156mph in a 911 on M180

ATTAK Z

Things happen so fast at these speeds that the slightest obstacle or bump in the road can result in horrific consequences.

There was a recent crash in Cape Town where the guys were doing about 190mph in their BMW M3.

The news footage shows the car lose control (as someone undertook him) for no apparent reason in my opinion.

Social media revealed the in car footage filmed by the passenger and also at the hospital.

Sent shivers down my spine!

I'll post the news page in the green room, and leave it to others to seek out the gory details.

Needless to say, it really left an impact on me regarding how dangerous such speeds are on the motorway.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, nissanman312 said:

After falling off at what I'd call national speed limit God only knows what falling off at that speed would be like on the road ...scary stuff

Its quite odd really. Ive fell off (well highsided) a motorbike at 120mph before and you soon loose momentum and slide to a holt. 156mph in a 911 however is a different matter. I find 120mph on a bike feels like nothing. Indeed, my R1 will hit 115mph in 2nd gear. Feels stable, solid and a quick touch of the brakes and you stop quickly. However if I hit over 120mph in my 911 it feels very fast and I start getting nervous. With the mods, my car in theory should be able to top 200mph, and people do at vmax, but I just cant get my head around doing that sort of speed in a car.  Dont know if other bikers feel the same or whether I just have a strange mind set.

The #speedkills thing gets me. Speed doesnt kill, its inappropriate speed which does. You can be doing 70 in a 70, but if its thick fog and ice thats inappropriate. Doing 100mph on a deserted 4 lane motorway would probably be safer. That said 156mph is quite a hefty bit over the national speed limit and I cant see any judge thinking that would be acceptable.

My local newspaper is forever putting stuff up where local people have done speed traps in the local villages. One the other day said 80% of drivers were speeding..... 80% certainly didnt crash, in fact noone did!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, HEADPHONES said:

Things happen so fast at these speeds that the slightest obstacle or bump in the road can result in horrific consequences.

There was a recent crash in Cape Town where the guys were doing about 190mph in their BMW M3.

The news footage shows the car lose control (as someone undertook him) for no apparent reason in my opinion.

Social media revealed the in car footage filmed by the passenger and also at the hospital.

Sent shivers down my spine!

I'll post the news page in the green room, and leave it to others to seek out the gory details.

Needless to say, it really left an impact on me regarding how dangerous such speeds are on the motorway.

Saw that it went viral on youtube. Didnt the guy lose both legs? Also he was switching lanes from 1st to 3rd lane at one and spun out. Video was captured by midnight club crew on a bridge

That M3 in South Africa plowed through the central reservation, how it didnt hit anything coming the other way and kill anyone is a miracle. But yes, the obvious is obvious, having an issue at a higher speed is going to mean a much higher chance of injury/death than having similar issue at lower speeds. Allowing the general public to decide what speed is appropriate for a road is a recipe for disaster (remember how stupid the general public en-mass can be) so the only solution is sensible speed limits on roads. 

11 minutes ago, rabbitstew said:

However if I hit over 120mph in my 911 it feels very fast and I start getting nervous. With the mods, my car in theory should be able to top 200mph, and people do at vmax, but I just cant get my head around doing that sort of speed in a car. 

When I did VMax in my 911 (which wasn't anywhere near as quick as yours!) I nearly shat myself when I hit even 150mph for the first time, and I had to force myself to keep my foot buried to get to the 176mph that I eventually topped out at. By the end of the day it felt natural, but I am impressed by the guys who plough on through the double-ton and just keep going...

Hes effed. Hes looking at a 1-2 year ban to set make an example out of him. Never heard of anyone "driver" their car. Why is the person posting putting an angry emoji? Hes never sped before right?

The "clear" conditions and "no traffic or pedestrians" wont make a difference in this scenario. Sports car? Assumed arrogance to speed and do what he wants. The books going to be thrown at him. Remorse wont matter. Its not 101 in a 70 on a clear day with no traffic. 

The categories A B C are for within reasonable but realistic speeds. Their are also hidden categories D E F and beyond and is at judges discretion. The law expert that sits in front of the judge will probably advise the 3 stooges that this is beyond anything they have dealt with. They will need extended time to discuss. It wont be a category F. Its beyond that lol. Categories/Bands. Band F being 120 -130 MPH.

Good luck to the person. Not even God can save him from a steep sentence. He'll probably be hit with £2500 fine the full wack. if his wages are over 1400 per week! 175% of weekly wage.  :wacko:

7 minutes ago, coldel said:

That M3 in South Africa plowed through the central reservation, how it didnt hit anything coming the other way and kill anyone is a miracle. But yes, the obvious is obvious, having an issue at a higher speed is going to mean a much higher chance of injury/death than having similar issue at lower speeds. Allowing the general public to decide what speed is appropriate for a road is a recipe for disaster (remember how stupid the general public en-mass can be) so the only solution is sensible speed limits on roads. 

