Z & the Ring

ILikeDolphins

Youve got the first bit down, dont go too hard :lol:

Its quite intimidating to start with as there are a lot of blind corners etc. but as long as you dont try and drive it like you do on Forza you should be OK, I was told to treat it like a fast A road first time I went which isnt bad advice. 

Dont let yourself get the red mist, keep an eye on your RVM and get out of the way of anything catching you and go to Cockpit in Adenau for Currywurst mit Pommes at lunch and the Pistenklaus for steak on a stone at dinner :thumbs:

Same as docwra said really just go and enjoy your first lap before caneing it, a bit of "Driving Miss Daisy" is good. Move to the right to let cars past, and just smile when the GT3's come past like you were stood still. 

If you fancy a nice meal sat in the sun in Adenau try sitting outside the Hotel Blaue Ecke, burgers and beer is good.

How much track experience do you have already?

If you can hold a good yet safe pace, familiar and comfortable with track driving then just treat it like every other new track and as others have said be sensible, give yourself a bit of time and most of all enjoy it and get the most of your time on track as it is such an amazing track and place to visit. Totally unique and a must box to tick if you're into cars and driving them!

My opinion is that the biggest difference with the 'Ring vs almost every other track is that driving overly slow and cautious is as dangerous as trying to push on and set your own lap record as a lot of the people who drive it do know it very well with cars built to do it and are on a very quick pace, meaning closing speeds can be huge and people aren't thinking about taking it easy over that flat out blind crest in case there's someone learning the track over it! With no briefing before tourist sessions and no rules to speak of with regards to overtaking etc it can be a bit over whelming.

Also, bit obvious but make sure you're on good tyres and you've got plenty of meat left on your brake pads

Not trying to scare just giving an honest account............enjoy it because it IS epic!

• Thanks 1

Echoing others above, definitely don't get cocky or try and be a hero.. there's not much room for error if you get it wrong!

Also watch for dropped oil after it's been raining, usually followed by people on bikes sliding around on their backsides with their bikes going off in a different direction!

9 hours ago, skate2create said:

Echoing others above, definitely don't get cocky or try and be a hero.. there's not much room for error if you get it wrong!

Also watch for dropped oil after it's been raining, usually followed by people on bikes sliding around on their backsides with their bikes going off in a different direction!

First time I went some guy tried to get on the ring with a tractor :lol:

As the rest say the first lap is an experience, take it steady keep right, after you have done a couple of laps you get into the swing of it and relax then it gets fun :thumbs:

Also Docwra is spot on Pistenklaus do a cracking steak :thumbs:

Here he is

• Haha 2

Depends on what days your going but Sunday is crazy busy after 10 am it's good to ecperiance and soak up the ambiance and atmosphere but its definatly the most dangerous day to go out on, don't get me wrong I'm sure youl be fine but it really is a constant flow of cars.

Its good to watch from all the viewing points. I like to park up at brunchen (YouTube corner) and walk round the track for an hour or two, there's a footpath that follows the track all the way around about 10feet from the barrier.

The evening sessions are a lot quieter Monday to thursday but only open 5 30 till 7 but thats best time to get a few laps under your belt.

Also maybe time it right for a VLN race weekend the pit lane and garages are free to the public to walk round during practice and qually on the Friday you can litterally walk around right up to the cars being set up and worked on and have a chat with them when there not wrenching on the crazy race cars, then again you can have a wander around the track on Saturday race day.

I'm going for the 4th time in July, Friday till friday, so VLN Fri, sat, mad busy Sunday, then quiet tracktime Mon, wed, Thurs, friday because Tuesday spa have a open driving day on so it's €100 for 30min session. They have an open driving day once a month so maybe time it right for that also.

Your also better off staying a bit out of town as staying 2mins away from entrance is over 100euros a night, places like adenau or kelburg are only about 7mins drive away and are alot cheaper. I'm staying in an apartment for 1st time this year, it's in kelburg and it's only 350 euros for 8 nights with a lidl 2mins down the road.

4 hours ago, Rob350 said:

Depends on what days your going but Sunday is crazy busy after 10 am it's good to ecperiance and soak up the ambiance and atmosphere but its definatly the most dangerous day to go out on, don't get me wrong I'm sure youl be fine but it really is a constant flow of cars.

Our current plan is for late May bank hols, so Sat laps with some Sunday viewing time. Is Sat much clearer than Sun?

Edited by ILikeDolphins
  • Like 1

Not so much really, you've got to think most people that go to ring to visit generally go for the weekend or a long weekend, especially bank holidays. Saturday will only be open 5 till 7 30  Sunday will be 8am till 7 30. Check on the nurburgring website because times are sometimes different

If it was me, go on Saturday evening be there before it opens get your tickets etc, when it opens youl hear a little alarm and German announcer then see everyone scatter for their cars and itl be madness usually for about 15mins because everyone wants to get out straight away, so just wait maybe 15 to 30 mins till you see the que nearly empty so itl just be a steady flow of cars.

