Car shaking when moving off

daniel94

I’ve had a problem with my Zed for 6 couple of months now, and it’s only getting worse so I think I should just stop ignoring it and get it fixed...

so when the car warms up, and only when moving off in first or reverse gear, the car shakes badly. It honestly sounds like it’s going to fall apart. Doesn’t happen if I start moving on second gear (or at least I don’t think it does, tried it couple of times and it was fine). It doesn’t happen all the time but maybe about 50% of the time, and only when the engine is warm.

had the clutch replaced couple of months ago so I don’t think it is the clutch, unless it was fitted incorrectly or faulty clutch?

I tried googling it but I only get results where car is shaking when cold, not warm.

anyone got any clue what might be causing this?

TIA

Which model is it? Am sure I read that some HR's suffered from this and was solved with a re-map??

My HR was never smooth when pulling off unless you gave it a decent amount of revs. For you to pull off in second you would need to rev more hence no problem in second.

I am sure someone with more knowledge than me will be along to offer help soon ..

4 hours ago, Ponsonby said:

Which model is it? Am sure I read that some HR's suffered from this and was solved with a re-map??

My HR was never smooth when pulling off unless you gave it a decent amount of revs. For you to pull off in second you would need to rev more hence no problem in second.

I am sure someone with more knowledge than me will be along to offer help soon ..

It is a DE. Tbh if I give it some more revs it does not happen, only when moving off slowly (moving off from the red light with slow car in front or trying a 3 point turn).

2 hours ago, Payco said:

faulty coil pack ?

Would it not throw a missfiring code then? I will have a look at my coil packs and see if I can see anything wrong. Did not even think to check this kind of stuff tbh.

39 minutes ago, Jetpilot said:

Flywheel would be my bet, had this on my first 350, the clutch was done but they scrimped on doing the flywheel. If you give it a few revs does it still do it?

It might be it, as it was done by a previous owner in the garage that I have heard are scrimping on everything they can.... Thanks for the suggestion!

Mine didn't throw up a code.I'm just throwing it out there as when I owned my 350z I had a not dissimilar issue and it turned out to be the coil pack. Don't want to send you on a wild goose chase as I am no mechanic, just sharing personal experience. Hope you get to the bottom of it soon.

Edited by Payco

1 hour ago, Payco said:

Mine didn't throw up a code.I'm just throwing it out there as when I owned my 350z I had a not dissimilar issue and it turned out to be the coil pack. Don't want to send you on a wild goose chase as I am no mechanic, just sharing personal experience. Hope you get to the bottom of it soon.

Ok, I will have a look at my coil packs today. Thanks for the advice :)

• Like 1

Sounds like clutch judder to me, could be old flywheel and a new clutch or it just needs a new clutch - what's the mileage?

Other options are;

Axle tramp - not likely at low speed and low rev's (unless your Wasso as that V8 can make it shake :lol: 

Worn rear gearbox mount - Should happen when cold as well though

UJ on prop worn - again should happen when cold and you get vibration at speed, feels like the wheels are out of balance.

So I'm back with the clutch plate being knackered or if it has a dual mass fly wheel (OEM/Standard) it could also be a broken spring in that, the heat will affect this more than any of the others.

Just my tuppence worth :)

Good luck, hope you get it sorted :thumbs:

I just realised the clutch has been replaced :shrug: Could still be judder if the flywheel wasn't replaced, I'd go with coil pack but you can just rev more, if the car won't pick up then I'd say coil pack, air leak throttle position etc but if it "only happens when pulling" off it has to be drive chain. That only logically leaves the clutch in my mind.

Do let us know what you find :)

My coil pack failure didn't bring up a error code.

1 hour ago, Chrissaxon said:

It can't be the coil pack.if it was it would show up . It only leaves the clutch plate and pressure plate. I guess it has a slight warp in it. Or it has not been a lined up correctly.  Check all couplings first .

20 hours ago, daniel94 said:

It is a DE. Tbh if I give it some more revs it does not happen, only when moving off slowly (moving off from the red light with slow car in front or trying a 3 point turn).

This is why i said flywheel, exactly the same as my first 350, a few revs and it was fine but if you tried to pull away slowly and smoothly it was hideous.

8 hours ago, Jetpilot said:

This is why i said flywheel, exactly the same as my first 350, a few revs and it was fine but if you tried to pull away slowly and smoothly it was hideous.

When did you ever pull away slowly then ???? :lol: