A performance daily?

LukeA

Hi ladies and gents,

im in need of ideas of a daily + performance car. It’s probably been covered a few times but I really can’t decide. 

I like going out with a few mates and going round the forest and backroads for a spirited drive with them + work is only round the corner from me a few miles but I do like the luxury’s in a car for a nice long drive. 

I have a few few ideas of an Aston Martin V8 vantage or Audi R8, personally I’m leaning towards the R8 as it’s more of a supercar then the AM. 

The only problem with the R8 is the price of 33k as I would have to finance a fair bit of that. 

What i want:

- budget 25k 

-Doesn’t need room or spacious

-doesnt need rear seats

- handling needs to outdo an Rx8 and 350z

- power I would like Atleast 250bhp at fly

- needs ac and radio daily luxury’s, rules our stripped cars

- don’t really like the 370z (sorry :) )

- would prefer something more exotic

- would prefer something newer 2007+

Porsche not really sure on but not driven one, to common is the downside for me. Maybe a lotus?

Any help would be muchly appreciated 

thanks in advance 

Edited by LukeA

I get your Porsche thing but they're great to drive. For the Lotus, for 2007 onwards, I think you're looking at the Evora. Not too keen on them personally.

How about something different like this...

Alfa Romeo 4C (this does mean going for a stretched budget like the R8)
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201812123186261?atmobcid=soc3

I think Caymans are better :p 

At 25K an Aston or R8 is going to be a moneypit, Astons arent much faster and arguably handle worse than Zeds anyway, definitely worse than RX8s (most things do) :lol: 

As per others, M Cars, RS Audis and Lotii are probably where its at, Mercs dont handle as well. Jag XFR is surprisingly capable for what it is, youre nearly at F Type money there too ......

Thanks for the help guys :thumbs:

The Astons have dropped a lot in value which made me think of it nearer to 25k budget then an R8. 

I woukd prefer to stay away from anything above 25k so the Alfa and F type are out for me. 

The 911 is a good shout and personally I think would make the best car for me just I really don’t like them :(  Test driving one for me is difficult as I’m only 24 and look about 18 so dealerships don’t really trust me :lol: understandably though

my other option is a written of Audi R8 and fix it up, I have the people behind me to do it and help if anything goes wrong but it’s just the risk. 

Dont like Bmw’s, lotus Evora I have been looking at which is on my mind. As for merc cars there are really nice and the c63 sounds amazing but not sure on the handling of these especially when it’s round the forest and nippy corners. 

4 minutes ago, LukeA said:

Thanks for the help guys :thumbs:

The Astons have dropped a lot in value which made me think of it nearer to 25k budget then an R8. 

I woukd prefer to stay away from anything above 25k so the Alfa and F type are out for me. 

The 911 is a good shout and personally I think would make the best car for me just I really don’t like them :(  Test driving one for me is difficult as I’m only 24 and look about 18 so dealerships don’t really trust me :lol: understandably though

my other option is a written of Audi R8 and fix it up, I have the people behind me to do it and help if anything goes wrong but it’s just the risk. 

Dont like Bmw’s, lotus Evora I have been looking at which is on my mind. As for merc cars there are really nice and the c63 sounds amazing but not sure on the handling of these especially when it’s round the forest and nippy corners. 

I think your going to have to extend your budget to get a decent Aston and as Doc says, they are very much more GT than sports, a friend had one and it sounded awesome and a nice drive but really not suited to darting round the forest.

I had the Evoras on the radar too, but imho to get a good model your looking at £40k plus, the early ones in your budget werent that highly rated, have a good read first and obviously a test drive.

Nothing wrong with not liking Porsches, i am the same, if you dont like em, you dont like em simple, plenty of choice besides, maybe not as good but the world would be a boring place if we all drove the same cars and seems you have a few options.

Get out and drive a few of the options, it will probably soon become apparent which you like most and even try a Porsche, it might get you hooked.

4 hours ago, Jetpilot said:

I think your going to have to extend your budget to get a decent Aston and as Doc says, they are very much more GT than sports, a friend had one and it sounded awesome and a nice drive but really not suited to darting round the forest.

I had the Evoras on the radar too, but imho to get a good model your looking at £40k plus, the early ones in your budget werent that highly rated, have a good read first and obviously a test drive.

