A performance daily?

LukeA

4 hours ago, LukeA said:

Yeah I get the value will go down drastically. 

The suspension was aftermarket. I believe the ome suspension was around 6k for a full set :lol:

Exactly. Which is why no one wants a cheap one that’s been scrimped on, so it may well cost you much more long term. £6k for OEM stuff sounds about right to me. 

5 hours ago, marzman said:

Mustang? I know it's not everyone's cup of tea and nowhere near the standard of cars mentioned on this thread, but it's within your price range and probably a better car for a daily. I've got the 5.0 V8 which is about as cheap as a Mondeo, but gets an insane amount of attention everywhere i go.  Just yesterday an old fella got his phone out and filmed me leaving Tesco's.  Can get as high as 22mpg when driving sensibly on A roads, but typically get 19mpg.

It's also got the lairy fun factor that it sounds like you're after - i.e. i'm replacing my rear tyres now after only 6k miles from new. :)  It's extremely tail happy.

There's also a big modding scene which has been fun for me to get back into.

What’s the handling like on one of these? My mate did mention it the other day after seeing the Grand tour and got me thinking so could be a possibility. 

1 hour ago, LukeA said:

What’s the handling like on one of these? My mate did mention it the other day after seeing the Grand tour and got me thinking so could be a possibility. 

Well they don’t use leaf springs anymore :lol:

Seriously though..... From the couple I have been in they handle great. Not the stigma that follows yank tanks 

• Haha 1

I have just had to look up Audi R8`s - I didn't realise they were so cheap now. Less than £30k for some. Mad! And yet Gallardo`s are still double that.

There's a lot of performance cars out there for your budget, but don't forget to factor in insurance costs due to your age.

With regards to the Porsche thing, I too never liked them. I thought they all looked the same. However, when I was in a similar boat (looking for a daily performance car) with a similar budget a few years back I started looking at them for the first time. I really wanted a Gallardo, but I also needed 4 seats in order to drop the kids off at school etc... which kinda limited my choices. I started off reading up on 911`s, all the various models, then figured I may as well go straight for a 996 Turbo as they were around £30k or less. As with anything, the more you look into something the more your budget increases and increases and I ended up with a 997 Turbo. Initially I didn't like it, but after having the suspension setup correctly I loved it. 2.5 years and 35,000 miles later I cant think of anything else I could get for the same money which would be as good. Its practical for shopping & kids in the back, does 28mpg on my daily commute, with nearly 700bhp now there`s not much quicker which I come up against, it handles like its on rails and with 4WD and engine in the boot the grip is unbelievable. As for the "all look the same" thing, that's actually an advantage to me now as I can leave it parked on the road over night, or in Tesco carpark and noone even bats an eyelid. And yet for those who know, the sleek curvy lines, the wide hips, the massive air scoops and the boot spoiler make the car look pretty good. :thumbs:

On 02/02/2019 at 18:32, LukeA said:

I will he taking servicing costs and maintenance cost into account as well and I know the Gtr is bad for this :lol:

Pretty much anything high end, r8, gtr, aston, maserati is going to be right at the bottom of the market for your budget and going to be costly on parts, even if labour is free from the old man and i have to be honest if a category write off R8 is the only R8 in budget, i wouldnt want my hard earned going anywhere near it, likely to be a complete money pit and a pig to sell at a later date.

Lotus Elise will be the cheapest to run from the list.

The Mustang is a good shout though, ticks all the boxes, relatively new  model so unlikely to have loads of miles and worn out parts,  

• Like 1

I got bored of my 2016 A45 AMG pretty quickly and that was after a remap that it took it well over 400bhp.  They're very capable, but a bit soulless and don't attract nearly as much interest when out and about as my much cheaper, slower, 370Z (if that matters to you).

16 hours ago, LukeA said:

Handling is okay.  It is straight line quick and stops well.  It's not a particularly engaging drive and doesnt provide much feedback, and to be honest the bloody size of the thing makes me nervous to push on at too much speed.  It's a big car.  Although i guess you'd get that with a GTR or R8 too.  I enjoy caning my beat up old BMW e90 320d more as i can really push on with that and the feedback is great.  In the Mustang you're at licence losing speeds in < 5 seconds so you don't really get that much of a chance to push it to it's limits.

