Neighbour Stacking Stuff Against My House

Stutopia

With regards to planning, the councils take very little consideration for neighbours opinions. The people who own the building next to my wifes flat built a massive 2nd storey extension on their property, completely destroying the views from her flat and blocking 50% of light coming into her rooms. It also caused manic parking issues with people trying to visit the new building and having nowhere to park. It wasnt just my wife who was affected, about 30 of the local residents complained against the planning application, but it still got approved and built.

Its also worth noting there are 2 parts to getting planning approved. The town council gives its "advice" first. They can advise against an application. However it really means nothing as its ultimately the District Council`s planning committee which decide. When I put an application in for my hefty house extension last year, i spoke to all my neighbours - they were all  fine. Planning officer came out, inspected the site and was more than happy. Notice went in the papers, no complaints. Goes to town council and some 200 year old councillor who had no experience in building/planning complained.  So, it went to the planning committee who laughed in the face of the old councillor, said she was being ridiculous and wasting their time and promptly approved it.

If only I wanted to start fracking, it’d be open and shut :lol:

Should the worst happen, my build budget will pay for many years of renting a lock up. That said there doesn’t seem to be a decent website for finding lockup and garages for rent???

6 hours ago, SuperStu said:

If only I wanted to start fracking, it’d be open and shut :lol:

Should the worst happen, my build budget will pay for many years of renting a lock up. That said there doesn’t seem to be a decent website for finding lockup and garages for rent???

Your council will have lockups and domestic garages for rent Stu, I used to rent a 2500f2 unit from mine for my business for 250 quid a month, steep for domestic purposes but the domestic garages they have for rent are only £50 A month but they are just average sized garages, great for just parking the car in but no good for doing any diy mechanics 

Neighbour issues are always tricky.

When I moved 3 years ago I also had problems with my neighbour.

I find it best to be as diplomatic as possible as if things escalate it really makes life miserable.

To the point where it's more grief than the original problem was.

Not saying let him take the Michael......just saying nothing too rash.

Could any of his stuff be blocking an air brick? It might be a way of opening a dialogue about it, mention the damp issue, and ask if he saw a ventilation brick there before he piled his stuff up. Chances are after so long he won't remember so will have to move it to check. I don't really to my neighbours, I don't like people despite having to deal with them daily :lol:. My neighbour though has a garage with a bit of space between it and the fence, he piles stuff in the gap and it has caused the fence to bow. On the one hand it's the fence he's accountable for, but if the fence falls down, it lands on the zed. It's bad enough I had to replace a tyre because he cut up a load of wood and I picked up a nail because of it. 

2 hours ago, Jay84 said:

Could any of his stuff be blocking an air brick? It might be a way of opening a dialogue about it, mention the damp issue, and ask if he saw a ventilation brick there before he piled his stuff up. Chances are after so long he won't remember so will have to move it to check. I don't really to my neighbours, I don't like people despite having to deal with them daily :lol:. My neighbour though has a garage with a bit of space between it and the fence, he piles stuff in the gap and it has caused the fence to bow. On the one hand it's the fence he's accountable for, but if the fence falls down, it lands on the zed. It's bad enough I had to replace a tyre because he cut up a load of wood and I picked up a nail because of it. 

I’ve lost two tyres in 10 months parked outside my place because he’s always dropping screws, not intentional I’m sure, just couldn’t give a monkey’s when he makes a mess.

• Like 1

I would say just try all your best to avoid dispute with neighbours........they are nasty (very nasty) when thing goes wrong as seen on Nightmare Neighbour Next Door :scare: Unless you can be nasty too, you'll soon give up and move house.

Edited by veeg33

1 hour ago, veeg33 said:

I would say just try all your best to avoid dispute with neighbours........they are nasty (very nasty) when thing goes wrong as soon on Nightmare Neighbour Next Door :scare: Unless you can be nasty too, you'll soon give up and move house.

And if you do move house but have a recorded issue with neighbours, then that has to be declared in the legal docs and of course that can easily put off potential purchasers.