Nothing wrong with not liking Porsches, i am the same, if you dont like em, you dont like em simple, plenty of choice besides, maybe not as good but the world would be a boring place if we all drove the same cars and seems you have a few options.

Get out and drive a few of the options, it will probably soon become apparent which you like most and even try a Porsche, it might get you hooked.

Yeah I think Aston’s are out of mind as it’s a GT car. 

The evora I haven’t looked at that much so will have a better look into that one :thumbs: but as you say if a decent one is to much then that’s out too. 

Yeah I’ll see what I can do for test drives maybe a Porsche will change my mind when I drive it. 

As for the Gtr’s I thought they were a lot higher around the 30’s but seeing there that low I might have a look. 

I will he taking servicing costs and maintenance cost into account as well and I know the Gtr is bad for this :lol:

thanks for the help guys gives me a few ideas but still not certain on a choice yet

18 hours ago, DoogyRev said:

I am out of touch with UK prices, but could you not get a GTR for that money?

A 911 would be my shout

You can get a GTR circa £30,000 - £33,000 but 2009 with a high mileage.

Theres one on autotrader for £28,000 but with near 110,000 miles. Roasted....

Maintenance on those will be several grand a year. 

25k was going to say Z4 M which I would consider and save the rest of the money. Cayman 3.4 older, Lotus, TVR but how reliable are they? 

My colleague had the v8 Aston. Said nice car great sound visiting the dealer servicing enough said.

GTR servicing costs, tires, brakes plus extended warranty at Litchfields. Id say have a spare £3k -£5k handy at all times lol. The older the worse it gets.

Edited by GranTurismoEra

On 02/02/2019 at 18:37, LRF4N said:

Never driven one but mazza gt? More cruiser or would that fit the bill?

I do like the look of them but more of a crusier so I’ll pass on that one. 

On 03/02/2019 at 09:52, docwra said:

Have you ever driven a BMW M car? Im not sure I know anyone who hasnt walked away impressed, they are very different from the normal Bimmers. 

Tbh I’ve never driven one but it’s the same as the Porsche I just don’t see a beemer that I like the look of :/ 

the Gtr is to much for maintenance costs for me. 

Im still looking at its hard to find something as good as the R8 as it’s a sports car but good daily at the same time just a shame on the price :( maybe I’ll save for another year or look for one that’s crashed and repairable just no frame damage

Don’t think that an R8 will be much cheaper on costs than a GTR, go and have a look at the price of discs, pads, clutches, suspension etc. Given they’re a Gallardo underneath, you can probably guess on how much bits like that might be...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ekona said:

Don’t think that an R8 will be much cheaper on costs than a GTR, go and have a look at the price of discs, pads, clutches, suspension etc. Given they’re a Gallardo underneath, you can probably guess on how much bits like that might be...

I was surprised when I looked as a brake set on a R8 is around 1-1.5k and the clutch was 2k. The only problem was the suspension as it tends to leek but a coil over set is 1.5k. 

1 hour ago, sipar69 said:

Unless you're a very good home mechanic, buying anything that sits right at the bottom of the price range for these sorts of cars is liable to be a false economy. 

I have my dad who owed a garage for many years and rebuilt a gt40 plus many others and all his contacts so won’t be to bad if I get into difficulty with it 

1 hour ago, Ekona said:

Then watch the value drop. 

Which suspension set is only £1500? Not OEM I bet, which again will destroy the value. 

Yeah I get the value will go down drastically. 

The suspension was aftermarket. I believe the ome suspension was around 6k for a full set :lol:

Mustang? I know it's not everyone's cup of tea and nowhere near the standard of cars mentioned on this thread, but it's within your price range and probably a better car for a daily. I've got the 5.0 V8 which is about as cheap as a Mondeo, but gets an insane amount of attention everywhere i go.  Just yesterday an old fella got his phone out and filmed me leaving Tesco's.  Can get as high as 22mpg when driving sensibly on A roads, but typically get 19mpg.

It's also got the lairy fun factor that it sounds like you're after - i.e. i'm replacing my rear tyres now after only 6k miles from new. :)  It's extremely tail happy.

There's also a big modding scene which has been fun for me to get back into.

Edited by marzman
  • Like 1