Engine warning light - O2 Sensor fault codes

p3nn

Afternoon Chaps,

I've been having an on-going issue for a while now and i'm struggling to get to the bottom of it. It did start after replacing a Y-Pipe but i'm not sure if it's related.

It doesn't seem to affect the cars performance, maybe slightly lower MPG but that could just be the 3.5V6 beast doing it's thing :lol:. Could be running rich???

This could have been the catalyst for it -

As above i had an injector go on me so i had to replace it... since then i've still had the below codes:

Cheap OBD II reader reads:

P0420
P0430
P0420 P
P0430 P
P1147 P

All point to the O2 sensors/Cats...

Cleared the error codes doing the pedal dance and using the ODB Reader..

The error just then came up for P0420.. which was for the driver side post cat O2 Sensor.

I replaced this with my mate in the garage with a genuine one from Horsham Devs.. did the pedal dance ECU reset... few days later and the engine warning light came back on..

After checking with the ODBII reader again it's flagging the below:

P0420
P0430

Any ideas what could be causing this? Don't think it's the cats as no rattles, also they were new three months before i bought the car..

What's my best bet? Engine warning lighter blocker kit????

Any help/suggestions welcomed..

Edited by p3nn

14 minutes ago, Andy_Muxlow said:

We're the new cats standard or aftermarket? Couldn't be something to do with those at a guess?

Aftermarket cats but no warning lights when i purchased the car.

Cats were installed 3 months prior to me buying it to be precise.

Warning lights came on around 8 months of ownership and replacing the Y-Pipe... Don't think it's the cats imho.

Edited by p3nn
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, HEADPHONES said:

I'm sure I've heard about spacers that can be purchased to place near the O2 sensors to prevent this.

(Awaits someone more knowledgeable to chip in :b )

Yeah i've seen the Blox one's - https://www.torqen.uk/nissan/350z/exhausts/gaskets-hangers-tips/1158-350z-blox-racing-cel-fix-check-engine-light-eliminator-adapter-o2-sensor-extender-bxfl-00108.html

Might be a suitable fix/bodge... Just seems bizare that the lights on in the first place though..

I wouldn't have thought swapping the Y-Pipe would have caused this, unless i do have issues with fuelling.

Generally the car does smell quite rich but it did pass it's MOT test for emissions no problem.

Just now, Andy_Muxlow said:

Does seem a little odd then. Sorry I can't help anymore, I am sure someone with more knowledge will be along soon to help and advise more.

No worries, appreciate the input. I guess it's got to be between the cat, Y-Pipe and O2 Sensor or fuelling :shrug:

I had the same on mine randomly, stock exhaust, one day got p0430, cleared came back every few days, switch left and right bank sensors, cleared, still got p0430, got my friendly garage to emission test me and everything was good so I got a o2 sensor spacer and it came back once in about 6months. No performance or mpg was affected before or after so God knows what is was.

• 4 weeks later...
On 20/01/2019 at 21:17, Rob350 said:

I had the same on mine randomly, stock exhaust, one day got p0430, cleared came back every few days, switch left and right bank sensors, cleared, still got p0430, got my friendly garage to emission test me and everything was good so I got a o2 sensor spacer and it came back once in about 6months. No performance or mpg was affected before or after so God knows what is was.

Thanks Rob, i'll order some spacers and see where i get to!

I had the same thing bank 2 down stream of the CAT on a bog standard MY08 350Z around 110000 miles I think.

Left it for around a year then sourced a pre used OEM sensor, this made no difference.

Many months later I had a garage fit a brand new OEM sensor and still had the fault.

The garage suspected a faulty relay but I sold the car through WBAC before I got it fixed so unresolved.

It should be fairly easy to check the power supply to make sure it comes on when cold and goes off after a few minutes I would have thought.

On 14/02/2019 at 21:43, Impressed said:

I had the same thing bank 2 down stream of the CAT on a bog standard MY08 350Z around 110000 miles I think.

Left it for around a year then sourced a pre used OEM sensor, this made no difference.

Many months later I had a garage fit a brand new OEM sensor and still had the fault.

The garage suspected a faulty relay but I sold the car through WBAC before I got it fixed so unresolved.

It should be fairly easy to check the power supply to make sure it comes on when cold and goes off after a few minutes I would have thought.

Thanks for the reply!

So far i've cleaned the O2 Sensor, replaced one that i thought was the cause of the issue and still have the same error.

Can you provide a bit more info into checking the power supply? Do you mean the voltage or checking the relay itself?

I'm going to try and get some spacers fit this weekend but would be better to fix it properly of cause...

Before I fit my o2 spacers I was a bit concerned that the engine wasn't burning right or the cat was dying etc that's why the fault stayed even though I changed sensers and swapped them left to right but I took it to my friendly garage and got an emissions test like on your mot and everything came back fine and as it should so it me feel a bit less concerned about fitting the spacers and kind of hiding the problem I suppose. My guess was it was an electrical fault

I've got Berk HFCs and they constantly throw errors, some people seem to get them some people don't I reset them sometimes, I've had spacers on and off doesn't make a bit of difference it's just life. I've pondered if there's some oil in the mixture, I do burn a fair bit of oil so I was pondering fitting a catch can and seeing if that helped. I've had the cats 6 years now so it's not terminal or anything, never had any other issues.

Can't be bothered to buy new sensors that as far as everyone says are totally redundant. There's apparently a dummy circuit you can fit and then delete the sensors or even have them turned off at remap time

On ‎19‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 11:25, p3nn said:

Thanks for the reply!

So far i've cleaned the O2 Sensor, replaced one that i thought was the cause of the issue and still have the same error.

Can you provide a bit more info into checking the power supply? Do you mean the voltage or checking the relay itself?

I'm going to try and get some spacers fit this weekend but would be better to fix it properly of cause...

I have looked through the workshop manual (available on here I think) but it looks like there is no relay.

I have attached the relative section of the manual but its too complex for me.

A trusted garage is probably your best bet.

EC.pdf

On going problem myself but I've just left the light on.  I get it cleared and nothing comes up on reader with light on but figured out it's when I'm on full load and when exhaust pops and bangs a little.  Hasn't effected anything with my car for past 3 years 

1 hour ago, PPod said:

On going problem myself but I've just left the light on.  I get it cleared and nothing comes up on reader with light on but figured out it's when I'm on full load and when exhaust pops and bangs a little.  Hasn't effected anything with my car for past 3 years 

If I reset mine it's usually triggered by cruising at a certain RPM or load.

• 3 months later...

Still struggling with this one...

Replaced the O2 sensor on the correspoding side and it'll still throw the Engine MGMT light after 30 miles.

What are the options for mappings this out, blanking it etc?

Will it be causing any issues to fueling if it's currently POST Cat?

Cheers,

Matt