Tyre Query

SiriusProjects

55 minutes ago, Jetpilot said:

^^^ This

I have to say i have never known a car forum for such a hysteria around tyres and if you choose anything but Michelin you are going to end up in a ditch/field on the roof and on fire :lol: of course they have their merits and advantages i am definitely not saying all are equal before anyone gets excited.

You've obviously never been on pistonheads :lol: (kidding).

56 minutes ago, Jetpilot said:

I would bet my left nut 96.5% of people on here wouldnt know what was underneath them if they got into the car on the road without looking :thumbs:

I would also think those same 96.5% of people would probably be faster in a fwd turbo diesel golf (gtd for example) than in a 350z/370z.

I wasn't even going to reply to this thread until the sob story comment in all honesty.

As long as you go in with your eyes wide open and manage your expectations, you'll be fine. It just doesn't make sense to me personally to get a performance car and then stick Falkens on it. I also wanted to give my personal experience from following forum recommendations of "you won't be able to tell the difference on the road", I could certainly tell the difference (and it was a big difference to me, although on a different car which is arguably very sensitive to tyres).

Plus as others have pointed out, generally michelins tend to last a lot longer than the competition so it's a false economy anyway.

Either way, your car your choice :thumbs:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jetpilot said:

I would bet my left nut 96.5% of people on here wouldnt know what was underneath them if they got into the car on the road without looking :thumbs:

I have an image embedded in my head now of Ekona :yahoo:waving a certificate displaying 90% in one hand........and Jetpilot's left nut in the other

:lol:

Back on topic.

I'm the first to admit I'm no driving god.

In fact I drive so sedately most of the time that in 13 years and 60k I'm still on the original discs and second set of pads.

I've run Falkens for the last 10 years with rears lasting me about 3yrs and fronts 6yrs.

Mine is a lowly 350z de but I have once or twice seen TCS triggered when accelerating uphill in the rain.

Seeing as tyres last me so long I'll be switching to Michelin in about 2 yrs when all 4 tyres will need replacing.

But I do not feel the Falkens are so dire for my needs that I need to change earlier.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rikz2004 said:

I would also think those same 96.5% of people would probably be faster in a fwd turbo diesel golf (gtd for example) than in a 350z/370z.

I think I was faster in my 2.0S Capri than I am in my Zed - but then that probably had Michelin tyres on it : )

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Ponsonby said:

I think I was faster in my 2.0S Capri than I am in my Zed - but then that probably had Michelin tyres on it : )

This really made me laugh/brightened my afternoon :lol:

The fastest car I've ever had was a 1.4 rover 200, mainly because it was my first car and I drove like a complete t**t :lol:

Edited by Rikz2004
Typo

Ultimately the tyres are the only thing keeping the car in contact with the road, which makes them arguably the most important bit of the entire car. Too many people p*ss money up the wall chasing 5bhp or a knowing glance from a complete stranger who acknowledges you spent a fortune on a carbon fibre dust cap, when actually it’s the stuff that makes proper contact with you and the tarmac that really counts. 

I don’t just mean the tyres, I’m talking about the seat and the steering wheel and the gearknob too, the things you interact with hundreds of times on every trip. Get that right and the car will be a proper experience you’ll enjoy, and the rest is just fripperies. 

Whinge over :lol: 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Andy_Muxlow said:

Silly question ekona, what sort of mileage should you get from the Michelin tyres roughly?

I’d got about 15k from the MPSS rears on the Bmw before it went, including a solitary trackday at Snet, and they weren’t close to the 3mm I’d be changing them at. The MPS4 on the MX5 are at 7k miles with no track time and they’re still looking new. 

• Like 1

Well this thread has certainly caused some lively debate. Lol.

I'm sure you will all be pleased to hear that I cancelled my order for the Falkens. Given the passionate arguments for going for a more premium tyre, I am going to go down that route.

Never let it be said that I don't listen when the forum is virtually ramming it down my throat.

So come on, give me some recommendations?

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Ekona said:

Ultimately the tyres are the only thing keeping the car in contact with the road, which makes them arguably the most important bit of the entire car. Too many people p*ss money up the wall chasing 5bhp or a knowing glance from a complete stranger who acknowledges you spent a fortune on a carbon fibre dust cap, when actually it’s the stuff that makes proper contact with you and the tarmac that really counts. 

I don’t just mean the tyres, I’m talking about the seat and the steering wheel and the gearknob too, the things you interact with hundreds of times on every trip. Get that right and the car will be a proper experience you’ll enjoy, and the rest is just fripperies. 

Whinge over :lol: 

Have to agree 

Really want some proper seats next 

• Like 1

I had the 453 and the old mpss on my z and the 453 didn't come close to the mpss 

I have driven an is200 on 510s and it was OK not really the car I could test them out as such. If there was £100 difference in a set of 510 or the mps4s, I would be going mps4s 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, davey_83 said:

Every car I've ever own and modified, I've changed the steering wheel for something more sporty :thumbs:

A bit off topic now...

I'm stuck between getting my wheel re-trimmed by Royal Steering Wheels or getting an NRG Quick Release Hub & Wheel - do you think an aftermarket wheel is a better choice than just re-trimming the original then?

24 minutes ago, Kryptek49 said:

A bit off topic now...

I'm stuck between getting my wheel re-trimmed by Royal Steering Wheels or getting an NRG Quick Release Hub & Wheel - do you think an aftermarket wheel is a better choice than just re-trimming the original then?

Personal neo grinta best wheel I have ever owned 

25 minutes ago, davey_83 said:

I personally do use the steering controls and love the look of the OE wheel, so went with the retrimmed option in alcantra

Yeah I do like having Cruise Control - i was thinking I'd reallocate it to in between the overhead dome lights (remove the buttons and then cut slots for them to fit into the existing blank plastic piece) and move the phone call push buttons to the spare heated seat button (getting rid of volume and seek functions as I've never used these).

Could work pretty well if I can do it - might get a few custom pieces 3D printed so it looks professional.

The re-trimmed wheel does look nice - but the airbag which most people won't re-trim is a bit of an eyesore.

30 minutes ago, StevoD said:

Personal neo grinta best wheel I have ever owned 

That's a nice looking wheel - there's so many choices though it's hard to pick without feeling each one - are there any shop's in the UK that sell various aftermarket wheels?

20 minutes ago, Kryptek49 said:

Yeah I do like having Cruise Control - i was thinking I'd reallocate it to in between the overhead dome lights (remove the buttons and then cut slots for them to fit into the existing blank plastic piece) and move the phone call push buttons to the spare heated seat button (getting rid of volume and seek functions as I've never used these).

Could work pretty well if I can do it - might get a few custom pieces 3D printed so it looks professional.

The re-trimmed wheel does look nice - but the airbag which most people won't re-trim is a bit of an eyesore.

That's a nice looking wheel - there's so many choices though it's hard to pick without feeling each one - are there any shop's in the UK that sell various aftermarket wheels?

I will say like with tyres steering wheels you get what you pay for the construction of something from nardi or personal is miles higher than what I have seen from NRG for example 

• Like 1