Throttle body cleaning.

mr v6

I've done a lot of reading about this process & everyone seems to have their do's & don'ts, so I'm confused as to which way to do it on my 05 DE. Some say it's fine, other say disconnect the battery, one guy says ignition on & floor the pedal to open the throttle plate (this didn't work for me), pedal dance to reset, which a lot of people can't get it to work, amongst other suggestions. Did the spark plugs at weekend & the edge of the plate is quite cruddy. 

Can Nissan Datascan manually open the throttle body?:shrug:

5 hours ago, Payco said:

Why are you cleaning it ? Cleaned and painted mine on my 350z. Most important thing is not to touch or mess with the butterfly plate.

When the car starts from cold lately the revs drop to just above 1000rpm for a split second before rising to the normal level. I thought the crud build up was reducing the airflow in, thus the low revs, till the ECU detects it & opens the TB more to make up for it. Surely the best way to clean it is to open the plate to ensure it's done properly.

Plenty of threads on this subject so have a read up but that’s the thing you have to be very wary of when cleaning it. Search throttle body in the search function.

Edited by Payco

I did this a few months ago. I disconnected the battery and unplugged and removed the throttle body from the car. I then cleaned the throttle body and refitted and reconnected the battery.

I then did the various pedal dance resets (throttle position reset etc). This didn't work properly the first time and I ended up getting a CEL and car going into limp mode randomly after a while of driving every time I switched the car on. I redid the throttle position reset (correctly this time) and it was all fine since then.

I think my main issue after cleaning was the throttle closed position being wrong. I was obviously careful when opening the butterfly valve and only opened it slightly about twice from memory to avoid damaging it.

• Like 1

I've cleaned mine and don't believe you can clean it out fully without moving the throttle butterfly. Problems folks have is carrying out the reset procedure afterwards on a cold engine, that just won't work for obvious reasons. 

Warmed engine, I disconnected the battery for 30mins then began to clean out. Reconnect battery and began all three resets *engine still warm. That was just the way I did mine.

806975785_Screenshot_20190219-1907012.png.6891dae610c3a13b01dbb20ab9368e1b.png

• Like 1