Tesco momentum Vs V Power

HEADPHONES

1 hour ago, LRF4N said:

So if Tesco did one brand car oil, met all the requirements for your car, next to it was a branded oil for a pound more, which would you go for?

If a budget tyre brand made a tyre that was all the same grades as MPS4S, in the real world you dont know how well they actually perform, would you try them or stick with tried and tested? (That ones for Dan)

Same question with brake pads and other consumables on a car

Flip side of that, someone comes along and puts your fancy brand oil into cheap, nondescript bottles and sells it off for less than the fancy brand. Would you pay extra for the fancy brands fancy branding?

Or to make it more accurate - fancy brand established it's product with decades of R&D, fancy brand sells a great product at price point to recoup those costs and make a mark up on top. Non-branded guy comes along years later, reverse engineers the same product and produces it at a much lower cost. Now let's assume non-brand guy can get an exceptionally good copy. As close as possible the exact same product... do you you pay still pay extra for fancy brand?

I’m usually a cheapskate mate- Scottish and Pakistani :lol:

I’ve always tried to save money where possible but when I’ve been told there is a risk of using these fuels and best to avoid at all costs, that’s exactly what I’m doing 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, LRF4N said:

I’m usually a cheapskate mate- Scottish and Pakistani :lol:

but when I’ve been told there is a risk of using these fuels and best to avoid at all costs

:lol:

But you wont believe anyone on here who has told you its fine? I get what you are saying, but usually people use substantiated evidence to support their argument, i.e Ekona Michelin tyres.

If one our resident tuners @Mark@Abbey m/s @Jez @ H-Dev came on and said, its fine or the risks are exceptionally minimal, would you then use it? He may say its sh*t then we all will have to eat humble haggis :thumbs:

My first ever car was a wee Toyota glanza and I had it mapped on v-power and I would always fill up on v-power. One day I was driving by Tesco and decided to give momentum a try. Not a word of a lie the car drove like a bag of @*!# and actually cut out on me in my housing estate. Went back to shell and brimmed the tank with v-power and it was fine from then on. Always used v-power since and woulnt dare putting supermarket fuel in my zed.

https://www.allstarcard.co.uk/this-matters-fuel/fleet-news/supermarket-fuel/

This link pretty much agrees with everything said. Petrol is petrol. No matter where you buy it from. However they add additives in branded. Even the basic ones. So not just v power. Do these additives make a difference? No one knows as the evidence so far has been inconclusive. So some says yes, some says no.

It's like is mineral water or tap water better for you IMO.

9 hours ago, davey_83 said:

As far as your concerned, as person in the industry. 

So your man/woman "in" the industry is saying, Tesco tankers fill up, take the tankers to their own stores, decant and leave it there till the price is right, go back with the tankers and refill to then decant at the forecourt. 

Apart from not being financially viable due the process required above the space required to store millions of litres of fuel is also not realistic, just looking from a logical point of view.

The business model is very different for grocery retailers vs traditional petrol retailers which allows for price flexibility. As for the stale argument, I could be wrong but fuel goes stale if left exposed to atmosphere i.e. it evaporates. If in a sealed air tight container it can last much longer in its current condition, so even if supermarkets are storing fuel for 6 months if its stored air tight it makes no difference to the fuel condition (I did a quick google to check and BP have a great page talking through how fuel degrades showing actual data). 

I think the problem is mainly a psychological one - Shell shouts PREMIUM and supermarkets shout OWN LABEL which we have been conditioned to via marketing. All fuel conforms to British Euro standards, tested thoroughly to ensure it does, the premium stuff adds more additives but it does not mean the own label stuff will kill the engine faster over time, just like own label food products in supermarkets don't kill people any faster than equivalent premium products in the same supermarket. 

• Like 2

If this was stuff I had read online I would agree with you col, but on more than one occasion I have spoken to mechanics when I have had issues with different cars and they said it was partly due to being run on supermarket fuels. Granted these were not performance cars so the comparison they made was standard 95 ron but they said momentum had the same differences

Like I mentioned before, hundreds if not thousands of zeds have been run on standard 95 ron, and no difference in performance or engine problems noticed. That doesn’t mean they should continue to be run on 95 ron. Problems can arise, but won’t arise with every case

My father has been a mechanic (used to work on etypes etc and once worked on an XJ220) for 53 years my brother a relative novice at just 23 years working on cars...never had a problem with supermarket fuels causing issues. That's the problem with anecdotal evidence, it's not a proper test.

Edited by coldel

Y'know what, I've completely changed my mind on this; everyone who believes that spending extra on Shell, you're all completely right. You should continue to buy only from Shell....

...That way, Tesco will have to keep the price of the fuel I'll be buying low in order to compete. :lol:

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Jetpilot said:

Is this akin to the "bum dyno"

Indeed. I remember on here someone saying how they got into their mates S-Line Audi and how noticeably faster it was (based on being told that by their mate) than the non S-Line version. If you are conditioned to it, you believe it, even feel it.

On 26/02/2019 at 15:35, davey_83 said:

Problem with supermarket fuels is the winter and summer additives. Supermarkets buy fuel when its cheap, store and sell all year round. Selling summer fuel in the winter brings its own issues, this is what we've found in past years in the leasing industry for regular octane fuel. Whether this buying model is carried over to the 99ron is doubtful, as its a different supplier completely to Tesco's regular 95ron.

This isn't a thing. Its refinery to fore court via a tankers. And up north the one refinery supplies the lot.

Edited by scobie140
  • Like 1

On 27/02/2019 at 16:03, scobie140 said:

This isn't a thing. Its refinery to fore court via a tankers. And up north the one refinery supplies the lot.

But... the guy. The one in the industry. The guy said. You can’t argue with that kind of evidence!

• Haha 2

On 24/02/2019 at 12:26, davey_83 said:

@JamesT2992 goes he gets noticeably better commuting mpg with v power compared to momentum.

I notice better mpg driving on Shell than BP, especially on motorways too. 

Interested in trying Tesco though as Shells prices are going through the roof lately 128pl, I think tesco are around 118pl 

• Like 1

On 27/02/2019 at 16:03, scobie140 said:

Confirmed by friends at Stanlow and Fawley.

i like to fill with V Power, but have no qualms filling with Momentum.  I have no loyalty, other than to the present tune I run that requires 97+ RON.  I have filled with all sorts on the continent, but always 97+ RON

If you feel that your “sports” orientated vehicle is not worthy, put paraffin in, for all anyone else cares :p

On 02/03/2019 at 20:48, The G Man said:

Confirmed by friends at Stanlow and Fawley.

i like to fill with V Power, but have no qualms filling with Momentum.  I have no loyalty, other than to the present tune I run that requires 97+ RON.  I have filled with all sorts on the continent, but always 97+ RON

If you feel that your “sports” orientated vehicle is not worthy, put paraffin in, for all anyone else cares :p

I work in the Scottish one so I kinda cheated by having insider knowledge :lol:

• Like 1