Dutty's "about tree fiddy..." build

dutty

As requested in my intro post I'm starting a build log to document restoring the old lady back to her former glory days.

It's getting driven over to my very excellent mechanic today to get her MOT done and start discussions around what we plan on doing to it. I'm hoping that I will be able to do the less mechanically skillful parts myself and leave the skillful things down to someone who doesn't have giant great spam hands.

So before it heads out today I wanted to share some pics that outline the condition I picked it up in. Bodywork, it's not too bad. But its def been drifted and has the old clonk and clunk, rub and scrub in the back.

I'm not going to go into detail of what is going to be done in this first post as that's pretty fluid. Will it be a street / track car? Will she be a show pony and only rolled out on the weekends? Don't know just yet, but that's half the joy of buying this car, seeing where it will take me...

Any suggestions are gladly received so don't hold back!

IMG_6487.JPG

IMG_6488.JPG

IMG_6489.JPG

IMG_6491.JPG

IMG_6492.JPG

IMG_6493.JPG

IMG_6503.JPG

IMG_6499.JPG

IMG_6495.JPG

IMG_6496.JPG

IMG_6497.JPG

IMG_6498.JPG

IMG_6501.JPG

treefiddy.jpg

Edited by dutty
  • Like 1

As a quick update, already got some parts coming in...

Exhaust: Milltek 3.00" Cat Back Exhaust System (Dual 100mm Meteor Tailpipe)

I did want the Invidia Gemini system but there is a long wait on these at the moment and after doing some research and listening to what others had fitted I decided on the Milltek. It's not as raspy and its a little quieter but right now I have a JapSpeed on there that the previous owners have put on. It so obnoxiously loud that the drone when up to speed is...debilitating!

HFCs: DE TORQEN High Flow Cats

I've heard a lot of good about the Berk HFCs, but I've recently been dealing with @Adrian@TORQEN via the forum so though't I'd give these a try. Mostly as an apology for pestering him so much, thanks Adrian!

Coilovers: BC Racing BR Series, Type RS Coilovers

Enough said really; great reviews as far as I can tell, popular with the community. Good for street / light track use. Bit of a no brainer at the price point.

Braces: Ultra Racing W Brace

Because the old one doesn't even exist any more.

All these parts ordered in, arriving next week.

Edited by dutty

Settled on a new rim and tyre package today, wewp!

Alloys: 18" Rota Grid Drift

2x 18" Rota Grid Drift Alloy Wheels (Wheel Specifications: 18 x 9.5" 5x114.3 ET20 FRONT)

2x 18" Rota Grid Drift Alloy Wheels (Wheel Specifications: 18 x 10" 5x114.3 ET15 REAR)

Tyres: Yokohama Advan Sport V105S

2x 245/40R18 (Tyre Specifications: 245/40R18 95Y XL FRONT)

2x 265/40R18 (Tyre Specifications: 265/40R18 101Y XL REAR)

I'm hoping with the right drop on the coilovers it'll be a nice flush fit without need to roll the arches. But we'll see!

edit: after chatting with the chaps at Rota Shop have altered the tyre and alloy spec slightly. Didn't want the stretched look but wanted to keep it fairly aggressive and flush while not getting any rub and scrub.

Edited by dutty
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So, week number three in the garage! Got to get all the defects cleared up before the MOT. Looks like the previous owners tried to jam on wrong wheel bearings, spacers and all kinds of crap. Sigh.

We are now at...

• new wheel bearings all round with new studs.
  • bit of spot welding underneath to tidy up some corrosion
  • looks like the heat shield around the fuel tank has a spot of corrosion but should be able to argue that as non structural with the MOT center
  • It had some Japspeed camber arms on the front that had screwed ball joints so we have replaced those with some Driftworks camber arms, they look fairly basic but can swap them out later down the line

Roll on next week, might actually have her back on the road

• Like 1

Anyone have any interest in my old shocks and exhaust?

Full set of Nismo 56110 RSZ30 with Apex lowering springs

Japspeed K1 Exhaust with cats

If so I'll throw a post up on the trade pages...

Edited by dutty

So digging around in the cabin I found a naughty looking button next to the VDC switch.

Toggling it on and off seemed to do nothing until I got out and walked around the car. It's a brake light kill switch! Looks like this car has true drift blood running through its veins.

Ripped the center console out this evening and replaced the nasty old head unit with a Sony XAV-X100.

Not sure what monkey installed the old head unit but the dash was missing a load of screws, the cage was ripped and it was cable tied in!

At some point will have to get a replacement cage but I've tidied it up for now and will make do.

Had to pop up the garage to get the replacement lambda sensor installed, so while it was on the ramp got a couple of shots with its new farting tubes installed.

IMG_20190401_164903.jpg

IMG_20190401_164926.jpg

Edited by dutty

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I mean, you should; its as simple as declaring the change on your V5C I think. But this is the third car I've had wrapped now and I've had no trouble yet without declaring.