What Did You Come From - How Does It Compare?

Sit

1 hour ago, Sit said:

Wow that’s a definite testament to the Z car!! How was returning to the 350Z from the RS3? 

Were all your Z’s coupe and manual or have you had both roadster, coupe, manual and auto??

Si

All Z's have been Coupe. The 2 350's manual, the 370 was auto and the 370 Nismo was manual.

The 350Z felt slow and heavy after the RS3 but I enjoy it much more. Can have fun at sensible speeds and feels a special place to be sat. The 350Z 'feels' to be getting quicker now though, perhaps as memories of the RS3 fade, or maybe just because it is getting driven properly now - its a 2006 and only covered 17,000 miles. Still had original front tyres on when I got it.

My best driving days were in the 80's and 90's and the cars I enjoyed the most were a couple of XR4i's I had (2.8V6) plus one of each of the Nissan Sylvia's, S12/13/14 so the 350Z sits just nicely for me : )

23 hours ago, GranTurismoEra said:

Went from 350z. Had a civic beforehand. Thought about it for all of 4 weeks then bought one. Same goes with the 370. Went to see it at the show room then 2 months later got one. 370z was much smoother for me. 350 had a better seating position

Agree on the 370z seating position, it’s way too high 

Recent (decent) car history:

Seat Leon Cupra

Mk4 Toyota Supra TT Aero

Skoda Octavia vRS

Mk1 MX5

Really miss the mk4 supra, made especially worse that they've now skyrocketed in value and when I saw my old car sell last year for double what I sold for, made me cry :(

On ‎15‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 11:41, EzeePzee said:

Recent (decent) car history:

Seat Leon Cupra

Mk4 Toyota Supra TT Aero

Skoda Octavia vRS

Mk1 MX5

Really miss the mk4 supra, made especially worse that they've now skyrocketed in value and when I saw my old car sell last year for double what I sold for, made me cry :(

Ditto on the Supra mate,had 2, was offered a vvti some years back for £13k thought it was too dear !!!! now kicking myself .

9 minutes ago, SeraTaru said:

Came from a 950 cc Hyundai Getz to the 370z.

To say I'm pleased but broke would be an understatement :)

IMG_20190223_144449.jpg

That`s got to be the biggest step-up to date.

Congratulations and welcome to the Z club.

Nice wheels.

Edited by Wayne370Z

• 2 weeks later...

'03 350z GT, to a R33 GTR, and just recently to a '13 370z nismo. The Skyline was epic but rarely got used as it was just too brutal for everyday driving, and it was sad to see it sitting in the garage all the time. Also never really bonded with it because of that, whereas straight away the Nismo feels like something I would never want to sell. 

On 24/02/2019 at 11:22, Wayne370Z said:

That`s got to be the biggest step-up to date.

Congratulations and welcome to the Z club.

Nice wheels.

Crazy, neighbours must have been giving evils!

Problem with smaller engined cars you need to adjust your driving and pre plan steep climbs and downshifts. Just different experience. Then getting up to speed on a flat you realise what your missing. Power!

Edited by GranTurismoEra

2013 - 2018: Polo GTI 6R (2012)

2018 - Present: 370z Nismo Mk2

Polo GTI a lot more practical and nippy around town. Easy to manoeuvre around tight spaces, u-turns, parking etc . Suspension about the same if anything the GTI felt a bit stiffer

370z ten times more road presence; people react to it in the same way to a Ferrari or Porsche and tend to give way, slow down

Point to point in heavy urban areas the GTI got me from A to B quicker as needed less effort to drive and I drive the Z more carefully 

Well, my wee performance era started back in the eighties wi an Opel Manta GTE, great car at the time, getting long in the tooth in 1986 tho but did win engine of the decade in the 70’s, or so I was told by a car enthusiast at the time.  This was a halcyon time of no internet sh1t, so enthusiasts were harder working :teeth:

Then we couldny stop producing weans :lol:, so Manta had to make way for a long line of saloons and hatchbacks, all very mundane and not ‘sporty’

RX8

Weans finally all aff the books roon aboot 2006, so I got me a RX8 231 B)

Unusual, quite quick (very quick by comparison to what I came from), with a whole load of quirky features, top of which had to be the suicide doors, the famous beeb at 9000RPM and the illuminated gear knob :lol: B).  Handling once the REO40’s were changed to 50’s was sublime.  You could use ALL the power available and not feel that you were not in control.  This car taught me a lot about fast road driving (I had some tuition at Knockhill to help on this). 4 useable seats, gentleman’s toilet bag colour scheme with the leather interior (red and black), practical and took me on many a European adventure.

the downfall was the woeful lack of torque, this became most apparent on the climb up the Stelvio Pass, it really was a drivers car then, but you could barely get out of second.  So for the lack of Torque, it had to go! :byebye:

370GT

Next up was a 370 GT, reason for buying a Nissan was a demonstrably large increase in torque that was available.  Much, much quicker than the RX8, not as refined, more ‘grunty’ and always sounded angry ffs! :lol:.  Did all the things I was supposed to do to it, lowered, spacered, exhaust, HFC’s, re-map etc, as instructed and tempted on here!

