A few post MOT questions

heyho

Had my 2004 Z for around 18 months now (it's the one with the Hulk in the engine bay if anyone remembers that).

In that time I have had a couple of MOT's and the following advisories:

• Front Brake pipe corroded, covered in grease or other material both (1.1.11 (c))
  • Front Brake disc worn, pitted or scored, but not seriously weakened both (1.1.14 (a) (ii))
  • Offside Front Tyre worn close to legal limit/worn on edge inner edge (5.2.3 (e))
  • Nearside Rear Wheel bearing has slight play (5.1.3 (a) (i)

Looking to keep this car (I love it) so might attempt or get these done. Questions:

Brake discs - Brembo brakes. Any advice on replacement discs please

Tyre wear - is this normal given the setup. they are Uniroyal 255 35 R19's and other than the inner edge these tyres must have 6mm plus left on them

Surprised at front brake pipe as these are supposed to be replaced braided.

This is all simple stuff.

I'm using slotted StopTech discs from @Adrian@TORQEN, I use the car on track quite frequently and they've held up very well.

Probably cheaper options but your decision of course.

Tyres, ensure you have an alignment check every 6 months in the future, the check is free at various places. 

I've no idea about your car, so if it's all stock there is only a very limited amount they can adjust. But do post up an image of the current reading.

Wheel bearing is another easy thing, check the traders or wherever you want. Anyone with a bearing press can do that, just ensure they clean the mating surfaces before inserting the new one.

The brake 'pipe' - well what do they mean exactly ?

Post some photo's please. 

Once again, if it's just the brake lines you can get new braided ones. If they mean the hardlines are corroded, then this is a different matter because changing that for another will take someone with some patience to swap out. It's not hard but time consuming !

• Thanks 1

Babe pipe refers to the rigid pipes, on an mot the flexi bits are referred to as hoses. Front brake pipe is a little vague as there is a few of them. Some places do free brake inspections so a second opinion for clarity may be with while. If they're not too bad you could treat the existing pipes to stop them getting worse. According to the new mot narratives, they could have already been treated and are in fact fine. 

• Thanks 1

I have had the brake pipe corrosion advisory before... took it back to the same guy the next year and not a word said:lol:

The disc and tyres are just general wear and tear items and simple to replace. Shame the tyre is under limit on the edge but maybe this is an alignment issue, as said above!

The wheel bearing would be the one I would be thinking about getting booked in if you dont want to take on the task. It took me 4/5 hours, with many cups of tea, and cost approx. £80 for a replacement bearing. 

• Thanks 1

If you don't mind getting your hands dirty doing it yourself and you don't intend on using your car as a "track weapon", the standard Brembo discs and pads will probably suffice.  
Look out for deals on Eurocarparts/carparts4less and purchase the discs and pads from there.  I changed my discs and pads after a similar advisory last year.

As an example, you can get the Brembo front discs and pads from carparts4less (ECP's online only shop) for £169.20 delivered at the moment.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, skate2create said:

If you don't mind getting your hands dirty doing it yourself and you don't intend on using your car as a "track weapon", the standard Brembo discs and pads will probably suffice.  
Look out for deals on Eurocarparts/carparts4less and purchase the discs and pads from there.  I changed my discs and pads after a similar advisory last year.

As an example, you can get the Brembo front discs and pads from carparts4less (ECP's online only shop) for £169.20 delivered at the moment.

Is this the pagid ones? would you recommend them or are brembos, ebc better?

37 minutes ago, CAL-85 said:

Is this the pagid ones? would you recommend them or are brembos, ebc better?

Nope, that's the price for OEM Spec Brembos.  I used to put cheaper brakes (i.e. Pagids) on my previous Fiats, I don't think I'd scrimp on a car with this much power ;) 

• Thanks 1

As others have said, sounds like severe uneven tyre wear which points to your geometry being out.

Get it done at least annually and if you change anything then get the geometry done otherwise you may well get excessive tyre wear.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, skate2create said:

Are these purchased separately or as a kit?

