but two quite different cars and in the wet they fail to give the confidence of the Pilot Sports.  Would have opted for the MPS4 on both, but on one axle (I can't remember which) on the Cayman the size was not available and nor were they an "approved" tyre by Porsche....wtf? All down to Porsche not bothering to test them, from a reliable source.

Too early to think of a change on the i30N but if the MPS4 are available when I have done a few more miles I would not hesitate to use them and dump the P Zero's, due to their poor wet road ability.  That said, the electronic LSD diff has resulted in the car that is by far the quickest/safest on a favourite roundabout in the dry or wet.;)

Are these the Pirellis that Hyundai have "specially" developed for their N range?

11 hours ago, Willsy1980 said:

Honestly, after fitting the MP4S im never fitting a different tyre.

Pricey, but you get what you pay for. End of the day, your tyres are the last thing between you and a bad crash, pay for themselves ion the long run :thumbs:

A bit like good vs budget trainers then?! Could split your head open going on a run with Primark trainers

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GranTurismoEra said:

A bit like good vs budget trainers then?! Could split your head open going on a run with Primark trainers

Id say more like playing football in trainers, yeah you can do it. But there is a good chance you're ending up on your arse :lol:

In all seriousness though, ive used Hankook (Ventus) before on my old Focus ST, they are a decent tyre but they are only a decent budget tyre. Anything rear wheel drive with over 2 or 300 HP id stay away from anything described as budget. Just not worth the risk, they only need to save your skin once and they are paid for.

• Like 1

Mehhh, I understand what you're saying but I wouldn't class them as budget. They are just not a premium make from a premium brand. 

As much as I'd love to say spend £1k on tyres and fitting (add the worry that you need to replace a sensor, or that a tyre gets punctured a week after you've fitted it), you also need to spend a little on the diff fluid and replacing the diff bushings. Staggered setups are also a killer because you buy 4 tyres but need to budget for 6 (I keep mentioning it because it happened to me, replacing a new tyre crushes a part of your soul). 

I've done silly speeds, in the dry and wet on the Hankook and never felt in danger. The bigger issue on the Z is the crap bushings and the old fluid. Once I did that, the difference in the car was night and day, no more hopping and skipping from the rear end and the traction control kicked in with more assurance (no on/off/on/off/on/off within 3 seconds). 

Again, if you're driving your Z in the summer or don't really push it to the limit then the money on the Michelin is overkill. If you had the money for the tyres, then you're probably looking at high end German cars not budget Japanese sports/GT cars. Only other caveat is if you turbo/super charge, then the kick in of power at 4k rpm needs the respect of premium tyres. 

I've moved onto an M3 with considerable more power and a immense DCT. I've done all the fluids and when the time comes I will likely go Michelin but that's because I'm rocking 100bhp more than my Z and a gearbox that will kick down mid corner. 

If you can afford it, then definitely do it, if you can't and like me you have bills to pay, don't be afraid to buy Hankook (or the other mid range brands). 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Loadmaster said:

How about Toyo? They're big in the world of racing in Japan, US and Oz.

No idea what their road tyres are like.

Not great, to say the least. Bettered by pretty much anything other than dirt cheap budget tyres tbh. The 888R are good, but they’re a trackday tyre. 

• Like 1

On 29/01/2022 at 13:31, Umster said:

Mehhh, I understand what you're saying but I wouldn't class them as budget. They are just not a premium make from a premium brand. 

Got them fitted on my MR2, PS4 on my 135i and PS4S on the other car. I wouldnt quite say night and day between the Michelins and the Hankooks but its very noticeable, the PS4S are borderline astonishing - I actually bought Hankooks rather than Michelins as I didnt want too much grip, I wanted the car to move around a bit  

The best tyres you can afford is never overkill (remember they stop you as well as make you go round corners) and when its £40 a corner difference then I wouldnt skimp, seats and steering wheels regularly get overlooked as well. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, docwra said:

The best tyres you can afford is never overkill (remember they stop you as well as make you go round corners) and when its £40 a corner difference then I wouldnt skimp, seats and steering wheels regularly get overlooked as well. 

Yeah for that sort of price, it's a no brainer. Everyone's context is different, some daily driver, others have garage queen's, some exclusively track etc. 

Like I'd hate to be the guy who is evangelical about a tyre brand, only to see someone running bald tyres or running tyres 8 years old etc just so they can say they have Michelins. 

Just think we Z owners are overkill - if some of these tyres were so bad, they wouldn't sell em, Heck they wouldn't fit them on brand new 400bhp+ cars as standard. Zs are cool but they really aren't that powerful of a car.

Still think the biggest failing on the Z is the diff bushings - that's worth sorting out. One time fix and a lifetime of satisfaction.