Future 350 Owner

Hi all,

I’m Steve from Coventry, currently have a modified Mini Cooper S R53 but looking to move back to Jap and get my first 350Z once the Mini is gone. 

I’ll probably be a little quiet to begin with due to just using the search function as I’m sure all the questions I’ve got have been asked a billion times before already but looking forward to getting one in the next month or two if all goes to plan. 

Thanks for the warm welcome guys. 

Yea I’ve been Jap before albeit nothing really classed as a “Sports Car”

(Honda Civic Coupe EJ6, Toyota Yaris T Sport and Mk2 Mazda MX5 1.8)

But it you’re right, once it’s in your veins you can’t shake it. The Mini is bags of fun and well equipped but I need to cut my losses on it as I’ve put £6k just in parts into modifying it and if I keep it I’ll most likely spend that again without realising until it’s too late :doh:

• 8 months later...

Well it’s taken 9 months (albeit I took the Mini off sale for a good chunk of that due to time wasters) but it sold yesterday and today I’ve been and put a deposit down on an 04 UK GT spec 350. Plan is to collect it next Sunday all being well, can’t wait! 

• Like 1

Well she’s home! Round trip from Coventry up to Leeds and back to fetch her and she purred perfectly all the way home. Very impressed! First jobs are to service all the fluids for piece of mind and find a decent stubby aerial as the current carbon effect one is completely useless so recommendations welcome.

09403374-798C-4CB1-9BF8-46ECDFE0EA7A.jpeg.fa78fa374594781872a8f29e02403dc6.jpeg

• Like 1

On ‎09‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 13:34, Shunter8 said:

Thanks for the warm welcome guys. 

Yea I’ve been Jap before albeit nothing really classed as a “Sports Car”

(Honda Civic Coupe EJ6, Toyota Yaris T Sport and Mk2 Mazda MX5 1.8)

But it you’re right, once it’s in your veins you can’t shake it. The Mini is bags of fun and well equipped but I need to cut my losses on it as I’ve put £6k just in parts into modifying it and if I keep it I’ll most likely spend that again without realising until it’s too late :doh:

Welcome. Great cars but don't expect not to mod it if you spend any amount of time on here.:band: 

8 hours ago, Payco said:

Welcome. Great cars but don't expect not to mod it if you spend any amount of time on here.:band: 

Oh I don’t doubt I’ll be modding it. Just not as hardcore as I went with the Mini (fixed bucket seat, half cage, harness etc). The problem I have is the car is quite good as it is so I’ll be choosing my mods very carefully so I don’t end up ruining it 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Shunter8 said:

Oh I don’t doubt I’ll be modding it. Just not as hardcore as I went with the Mini (fixed bucket seat, half cage, harness etc). The problem I have is the car is quite good as it is so I’ll be choosing my mods very carefully so I don’t end up ruining it 

I remember saying that before I had my old 350z when it was stock. Then I came on here and things soon changed.

my 350z.jpg

• Haha 1

My target with this car is more of an OEM+ route so it seems to be termed as. I want to keep it quite comfortable and not compromise the ability to use it daily, which is what I ended up doing with the Mini. I still did drive it daily but had to plan routes to avoid speed bumps etc and it just got annoying not being able to just jump in and drive anywhere which is what I now already enjoy about the 350. But I do want to personalise it and make it the best it can be just without ruining it.

Right then, so first mod, or more like de-mod done this morning, out with the black (I assume aftermarket) gearknob and in with a brand new OEM one to match the interior:

1609346141_3501.jpg.2f338160f676e09395d6f07128d20699.jpg

1535290083_3502.jpg.ab8d9c0f8e071712e4184d6146b1ef6c.jpg

And then next on my list, which I think I can guess the answer to but just want to confirm, is this "insulation" in the boot OEM or something a previous owner has stuffed in there?:

1942450447_3503.jpg.67e2328db5d1ea9e75c2612f33d8fba3.jpg

Then lastly, where's the best place to buy OEM parts from? I need a new rear wiper arm (yes the whole arm) but when googling it just brings up loads of American based sites that list them but nothing within the UK. Are there any places online or is it a dealer job?

Thanks

• Like 1

looks to me that the previous owner has stuffed that loft insulation in the boot to reduce the noise. I don't have it on mine and i've recently stripped the boot to rectify leaking vents and there was no sign of insulation. 

Worth removing that stuff and checking for leaks or if it is wet at all with the awful weather we have been having 

Just now, Mikey_S said:

looks to me that the previous owner has stuffed that loft insulation in the boot to reduce the noise. I don't have it on mine and i've recently stripped the boot to rectify leaking vents and there was no sign of insulation. 

Worth removing that stuff and checking for leaks or if it is wet at all with the awful weather we have been having 

Yea I thought as much, didn't look like something that would have been there from factory but you never know. I'll pull it out a little later and check it, don't recall it being wet when I touched it but will double check it on removal. If it turns out it needs sound deadening I'll go the proper route with Dynamat or equivalent rather than this ghetto approach.

Thanks for the quick reply.