Rusty rear arch

Kryptek49

Probably should have looked a bit harder when buying my car 6 months ago - I was just washing it and noticed this rust on the passenger side rear arch:

367462837_350zreararch1.jpg.34e0c1745ea97ab651c4b73db9e57c0e.jpg

The car is an 07 HR with 100k miles.  Driver's side has no rust fortunately.

I'm based in Norfolk, so will be looking for a body shop near me to cut out and replace the rusted panels.

Can anyone advise on the rough price I should expect to pay for this?  

If anyone knows a good body shop in Norfolk please let me know.

Thanks.

The price will vary greatly depending on the standard and quality of the job.

Get a few written quotes from various body/paint shops with a full description of there proposed repairs.

Then go with the one that you feel most comfortable with.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I've been round to a few different places so far, got a few quotes starting at £600 + VAT, from reputable body shops but I didn't get the feeling they knew what they were doing.

Today I got in touch with a local classic car restorer who also does a bit of work on newer cars as well - obviously working with classics he knows how to deal with rust.  He seemed like a really nice guy who clearly knows what he's doing, showing me where he needs to cut and weld in new metal etc.   

Best part is he's quoted £250 - 300 for it, including waxoyling the other side as a preventative measure.  

The cars booked in for the first week of September, and once the jobs done I'll post up on here with some photos and details of the company if anyone else in Norfolk wants to use them.

• Like 1

On 14/08/2019 at 17:58, Kryptek49 said:

I've been round to a few different places so far, got a few quotes starting at £600 + VAT, from reputable body shops but I didn't get the feeling they knew what they were doing.

Today I got in touch with a local classic car restorer who also does a bit of work on newer cars as well - obviously working with classics he knows how to deal with rust.  He seemed like a really nice guy who clearly knows what he's doing, showing me where he needs to cut and weld in new metal etc.   

Best part is he's quoted £250 - 300 for it, including waxoyling the other side as a preventative measure.  

The cars booked in for the first week of September, and once the jobs done I'll post up on here with some photos and details of the company if anyone else in Norfolk wants to use them.

That's a good price 

2 hours ago, davey_83 said:

That's an unbelievably good price for repair and paint.

My thoughts exactly - he really seemed to know his stuff though.  Fingers crossed it all goes smoothly.  

He showed me round his workshop and some of the cars he works on were pretty expensive - old Aston Martins etc. - so I feel like I'm in safe hands.

That's really good, next time we meet up we will have to check it out, I'm sure it will look so much better when its done. You will have to let me have his details just in case I need anything done in the future.

On 16/08/2019 at 10:04, TimC said:

That's really good, next time we meet up we will have to check it out, I'm sure it will look so much better when its done. You will have to let me have his details just in case I need anything done in the future.

Yeah definitely - I'll see if he doesn't mind taking a few photos as he goes, then post up on the forum with his company details if hes happy for me to.  

Whens the next Yarmouth meet? Tomorrow? I'll see if I can make it down

• 3 weeks later...

And it's done! Price went up a little bit from the quote as the inner arch required cutting too and they couldn't tell that from the outside obviously.

Total price was £357 for the nearside rear arch, done by Steve Cato Classic Cars and Restoration.  They're based in Tottenhill, Norfolk. 

Very happy with the work done and the price too, I'll post up some photos of the work later.

What timing, last week I noticed the same issue.

Bit of a design flaw as the metal does not curl back on itself, letting all that dirt gather. Newer cars have the curl...

I stopped by J E Drury (Codicote area, not far from Stevenage) and they also said it would be around £350. Gonna get it done in a week or two.