New TTS... Anyone had experience? (I know....shh)

AMT

Ok, so.... since selling my Z at the beginning of last year (due to various circumstances like new flat etc) I've been driving around in a 65' Fiesta... yes it burns my soul every time I look at it.  Finishing off a bit of loan so will be looking to boot the damn thing to the horizon at the end of this year possible beginning of 2020, but I am starting - even though early - to consider stuff and what will be in the affordability bracket to try get something nice with performance.   The plan was to change it to an old XKR (08' onwards) but this likely won't happen as I feel there gettin' on a bit and I could prob put my cash to something newer, faster or just as fast but cheaper to run. I've also got a smallish garage I'd like to put a car in too. 

I said to myself, due to the Z's annoying daily traffic commute, my next car would be an auto with paddles, so the newer TTS (2015+) has this, also has quattro which is useful for the winter.  Tax is lower (although I will take into account the age and cost as I know the government levy some cash on it for so many years but hey...anythings better than the £535 I used to pay!).  306 ponies with 280 torque will do fine, especially since the quattro gives it rapid acceleration but even with this I keep seeing people getting a realistic 30+ mpg, which is not bad (better than 22 anyway..).  It also apparently and I've checked a few websites including the official ones to compare... the new TTS is 1.2 cm NARROWER than the Fiesta, so would fit in the garage fine (maybe someone can clarify that lol). 

Not so sure on servicing costs I'll check that as I go, only issue is the actual cost. There still up at mid £20K's, so I'd look for one coming down to the low 20s.  I'm also considering whether to throw a shed load down on it and pay it off over so many years, personal loan... or where I can (dependent on where its being sold) possibly consider the PCP/contract hire nonsense that you can still get on used cars. (only reason I'm considering this is, I'm always going to need and want a car and usually don't end up with much in resale value at the end so don't seem like I get much back...again this can be the cars had prior but anyway). 

If anyone has experience or knowledge of the new TT's or TTS specifically I would gratefully appreciate it.  I'm keen to know of any issues with the virtual cockpit (I've read a minor few) and the 2.0 Turbo engine and how this stands up to the test of time (has it been used in others like the S3 for a while?) Again just looking at my options and it seems to fit the bill nicely, only issues making sure the purchase price/amount per month is ok and.... I still prefer nice big GT look to cars, this is more small hair dresser but again I could live with it, it's got 4 pipes for a reason.  Probably not the most soulful thing but meh, I'm looking for easy daily performance these days.

You can chime in with the finance option opinions if you want I just mentioned that to let you know what I'm thinking despite it being a while off (I spent a good amount of time before I bought a Z, as some on here know :lol: )

Cheers for any help!

I was looking at buying a brand new TT 2.0i last year before getting a Mustang instead.  i wanted to go for the economy etc but decided against it in the end. :lol:

Anyway, for a 2.0 S-Line 2wd with auto box on PCP i was looking at £440 per month with about £2k down i think over 4 years, and then an £18k balloon payment if i remember rightly.  This was at something like 4% APR or there abouts.

I've never bought a used car on PCP but whenever i've spoken to main dealers about it, they have stupid APR rates on them eg 10-15% which generally makes them more expensive to purchase than a new car.

Yeah the APR makes it almost as expensive as buying brand new. With that APR a used TTS at £26k would be 34k by the time you finished due to interest. Then you look at BMW 24% combined on some used M2s lol. That takes it to 43k on some cars costing 32k.

Right now the TTS are holding value well. But like the TTS and TTRS gone before (MkII) they will eventually depreciate into the teens

Better off putting a bigger chunk and paying HP for 2 - 3 years. IE £15k :lol: then get rid after 3 years when it really starts dropping due to new mk4 shape

I used to laugh at PCP/HP too. Then I thought who cares only live once. Get what you want! 

