Low oil temperature query

osmononame

Hi all,

Quick question about oil temperature. My car does not ever seem to get up to temperature for the oil. On the motorway it sits very low / off the dial or around 70°c mark and on idle it creeps up slightly to 80°c but not much more. It is stock with no oil cooler or anything. I thought it might be the temp sensor for the oil but I've replaced that and it's still reading low. The coolant reads about 88°c so that seems fine. These are from the odb which matches the oil temp gauge so rules it out as being the culprit.

Any suggestions on what it could be? I did try searching but high oil temps seem to be a concern but couldn't find anyone with an issue with a low oil temp. 

I might be talking shite here because I have never had a car with an oil temp gauge.

I would have thought on a NA engine the cooling water has closer more direct contact with the main engine heat source, so would be hotter.

Wait for someone with more knowledge in case your engine blows up.

Edited by Impressed
Spelling.

I see in 2013 you posted queries in the 350 forum, but now it seems you have upgraded to a 370 - which makes sense as the 370 has an oil temp gauge whereas the 350 has an oil pressure gauge.

So, guessing you are new to 370 ownership and in my experience of 370 ownership for near-on 5 years, given the cold snap we are currently having I am inclined to say it is nothing to worry about as the engine is being cooled by the ambient temps.

Hi, Yes - the only car i ever truly regretted selling was my 350z. The 370z is good, a bit fresher but still no 350z IMO. Probably sentimental more than anything else as 350z was my first 'proper' car. 

Thanks for the reply but I don't think that's it - the same issue was happening when ambient temps were around 10-15 degrees C. After some armchair diagnosing I think it might be thermostat stuck open - its going to the garage tomorrow for a look so I will report back on their findings.

• 3 weeks later...

Thought I would update this. Got a new thermostat fitted and still on a long run the temp needle will read 72 degrees or so max. I will put it down to the cold weather and hopefully it warms better in the summer. For those running a 370z over the winter and have the oil reading 90 on the motorway let me know as I can have the care looked at again. Just worried that the low oil temp will cause long term damage. 

Give it some proper abuse (i mean red line shifting) for 10 mins and see if the oil temp goes up. If it doesnt you may well have an issue as the zeds usually get very hot, more so with no oil cooler. like you say, it cant be good long term for the oil or engine if it never gets upto specified operating temp. I dont know if 70deg is ok someone should be able to confirm.