So this:

22 hours ago, HEADPHONES said:

Neighbour issues are always tricky.

When I moved 3 years ago I also had problems with my neighbour.

I find it best to be as diplomatic as possible as if things escalate it really makes life miserable.

To the point where it's more grief than the original problem was.

Not saying let him take the Michael......just saying nothing too rash.

Well now I’m mildly irked. This jerk has gone around to other neighbours with the sole objective of petitioning them to object. 

I no longer feel like this is a simple matter of having a, perfectly reasonable, right to object to something. It’s a personal vendetta against me, my friends and family and my dream to have a garage not made of asbestos.

14 hours ago, SuperStu said:

Well now I’m mildly irked. This jerk has gone around to other neighbours with the sole objective of petitioning them to object. 

I no longer feel like this is a simple matter of having a, perfectly reasonable, right to object to something. It’s a personal vendetta against me, my friends and family and my dream to have a garage not made of asbestos.

Surely the other neighbours wont care less as its nothing to do with them. With regards to the outbuilding using a retaining wall - maybe you can get a builder or someone to confirm its fine then have a chat with the jerk. I objected to one of my neighbours planned extension, simply because currently my whole back garden & rear of my house is not overlooked and very private. With his planned extension it meant he would have a balcony & seating area directly overlooking my garden. In fairness to him, he came around my house & we sat down together with his plans and agreed a compromise. I wasnt still 100% happy but I was pleased he made the effort to speak to me and was prepared to change his plans enough to take into account my views. His plans were approved. I think technically his original plans would have also been approved as overlooking your neighbours garden and ruining their privacy isnt a good enough reason to object.

Alternatively, can you alter the plans so the new garage goes right up to and includes that wall? so you would be replacing the old outbuilding with a new garage?

• Like 1

Is there any way to build dream garage whereby he has no grounds to object? Not sure why neighbours who do not share the wall have any grounds to object given that they do not have any connection to it! 

Just keep being the bigger man Stu, there are so many idiots in the world the place is rife with them, I am sure you will rise above the pettiness this jerk is showing and you can stand there with a big smile once said dream garage gets its final brick put in place.

In actual fact, depending upon what you are building you may not even need planning permission. When I looked into it, you are allowed to build a single story side or rear extension up to a certain size without needing planning permission under permitted development. If you want to build out front of your property then you need planning. Its also best keeping it 1 meter away from any boundary else you may have to get a party wall agreement with your neighbour. 

Id be tempted to pull down the old outhouse anyway - if its your building then he cant do much. Is the wall yours or his?

Maybe try and speak to the people you bought the house from if you can to see if they had issues with him?, then you'll know if he's a career dickhead or he's p****d of at you for some reason. I had the same sort of problem some years ago and found out that the neighbour was p****d of with the previous owners, armed with this info the feud was quickly ended, might be worth a shot.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rabbitstew said:

In actual fact, depending upon what you are building you may not even need planning permission. When I looked into it, you are allowed to build a single story side or rear extension up to a certain size without needing planning permission under permitted development. If you want to build out front of your property then you need planning. Its also best keeping it 1 meter away from any boundary else you may have to get a party wall agreement with your neighbour. 

Id be tempted to pull down the old outhouse anyway - if its your building then he cant do much. Is the wall yours or his?

My first plan conformed to permitted development rules, so no permission was required. I became slightly more ambitious (obviously too ambitious now!) and decided to utilise the flat space on top as a bit of BBQ zone. This meant I moved into requiring planning permission territory and you know the rest.

My plan B is to rollback to the old design, build what I can under PD and still get a new garage but without the additional roof space. 

Oh, and to have a continuously burning tyre mountain in the back yard :dry:

My Plan C is to rent a lockup, but there’s naff all in the vicinity that isn’t attracting commercial rents, which are too high for a project car space. 

Thanks all all for the support by the way and offers of assistance. I’m determined not to let this turn into a thing that causes pain. The only good news might be he feels a pang of guilt when I go around this weekend a politely ask for all the crap leaning on my house to be moved!