I did see one 1st week I bought the Nismo. He was stuck staring at me while doing 20 mph. But I had tints so he couldnt see me and sped off. :lol:

Edited by GranTurismoEra

The new mk3 TTS gets really good reviews on the TT forum and on the TTRS/RS3 Facebook page. A lot of guys compare it (performance and handling wise) to the mk2 RS and claim it is better. I haven’t driven one (I have a mk2 RS) so cant comment directly. Yes, it won’t have the appeal of a Zed and can possibly be called soulless, but, if all you want is a really fast (especially with dsg) daily with a very modern interior, that is relatively cheap to run,  you won’t go far wrong

• Like 1

On 13/02/2019 at 21:20, AMT said:

I'm also considering whether to throw a shed load down on it and pay it off over so many years, personal loan... or where I can (dependent on where its being sold) possibly consider the PCP/contract hire nonsense that you can still get on used cars.  

Don't go down the PCP route on a used car!!! I did on my Z over a decade ago when I was young and naive, still get shivers when I think how much more £££ it cost me versus just getting a loan/cash.

Personal loans are pretty cheap at the moment 3% on £20k, no reason to pay more on PCP.

52 minutes ago, gangzoom said:

Don't go down the PCP route on a used car!!! I did on my Z over a decade ago when I was young and naive, still get shivers when I think how much more £££ it cost me versus just getting a loan/cash.

Personal loans are pretty cheap at the moment 3% on £20k, no reason to pay more on PCP.

Just been down this route with my daughter.

She was looking at new cars on pcp and could get a good interest rate plus discount from the dealer that more than covered any interest. Changed her mind and decided to get a higher spec pre-reg car which is classed as second hand and the pcp interest rate was terrible. Much to my annoyance, when they printed out the pcp quotation it quotes the interest rates and the 'attractive' monthly payment but did not state how much interest was to be paid over the term - a bit surprised they can get away with that.

As it was she just ended up getting 0% finance from the Bank of Dad : )

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ponsonby said:

Much to my annoyance, when they printed out the pcp quotation it quotes the interest rates and the 'attractive' monthly payment but did not state how much interest was to be paid over the term - a bit surprised they can get away with that.

Yeah am pretty sure every single car dealer are breaking the law on this point. When we were shopping around for my wife car, Lexus Leicester actually crossed out the APR bit on the finance print out - YES, I watched they do it with a black marker as the paper came out of the printer:scare:!!!

When I asked them why they did this, I was told 'The number is wrong', and that they couldn't tell me the APR??!! I than told them could I have the paper so I could go home and calculate the APR, the answer was, no, because I would calculate it wrong, but they would be happy for me to sign it there and than to secure the deal on the car??! This is on a £40K list price car, from a well established main dealer selling a 'premium' brand, and dealing with customers are clearly wise to the world (otherwise known as old :lol:). 

I cannot imagine the lies people are been told about PCP just to get the signature on the dotted line. 

Edited by gangzoom

lool crooks, Nissan didnt do this. Thats surely illegal. Depreciation on my Z was all of £200 pound albeit paying 18% interest. Despite the interest I didnt feel the car is a £40,000 pound car. So I went used. Total would have been £33,000 on a near new car. Still 7k less than £40,305 pounds for a new one. But still the fact is you're still paying 7k in interest!

Edited by GranTurismoEra

I love how I put the finance in just as a side but its taking over a bit  :lol:  ...I'll avoid the PCP nonsense then haha.  Any info or reviews on the car itself?? There must be issues with that screen, I don't trust new electronics lol Also want to know about that 2.0 Turbo unit and how reliable it is (I assume its a chain)...   I love the fact I did nothing to the Z's engine over 5 years and it got DRIVEN (mind you I didn't experience the gasket issue...thank god)

44 minutes ago, AMT said:

There must be issues with that screen, I don't trust new electronics lol 

You would be a nervous wreck in my current car :lol:.

I've been driving around in cars with digital screens instead of analogue dials coming up to 4 years and 55k. 

I really wouldn't worry about reliability of the displays. I've rarely if ever heard of dash displays failing, LCD is really reliable tech, I still my old Apple Cinema display that was bought in 2004 at work every day!!

Haven't personally tried the Audi implementation but all the reviews look good. Once you live with a good digital dash I don't think you would want to go back to analogue

• Like 1