They seem to suffer the same problem as Nigeria. Advisory speed limits written the highway code. No sign posted or enforced via camera. But to be honest south africa are more organised on that front. Its at police discretion to decide if you were speeding or not. Maybe you can pay them off depending on who it is lol.

The cameras will be hard to enforce if people who have new cars are driving around without plates which can happen in Nigeria. I dont know about South Africa. The whole ANPR network and system isnt quite there in some countries like the UK. Theyll get there eventually lol

• Band D - you will be fined between 200% and 300% of your weekly income.
  • Band E - you will be fined between 300% and 500% of your weekly income.
  • Band F - you will be fined between 500% and 700% of your weekly income.

:secret:"youre screwed mate"

Edited by GranTurismoEra

1 hour ago, rabbitstew said:

Its quite odd really. Ive fell off (well highsided) a motorbike at 120mph before and you soon loose momentum and slide to a holt. 156mph in a 911 however is a different matter. I find 120mph on a bike feels like nothing. Indeed, my R1 will hit 115mph in 2nd gear. Feels stable, solid and a quick touch of the brakes and you stop quickly. However if I hit over 120mph in my 911 it feels very fast and I start getting nervous. With the mods, my car in theory should be able to top 200mph, and people do at vmax, but I just cant get my head around doing that sort of speed in a car.  Dont know if other bikers feel the same or whether I just have a strange mind set.

I was like you, never really phased by it when i had bikes, we did a euro road trip and saw an indicated 179mph on a ZX9R but i definitely feel a bit different in a car on the road, personally i think its just we are not used to travelling at those speeds regularly, on some of the quicker UK circuits though i saw 155mph in the VX, the first couple of sessions took a while for the brain to get up to speed but then it started to feel normal, probably also on track there is nothing close roadside as a visual guide.

16 hours ago, Jetpilot said:

I was like you, never really phased by it when i had bikes, we did a euro road trip and saw an indicated 179mph on a ZX9R but i definitely feel a bit different in a car on the road, personally i think its just we are not used to travelling at those speeds regularly, on some of the quicker UK circuits though i saw 155mph in the VX, the first couple of sessions took a while for the brain to get up to speed but then it started to feel normal, probably also on track there is nothing close roadside as a visual guide.

Your probably right there. I saw 178mph on my ZX7R once back in around 1999 I think it was and I was about 10ft behind a Fireblade who was absolutely flat out. Didnt think anything of it at the time, was like doing nothing. Until about 20mins  later at about 50mph my mate on the Fireblade overcooked a bend and went through a hedge, out the other side and started to plow a farmers field for him. He ended up in hospital with one arm broken in 2 places. I had to call 999 and get him off to hospital, but at the time the main concern for both of us was to get his bike recovered and safely home to his garage. By the time I visited him in hospital the next day, id already done a full assessment of his Fireblade and what it needed to get back on the road again and that was all either of us was worried about.

I just cant imagine doing 178mph in a car though, like you and Ekona said it must be down to your brain just not being used to doing it in a car. Im sure maybe if I did those sort of speeds every time I went out in my car id soon get re-programmed. (or in jail! :lol: )

Having managed 192mph and regularly done 175mph (at events and track days) in the GTR, the car felt awesome at those speeds, not the slightest concern, it honestly felt like 120mph in a normal road car. So the type of car does make a difference, but I do agree with the statement above about what is appropriate. Especially considering what many in the UK consider a following distance at 70mph! 

Must admit that the first time I passed 160mph in the GTR was on the AutoBahns and it definitely did scare me!

150+mph on public roads with people that have no real concept of driving at high speed, it is just silly IMHO. 

On the South Africa crash, what road was it on? N1 into Cape Town? As I have seen a silly accident there.... in a Toyota Corolla. The car was above 200kph, I was doing 160kph (silly yes) and he made me look like a hotdog stand! Undertook me, tried to cross from lane 1 to 3 as the road has a kink. Went a little to far and the rear wheel dropped off the tar and into the gutter...... game over! I was first on scene and not something I ever want to see again. Police couldnt ID the car, I told them what it was. Car ended up up-sided  down wrapped around a palmtree. 

As with most things it comes down to the driver for me. Modern cars are capable of doing 150+ safely, otherwise people would be dying on trackdays all over the place, and for me an empty motorway isnt far removed from the Kemmel Straight (and is probably shorter and bumpier than Dottinger Hohe :lol:

What isnt safe is street racing when theres other traffic on the road, when its pissing with rain or making sudden direction changes at high speed -  having seen the vid I do wonder if the guy actually had much high speed driving experience.
My BMW is a very fast car and I let it loose sometimes but never if theres anything else on the road, if someone pulls out 500m in front of you when youre doing 160+ things suddenly become rather "entertaining"