Had all my brake and discs replaced recently, got them from AZ-Parts Wakefield (£220 ish for 4 discs https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FOR-NISSAN-350Z-FRONT-REAR-KINETIX-DIMPLED-GROOVED-PERFORMANCE-BRAKE-DISCS-SET-/252898413495). They are Kinetic (some say they are the same factory that produces for MTEC brakes). Brembo pads from ECP (around £50 all 4 sets using discount code that they happy display on their main webpage). I also purchased some pad shims from Clark Motorsports (i can't remember but around £25 ish for 4 shims) Labour of £15 per corner to swap by my local mechanic. All in for £355, hence around £177.50 for just front. I don't track my zed hence any decent make will do. Drove just over 1000 miles since I replace them. Braking improved compared to my previous discs and pads (unknown brand).

edit - i got them kinetix as they looked nice (grooved and dimpled) B)

Edited by veeg33

1 hour ago, heyho said:

Are these purchased separately or as a kit?

Separately.

Discs, they price as individual but they will only sell you them in pairs. discs
Pads are per axles (so 2 pairs). pads

If you're using Carparts4less use discount code PAYDAY to get 17% off the total price.

Alternatively if you have a Eurocarparts nearby, find the same parts and use their discount code to get everything for £166.48 with free click and collect.

Edited by skate2create
ECP price added.

2 hours ago, veeg33 said:

Had all my brake and discs replaced recently, got them from AZ-Parts Wakefield (£220 ish for 4 discs https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FOR-NISSAN-350Z-FRONT-REAR-KINETIX-DIMPLED-GROOVED-PERFORMANCE-BRAKE-DISCS-SET-/252898413495). They are Kinetic (some say they are the same factory that produces for MTEC brakes). Brembo pads from ECP (around £50 all 4 sets using discount code that they happy display on their main webpage). I also purchased some pad shims from Clark Motorsports (i can't remember but around £25 ish for 4 shims) Labour of £15 per corner to swap by my local mechanic. All in for £355, hence around £177.50 for just front. I don't track my zed hence any decent make will do. Drove just over 1000 miles since I replace them. Braking improved compared to my previous discs and pads (unknown brand).

Hi,

The discs you put the link to are they brembo size?

Cheers

39 minutes ago, CAL-85 said:

Hi,

The discs you put the link to are they brembo size?

Cheers

Yes, they are. The sizes in the description says 324mm front, 322mm rear. 

To confirm, check this post https://www.350z-uk.com/topic/57827-brembo-disc-sizes/

45 minutes ago, veeg33 said:

Yes, they are. The sizes in the description says 324mm front, 322mm rear. 

To confirm, check this post https://www.350z-uk.com/topic/57827-brembo-disc-sizes/

Sorry didn't see the sizes in the description :wacko: :thumbs:

One thing I'm not sure anyone else has noted, if you are abusing your Z and really driving it hard, I'd seriously consider replacing any brake pipes that are properly corroded and not just the garage trying to get some extra work.

The last you you want if you're nailing it down some country lane, is to stand on the brakes and suddenly lose brake fluid and your brakes. :thumbs:

The two things that are most important IMO, are brakes and tyres.

• Like 1

On ‎29‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 13:17, veeg33 said:

I,m in Woodlesford so not far from Wakey (even if I get them off ebay). Where's your local mechanic if they can do it for that price. might get the disks and get them to do it for that price.

3 minutes ago, heyho said:

I,m in Woodlesford so not far from Wakey (even if I get them off ebay). Where's your local mechanic if they can do it for that price. might get the disks and get them to do it for that price.

I pick them up from their shop as I drove pass it when I went down to Derby to get my exhaust from Tarmac. My mechanic is in Huddersfield, it's next door to my work hence very convenient for me to drop off in the morning, and pick up after work. Note that the price might be more if you just wanted disc/pads swap. I went there for MOT, oil change, diff oil change, gear box oil change + disc/pads hence got a good discounted price =)

• Like 1