Then maybe do a lap come in chill for 10mins then do another. Once you've done 1 or 2 laps and you realise how it flows it's not so scary, Just keep checking mirrors and move to right when someone's gaining on you and indicate, always indicate, just keep it on to right so the person behind clearly knows you've seen he's coming and your staying out of his way. It maybe sometimes you might want to slow down a touch more than you would normally do to them past before the corner etc because people will overtake mid chicane and things.

Then you could get there early Sunday morning maybe 8 30/9 and get another couple of laps in whilst it's quiet, then enjoy the the mayhem and cars galore but Definatly go to pistenclause it's jammed full of memorabilia but on Sunday when the track closes it soon gets full so maybe go and hour before the track closes.

• Like 1

The pistenclause is owned by sabine schmitts parents and her her sister works there who looks just like here lol a couple of teaser pics, last one is my times, I need to update it when I go back in July and put "june 18 e46 m3" then "july 19" lol it's not just me grafitiying though youl see everyone done it, so maybe take a marker to add to the collection of your 1st time

20170801_214705.jpg

20170801_214948.jpg

20170801_215007.jpg

Edited by Rob350

Off to ‘The Green Hell’ either before the 6hrs of Spa or after, they haven’t published their ‘open’ days just yet, should be in a week or so (according to an email reply).  The fast A road advice is spot on, there will be faster cars, there will be faster ‘slower’ cars, the locals have a definate advantage over the ‘occasional’ user, of which, I’m definitely in that camp.

just drink up the experience and go for an early, midweek option for an emptier track.

16 hours ago, The G Man said:

Off to ‘The Green Hell’ either before the 6hrs of Spa or after, they haven’t published their ‘open’ days just yet, should be in a week or two

I did mine through RSR it's called public driving experience. I think it's 5 or 6 30min sessions for €400 or 1 session for €100

https://www.rsrnurburg.com/calendar/spa-trackdays

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

We’ve booked a little trip 12th September for 2/3 days it’s my 2nd trip but my first planned in the 350.

i @*!# my pants my first trip out, I watched far to many crash compilations on YouTube. So stay away from them lol

a little intimidating and overwhelming I only managed 3 laps due to stoppages and closures, I enjoyed the GP circuit more 

I’m a little more versed in the nords now thanks to Assetto Corsa ,so I should definetly be able to carry a lot more speed knowing my way round a bit more 

On ‎18‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 05:16, Ekona said:

And remember you’re not insured, so an accident could possibly bankrupt you. That’s tends to focus the mind quite well! :lol:

And read the t&cs about crashing on the track, it can be very expensive.

BASE FEE FOR ATTENDANCE OF ARMCO TRUCK – €150

REMOVING DAMAGED ARMCO – €10/METRE (X2 OR X3 OR X4 FOR MULTIPLE-HEIGHT SECTIONS)

REPLACEMENT ARMCO – €31/METRE (X2 OR X3 FOR DOUBLE/TRIPLE HEIGHT)

REMOVING DAMAGED ARMCO POSTS – €5.10 EACH

REPLACING ARMCO POST – €39 EACH

SAFETY CAR ATTENDANCE – €82 PER 30 MINS (CAR AND TWO PEOPLE)

CIRCUIT CLOSURE FROM – €1,350 PER HOUR

RECOVERY TRUCK FROM – €600 (INC VAT)

Edited by Payco

14 hours ago, Payco said:

And read the t&cs about crashing on the track, it can be very expensive.

BASE FEE FOR ATTENDANCE OF ARMCO TRUCK – €150

REMOVING DAMAGED ARMCO – €10/METRE (X2 OR X3 OR X4 FOR MULTIPLE-HEIGHT SECTIONS)

REPLACEMENT ARMCO – €31/METRE (X2 OR X3 FOR DOUBLE/TRIPLE HEIGHT)

REMOVING DAMAGED ARMCO POSTS – €5.10 EACH

REPLACING ARMCO POST – €39 EACH

SAFETY CAR ATTENDANCE – €82 PER 30 MINS (CAR AND TWO PEOPLE)

CIRCUIT CLOSURE FROM – €1,350 PER HOUR

RECOVERY TRUCK FROM – €600 (INC VAT)

And those are some of the reasons why I only go to the ring on track days.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, blobbish said:

And those are some of the reasons why I only go to the ring on track days.

Ditto! Going in May for #DN21

You still pay for barrier damage mind, just none of the other costs there. Seen a few truck out, circuit closed for hours while barrier is repaired crashes during tourist days (some within minutes of it being opened as a tourist session following all day track day)..........hard to not see the value of a properly organised track day using the full Nordschleife on open pit lane format from 8-16:30 with no stopping for lunch.