A performance daily?

LukeA

2 hours ago, Ekona said:

I have no idea if that's a typo or not, but if it's supposed to be a portmanteau of options and opinions then i love that! :D 

:lol: this is what happens you don’t sleep properly combined with a lot of overtime at work, if anyone wants to use my new word feel free :lol: I don’t take responsibility if you look stupid though :bangin:

• Like 1

so what's it going to be? Not much out there that doesnt have huge repair costs or some issue or another. Have too live with whatever shortcomings your choice may have

Mustangs do look good. The V8 sounds crazy. A rev off between that and the E92 M3. Something from the heavens

Edited by GranTurismoEra

You can get a low mileage, late 16, early 17 Mustang GT for around £27K.  It’s not that large a car, sitting behind the wheel it feels large, but it’s smaller than a Mondeo.  An unmodified one does need tweaks to make it a bit more planted, such as a Track Pack or updated sway bars and coilovers, simple set of springs is not enough on its own regarding  suspension set up.  Budget around £1.5k for either, including fitting and geometry.  On the noise front, a set of axle backs or a cat back is a must, the stock is not that great.

The stock 16-18 tyres (P Zeros), are shockingly bad in the cold or, from slightly damp!  They’re only rated down to 7deg C.  Budget for a set of Michelin tyres, to complement a decent suspension set up, so another £8-900.

Power wise, out the box is pretty good, some aftermarket tunes can add a few ponies but as a rule of thumb, it’s about £3K per 100hp (18 manifold, headers and tune, for instance, gives @ 100hp for £3k investment, Roush or Whipple stage 2 SC, after importing, fitting and tuning (several experts around the country re fitting/tuning (Lund, the preferred option) much cheaper importing the SC yourself rather than using a trader, will run @ £9K fitted and tuned, depending on deal struck with supplier, this will give anywhere between 720 and 850hp.

so now it’s nearer £40k, however, for a £27K base and if you enjoy modifying your car, it’s a great one to play with.

The Mustang is more a ‘capable’ GT than what you might want, a ‘supercar’, however, it is more than capable on most roads.  It’s not a car, I’d say, for fannying about in town, ‘shooting the breeze’ with the corsa/Golf mob.

Having been over the Alps twice and completed the whole of the Route Napoleon (with a few other choice south of France roads), tremendous fun, capable and on the right Autobahn, you’ll be going faster than the ground speed dial goes up to, without too much drama.  Apparently, my friend reckons, we’re in the 175+ club :lol:

I use my car as a daily, winter 17-20 mpg, summer 22-25, motorway/cruising can get as high as 35+, even on an Autobahn at a steady 110-120, the V8 is hardly working in this scenario.  It’s not a car for the track IMO, that’s not to say that owners don’t track them, but not dedicated track use.

Hope that helps in any decision on a Mustang, it’s coming from an owner of three nearly three years, if you do get one, make sure it’s a GT not an eco boost, you will end up embarrassed when someone asks for a rev :lol:.  

Good of luck with the search :thumbs:

• Like 2

On 07/02/2019 at 12:14, GranTurismoEra said:

so what's it going to be? 

Still can’t make my mind up, I’ve still got to wait  till the zed sells so gives me time to think. I’m gonna need a while thinking :lol:

On 08/02/2019 at 01:07, The G Man said:

You can get a low mileage, late 16, early 17 Mustang GT for around £27K.  It’s not that large a car, sitting behind the wheel it feels large, but it’s smaller than a Mondeo.  An unmodified one does need tweaks to make it a bit more planted, such as a Track Pack or updated sway bars and coilovers, simple set of springs is not enough on its own regarding  suspension set up.  Budget around £1.5k for either, including fitting and geometry.  On the noise front, a set of axle backs or a cat back is a must, the stock is not that great.

Yeah not a bad looking car just doesn’t grab my attention but starting to realise nothing that grabs my eye is in my price range. How I love expensive taste :/