Stock Really That Quiet?

Sit

Afternoon,

Just posted in the Intro forum as currently in the market for a 370Z roadster poss coupe depending on what I can find in budget.

A lot of the reviews I have read/watched all highlight the lack of noise produced from the stock exhaust given it has a whacking great 3.7 up front - is it THAT bad?

If I wanted more noise but not OTT what is the go to mod, is this the sort of exhaust you can have opened up and altered to retain the stock look but with more noise like the E92 M3?

Failing that perhaps de-catting, I am not sure just after people’s thoights?

Si

Guess it depends on your personal preference really but for most people the oem exhaust is too quiet and doesn't do the lovely V6 justice.

There's a few different options really-

- Swap the back box out for a set of short tails (resonated or not). 

- Replace the whole system with a cat-back exhaust, there's loads of different ones about that offer different volumes/tones. 

- Replace the oem cats with either high flow sports cats or decats

I've got a set of Torqen high flow cats and an invidia gemini cat-back exhaust on my 350 which is just right for me, really sings when you open up the throttle but not stupidly loud when cruising around :teeth:

Edited by Jack94

As above my 370z has high flow cats paired with an invidia Gemini exhaust and it sounds awesome. Although when I had it with standard cats it sounded great as well. It's all down to personal taste really. But in answer to your question, yes the stock exhaust is very quiet indeed :lol:

• Like 1

Thanks for the prompt replies, I don’t want it to drone on longer runs or be in your face at all - getting old now!! Lol!

When I had my MK5 R32 the stock exhaust sounded lovely, it was swapped to a non res Miltek which was awful so changed the non res pipe for a res one and that was much better.

Need to get out and try a stock one I think, I guess the roadster has the advantage of being top down so probably get more noise compared to coupe?

Si

First, the OEM exhaust is really really quiet. you barely hear a thing below 4k rpm.

Second, Try to replace either the HFC or Short tail to see if that is loud enough for you. I added both to my 370z and it was too loud like a V12! 

my current set up is HFC + invidia gemini and imo it is a good combination of sound and noise level. But that would cause round 1.5 grand in total.

If you are on a budget, try the short tail first :thumbs:

Edited by Akumanozetto
  • Like 1

I am in the older age group too and am not into modifying cars but when I had my 370 GT Edition I was so underwhelmed by the noise it made I fitted a Cobra resonated half system. Made enjoyment of the car several times better. The stock system is very quiet and the engine does not sound great at higher revs. Even worse in the 370Z Nismo, the exhaust was only slightly louder than a 'normal' 370Z but was drowned out by the stupid manufactured noise that Nissan pipes into the cabin in a pathetic attempt to cover up the fact the exhaust is too quiet.

I have Ark Grip too. Lovely exhaust but I had a major fitment issue that couldn’t be resolved by any amount of adjustment - ended up requiring one of the tips to be removed, shortened and welded back on so it didn’t stick out about an inch more than the other one.  Total PITA!  Happy with it now though.  

RX8 - Borla, 370GT - Akrapovic + Berk Technology Hi Flo Cats, Mk1 370 Nismo -Ark GRiP, all lovely sounding, but after replacing back to stock when selling, it was a refreshing change.

Running a FRPP by Borla Touring on my Mustang now, truly makes an awesome sound over stock.

The two Borla’s are the best sounding exhausts I’ve ever had or heard, on a Rotary and a V8.  The combination that Borla offer is astounding, Touring, Sport or Attack, resonated, non res, H or X pipe, outstanding.  On a V6?  No idea, but would be interesting to find out. Quietest was the Akro, before hi flo cats, loudest? Definitely the  FRPP by Borla.