6 hours ago, sipar69 said:

I got bored of my 2016 A45 AMG pretty quickly and that was after a remap that it took it well over 400bhp.  They're very capable, but a bit soulless and don't attract nearly as much interest when out and about as my much cheaper, slower, 370Z (if that matters to you).

Very much the same with my RS3 which is why I am back in a 350Z and loving it. A car with soul..

But then the O/P wants a daily so the criteria may be different

• Like 1

7 hours ago, R35LEE said:

My vote would be A45 AMG or M3 E90/E92 :thumbs:

As said below I’ve heard a few times the A45 AMG is boring and I was interested in it before. 

1 hour ago, marzman said:

Handling is okay.  It is straight line quick and stops well.  It's not a particularly engaging drive and doesnt provide much feedback, and to be honest the bloody size of the thing makes me nervous to push on at too much speed.  It's a big car.  Although i guess you'd get that with a GTR or R8 too.  I enjoy caning my beat up old BMW e90 320d more as i can really push on with that and the feedback is great.  In the Mustang you're at licence losing speeds in < 5 seconds so you don't really get that much of a chance to push it to it's limits.

I would something that has amazing handling but does make me think about test driving one. I’m not scared of pushing it to its limits hence 2 speeding ban for 110+ :bangin:

35 minutes ago, Ponsonby said:

Very much the same with my RS3 which is why I am back in a 350Z and loving it. A car with soul..

But then the O/P wants a daily so the criteria may be different

A car with a soul is a good way of summing up what I want. I currently have a 350z for a daily so you can tell I don’t need much room or anything that would define a daily driver for others such as good mpg or rear seats

1 hour ago, hmale4yu said:

would def avoid old high mileage exotics as stated above so would go for this at £26k

fe150cb36e1f4ab79dc06e52a4dd7844.jpg

Oh god lol I hate civics just remind me of teenagers in McDonald’s car parks. I know the new one is totally in a different league now but still don’t like it :lol:

• Haha 1

Not sure what's being twisted. You can be pushing the limits of a car at 20 mph on a tight, wet hairpin, or nowhere near the limit in the same car at 200+ on a straight stretch of motorway.

Without context, the speed is irrelevant,  but equally you can't discredit the statement based on speed alone.

Discussions of pedantry aside, I'd up the budget and look at the 4C, @LukeA.

Pretty sure he wasn’t doing 110mph on a tight twisty road though. If he was that’s dangerous and/or stupid, if it was on a dc or motorway then it was boring. Again, in the context of what he said, not being pedantic. 

4C as a daily is a terrible idea. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Ekona said:

Pretty sure he wasn’t doing 110mph on a tight twisty road though. If he was that’s dangerous and/or stupid, if it was on a dc or motorway then it was boring. Again, in the context of what he said, not being pedantic. 

4C as a daily is a terrible idea. 

I mean, being on limit on a public road at 110+ is arguably dangerous and stupid regardless, but that's not really the point. Can think of a fair few roads round me with nice sweeping corners where speeds of around 110 would be pushing the limits of grip.

4C vs OP's requirements:

- Not roomy or spacious :thumbs:

- No rear seats  :thumbs:

- Handles better than an RX8 or 350z  :thumbs:

- Radio and AC  :thumbs:

- Not a 370Z  :thumbs:

- Exotic  :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

- 07+  :thumbs:

- Soul  :thumbs:

It's over budget and a smidge underpowered, but similar in price to an R8 that's being considered, a much better sports car, and 500kg lighter.

Interestingly, I was looking at a couple of 4Cs the other day and having a chat with a guy that dailies his and loves it.

Yeah was stupid times for me, was caught doing 120 on a motorway and that’s only what they could prove apparently. 

As as for the 4c it’s a nice looking car and would be good for me but over budget like the R8 otherwise I would get the R8. 

The corvette is okay just left hand drive 

Im just trying to stay under 25k and don’t want to go anymore but thanks for the optionions :)