I could never really use the maximum power with this car, a combination of fear, lack of ability and running out of road.  Tracked it a few times and it was great fun, thrilling without being dramatically fast.  Loved the Rev-match thing that it had going on and made for some smooth driving on twisty roads.  Loved the interior and the nod to former Z cars with the three dials on the dash.  Never quite did the same tours in this car for some reason, but did various UK wide tours, Hebrideas (from south to north), most of the Scottish Highlands, Lake Z, Japfest etc.

Only had the steering lock issue to contend with in the 3 years I had it, but the bullet proof warranty dealt with that, albeit inconvenient at the time.  Biggest downside?  Road noise!  F me, it was draining on long motorway drives, great when you’re barrelling along twisting bits, but NHS level of mental health care required after a long motorway stint :help:

Still, a great wee car.

Mk1 370 Nismo

Then Moved on to ma 370 Mk 1 Nismo, controversial in these here parts pardner, when it was first released, got a fair amount of negativity from the community, but some loved it.  I think it came from the misunderstanding that when it was released, it wasn’t a fire breathing M3/Porsche 911 killer :lol:.  It was way more subtle than just outright performance, sure ye got 16 (?) or so extra ponies and some more torque, but the real deal about it was the suspension and wheelbase/chassis tweaks, not groundbreaking but enough to make a difference.

Styling was controversial as well, with some major negativity from some parts of the community (from some who then went on to buy one :lol:), but I loved it, that big splitter, big gay wing, and I feel that when I added the, genuine, Nismo graphics to the dark tones and pearlescent white paintwork, made the Mk1 Nismo stand out from the crowd, in a way that the Mk2, might not.  All my subjective opinion of course.

Again, I didnt do a lot of trips, Euro or otherwise with this car and, unfortunately, I was deployed to Afghan for 6 months of ownership, but during Pre-Deployment training, it was a great ride to get you back home when training allowed, at weekends, fast, capable, comfortable but still had a few issues regards road noise :lol:  One thing I always got from this car was a tremendous reception from other people, when stopped it was a magnet for camera phones etc (I’d like to say a fanny magnet but I’m happily married :teeth:)

I should have kept her, not because I regretted my next choice or needed the cash for the purchase of my next car, but because in my opinion, it was a beautiful car.  I’d buy it back now in a heartbeat, but practicality might have tae rule that one out.

Ford Mustang 5.0 GT

I must admit, I never liked the look of the pre release press shots of this car, it was a couple of posts by mad StevoD (you’re not mad, but I’ve got a friend Stevo, who when I type his name, and, because he’s mad, my predictive txt comes up with the word:lol:)

I’ve never ever, bought a car that wasn’t even in production yet (RHD), and never waited 10 months or so for it to be built.  But I did for this wee beauty ha!

From the moment I clapped eyes on it, I fell in love, it was awesome looking, colour, Ruby Red, just pinged like a pingy thing, all that flake through it.  The side profile is iconic, and from that moment on, I bought into the ethos and culture of the Mustang.

5.0L of naturally aspirated, laconic, laid back driving nirvana.  Unbelievably comfortable, a few pleasant baubles in the cabin, some nice retro touches, ‘ground speed’ on the speedo, ‘Mustang Since 1964” on the passenger side etc.

once I got over the initial ‘love in’, you do start to notice the less than premium interior, cheap plastics etc, but as the least expensive V8 on the market, that can all be forgiven.  

This car needed work tho, and all those months of waiting were not wasted, constant research on American forums to gain an in-depth knowledge of modding this beastie and then the purchase of some parts, was warranted.

First up FRPP Track Pack, FRPP by Borla Cat Back, spacers, FRPP catch can, the list goes on and on.  I’ve modified or replaced  a lot on this car and it’s a joy to work with.  A lot of stuff that’s been modified is stuff that was left off for the European market, tri-bar DRL’s being one thing.

The brakes, Brembo 6 pot on the fronts, are awesome (as was the braking in all of the above) smooth as butter acceleration, great low down grunt, some quirky features, who doesn’t or wouldn’t like line lock:teeth:.

A departure in many ways from the previous three mentioned, a GT car, a mile muncher, a capable alpine pass car.  Took me and the good lady to Lake Garda, South of France, Le Mans, NC500, all in comfort and fun.  I’ve just had the third service and MOT done, all with no probs, pretty much 24k miles trouble free, mainly and happy motoring.

its not the fastest, it’s not the most modern, it’s not everyone’s cup of tea but it’s a V8 it’s capable and above all, negligible road noise :lol:   Next on the cards is a Supercharger, I already own the VRN, W11 PLD, to give a clue on the type of SC that’s going on.

i was enjoying writing this then I was disturbed by a demanding 18 month old grandson who wants to type as well, so cut a bit short :lol:   It’s a wee bit better than just a list tho :thumbs:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Sorry, I read the title as "what did you come from" rather than "list off everything youve ever owned" ;)

I had modified 200SX's, was seriously considering an S15 Silvia but didnt want to end up with an undriveable 400hp monster when I failed to resist the urge to modify (I was SXOC chairman at the time) :lol:

350Z was better in every respect, as is the 135i I moved onto afterwards :) 

20 hours ago, ilogikal1 said:

I don’t know, a few people have mentioned Civics...

Civics very good reliable cars maybe not the new one and not the best insulated. Hows 5 years with no real electric, mechanical issues sound. How it should be. Shame many cars cant compete with that level of trouble free driving. Not a bad car not even close.