Tesco momentum Vs V Power

HEADPHONES

2 hours ago, coldel said:

Is V-Power 'better' because its more expensive then? ;)

Sorry, but from everything we have seen over the last 10 years+ on this debate, all it has done is to show  there is no clear cut evidence that V-Power has anything more to offer than Momentum.  

In my book it is rather like saying clothes with "designer" labels will mean they will last better than clothes without, whereas the reality is they are chosen primarily for the name and that is more important for some than worrying about the extra cost that others will be thinking about.   

There are so many other factors that will affect engine longevity than petrol brands, but for those who like to explore the red-line when the opportunity arises what we do know is that regular use of anything less than 97/98ron can, maybe not always, lead to premature failures.  

• Like 2

As always, break it down to the minimum facts:

There is a legal standard that all fuels have to meet to be classed as Super/Premium/97RON or higher. This is a pretty tough standard to meet, so you can guarantee that the fuel is of a certain quality. Every single 97RON+ fuel on sale in the UK today meets this standard as a minimum, and anything above that you're arguing tiny percentages of betterness. As long as whatever you put in your car meets the RON minimum for your vehicle, there's zero evidence to prove either way that one is better than another. If there was proper evidence, then Shell/BP/Esso would be screaming it from the rooftops. 

They're not. So there isn't. Just drive your damn cars and enjoy them :) 

• Like 1

Right you two, don’t think you can come in here with your facts and start throwing proof and evidence around thinking that you’re welcome. You’re getting in the way of all the conjecture, opinions and anecdotes of what the guy in the industry said. Stop it now or I’ll have to... find a way to finish that sentence, is what I’ll have to do!

• Haha 3

18 hours ago, ilogikal1 said:

Right you two, don’t think you can come in here with your facts and start throwing proof and evidence around thinking that you’re welcome. You’re getting in the way of all the conjecture, opinions and anecdotes of what the guy in the industry said. Stop it now or I’ll have to... find a way to finish that sentence, is what I’ll have to do!

Sorry to rock the boat, but nobody's mentioned the bloke down the pub yet:stir:

• Haha 1

The difference isn’t the refinery, I don’t think anyone has claimed there is in this thread. It’s how they’re treated after leaving the refinery 

Also how do you explain this?

On 26/02/2019 at 21:50, Toshz said:

My first ever car was a wee Toyota glanza and I had it mapped on v-power and I would always fill up on v-power. One day I was driving by Tesco and decided to give momentum a try. Not a word of a lie the car drove like a bag of @*!# and actually cut out on me in my housing estate. Went back to shell and brimmed the tank with v-power and it was fine from then on. Always used v-power since and woulnt dare putting supermarket fuel in my zed.

Anecdotal evidence. It doesn’t prove anything. Like I said I can counter that with my parents car that has driven for ten years on Tesco no problem. So who is right? Neither because it doesn’t really mean anything unless it’s done under test conditions and peer reviewed. 

Tesco also state on their website that they add cleaning additives to their 99. Are those additives worse than the Shell ones? I haven’t read anything. Happy to be pointed at a test which shows Shell is better at cleaning. Ultimately though both fuels clean the engine fuel system.

I'd say all things being equal, you're likely to pick up a dodgy tank of momentum than V power. Far fewer outlets of Tesco 99ron, meaning it'll most probably sit there for longer compared to Shell with a higher turn over of customer 'for' V power. Logically if Shell are shifting more V power than momentum, obviously the tanks are being replenished more often. 

Don't have stats just solely going on the number of outlet I see here in the Midlands. Places whatever the industry tend to have more outlets, when serving more customers. 

I think you are really clutching at straws now to be honest, fuel can only go stale during the evaporation process i.e. left out exposed to atmosphere. Highly unlikely to happen in a sealed container under a forecourt . In any case Tesco is the largest seller of fuel in the UK, Shell is third behind BP. Who knows what share of super premium is but Tesco sells more fuel than Shell.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, davey_83 said:

meaning it'll most probably sit there for longer compared to Shell with a higher turn over of customer 'for' V power. 

A few posts ago you were claiming exactly that anyway, Tesco buy and store till the price is right.

Although I would agree the chances of dodgy tanks at Tesco are higher but only because it happened locally, but if ever I go into Tesco the pumps are way busier than any Shell I have been too, always have to queue at Tesco which also suggests they have a high turnover, I have a friend who works at one, I can always ask how many litres they sell if you want?

Reading up on GTR forum, fair few owners report knock after filling up with momentum reportedly due to the higher ethanol rating and its characteristics towards water absorption. Of course that's not to say it would happen every time you filled up with momentum, however noted more often compared to V power going by owners who found the need to post.

Knock would be caused by lower RON, lower RON would be caused by phased separation due to higher water content

• Like 1

I think the process failure is more likely to be caused with the way the delivery tankers are maintained. I read of an issue where a shell tanker hadn't been cleaned properly, a lot of residue of whatever it is they used was left in the tanker, they refilled with fuel delivered it to a forecourt, every car that filled up broke down. I'm going back about 10 years now mind, it was in the press. Petrol doesn't go off,I believe diesel however does after a very long time. Supermarkets sell cheap fuel to use it as a shoe horn to get you in the shop, they make little to no profit on it, hence the price.

Just had a quick scan of the topic, so sorry if somone already covered this..

I get less knock detection running V-Power than any other Super so there must be some real difference between fuels.

On 09/03/2019 at 10:57, davey_83 said:

Reading up on GTR forum, fair few owners report knock after filling up with momentum reportedly due to the higher ethanol rating and its characteristics towards water absorption. Of course that's not to say it would happen every time you filled up with momentum, however noted more often compared to V power going by owners who found the need to post.

Knock would be caused by lower RON, lower RON would be caused by phased separation due to higher water content

Thats not strictly true is it (i am on the forum ;) ), a couple of people mention knock was detected on track, while one chap claims to know a "guy" who tests fuels and swears by momentum and not v power as in his findings the ron rating varies by a lot more with v power. 

The argument on there seems very much the same as here, the people who swear by v power have absolutely no evidence to back up their reasons and also a lot like here, all the others fill up with whatever is closer or they are passing.

If Shell was cheaper than BP I can guarantee there would be posts everywhere saying BP is better. Its a mindset thing 'expensive is better you get what you pay for' etc. and some nice marketing alongside it, if there was categoric proof it would be on page 1 of the Shell website. Even looking at things like Aldi, many people still think its quality is poor because its cheap, 'you get what you pay for' is becoming less and less relevant nowadays.