I think ditch the BBQ space mate, and it all goes away. And yes show that his crap is causing damp in your walls and get him to shift it. 

As an aside, I can imagine some people objecting to builds simply because they don't want building work going on i.e. the noise, random people, rubbish etc. it generates - maybe thats also said jerks motivation?

29 minutes ago, SuperStu said:

My plan B is to rollback to the old design, build what I can under PD and still get a new garage but without the additional roof space. 

That seems to be the best solution tbh. You can always add the bbq space on it afterwards - thats how my old builder used to work. He loved to push things to the limits. He got permission to build a double garage in his garden. He built the pitched roof nice & steep on it, and made sure the ceiling height of the garage was nice & high inside. Once all finished & signed off, he then did a loft conversion on the garage adding 2 rooms an a shower room in the roof and converted downstairs into a kitchen & living area. He then extended the back of the garage under permitted development adding further rooms, before turning the roof of the permitted development into an outside balcony/bbq area.... So now he has a 4 bedroom detached house instead of double garage... :lol:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NeeZ said:

Maybe try and speak to the people you bought the house from if you can to see if they had issues with him?, then you'll know if he's a career dickhead or he's p****d of at you for some reason. I had the same sort of problem some years ago and found out that the neighbour was p****d of with the previous owners, armed with this info the feud was quickly ended, might be worth a shot.

If nothing was declared when the previous owner was selling to Stu, then it is unlikely they would divulge now - see here as a quick reference example:

http://www.problemneighbours.co.uk/what-you-have-declare-about-neighbours-when-selling.html

Single biggest reason when it comes down to it and having worked in the planning process all my working life as both gamekeeper and poacher involved in thousands of neighbour complaints was:- JEALOUSY, that comes in many forms.  Relatively few were ever found to be otherwise (or admitted by either party) and those resolved amicably were when the parties were sat down together face to face and talking to each other, usually encouraged by others or advisors.  Failing which it would end up in a legal process costing silly amounts of money when stubbornness kicked in.

My advice if a face to face discussion is rejected or gets nowhere, is to talk to a solicitor to find the pros and cons or taking the matter further.     

6 hours ago, Ebized said:

If nothing was declared when the previous owner was selling to Stu, then it is unlikely they would divulge now - see here as a quick reference example:

http://www.problemneighbours.co.uk/what-you-have-declare-about-neighbours-when-selling.html

Single biggest reason when it comes down to it and having worked in the planning process all my working life as both gamekeeper and poacher involved in thousands of neighbour complaints was:- JEALOUSY, that comes in many forms.  Relatively few were ever found to be otherwise (or admitted by either party) and those resolved amicably were when the parties were sat down together face to face and talking to each other, usually encouraged by others or advisors.  Failing which it would end up in a legal process costing silly amounts of money when stubbornness kicked in.

My advice if a face to face discussion is rejected or gets nowhere, is to talk to a solicitor to find the pros and cons or taking the matter further.     

I wasn't meaning with the view to take legal action but purely and simply a informal chat.:boxing:

2 hours ago, Ebized said:

My reference NeeZ to your post was the idea  of info  being provided against by a previous owner being unlikely, hence my link.  The following info in my post  was nothing to do with your suggestion. :)

:thumbs:

• 4 weeks later...

I know you’ve all been desperate for closure on this, so here’s the latest. 

The rubbish up up against my house has been moved, in part, there’s still plenty there but there is at least now an air gap between it and the wall. Naturally I’m using UN Inspectors and Peacekeepers to monitor the situation.

My garage planning permission has been granted, on the condition that I abandon my garage roof terrace dream. This is a victory of sorts and I’ll be pleased to have a larger workspace, albeit without the BBQ area of my dreams. I’ll be erecting the maximum legally permissible height boundaries (2m) in response to the unprovoked attack on my lifestyle by old people with nothing better to do.

In the current climate of all or nothing, black or white, absolutism, it feels like a reasonable compromise and hopeful we can agree a meaningful de-escalation along the borders. A soft Garexit, if you will.

• Like 8
  • Haha 5