solid Yellow Key warning light on dash - **FIXED**

neo

Hi Guys,

Since Saturday there's been a SOLID yellow key warning light on my dashboard, everything works as it should, opening doors, starting car etc, tried the spare fob still the same, left keys in the cup holder instead of pocket, even tried the fobgina slot and still the light is there, a google search says it could be steering lock fault but thought they were all sorted back in 2009-10, mine is now out of warranty and i don't fancy being stuck in the middle of no where if it fails to start :scare:

the keyfob battery was changed last year, surely it cant be that as there's been no other warning messages, other than trying a new battery is there anything else i can try or is it a Nissan job :blush:

Edited by neo

It won't be the steering lock as they have not been fitted on 370's from the 2011 model year.

You can verify this as the steering wheel can be turned with the ignition off. 

If you local garage is stuck then this is your answer:

On 16/01/2019 at 16:41, ZMANALEX said:

I would only be guessing mate, best to nip into Nissan and get your car hooked up to Consult .

Bugger - should have listened to Alex and took it to Nissan, they couldn't find anything wrong apart from some low voltage faults that they cleared, light still on, they seem to think its the steering solenoid, yes they googled the problem lol, now booked in for 1st Feb at Nissan where i purchased it from and see what they say.

Hopefully its not a £1300 fix thats been suggested else where on the net, my local garage did say to inform nissan uk about the problem if the dealership can't find the problem and they may be able to help further.

Edited by neo

• 2 weeks later...

:scare::angry: dropped car off this morning to nissan, they just phoned back, it is the steering lock that as caused the fault, they can clear it but comes straight back on, for the diag and a new part its around £730 :scare::angry:

any ideas how to fix it cheaper or have i gotta bite the bullet ??

Edited by neo

Hang on......

You drove the car to the garage?

If so the steering lock IF IT HAS ONE has not failed then?

From all the info we have seen, and I have just trawled through umpteen posts on other 370 forums as well as all the tech stuff issued in current Nissan blurb, and I can find no reference to 2012 and onwards 370s having steering locks, so if it were me I would be seriously questioning the dealer's findings. 

First and foremost, clarify if your car has a steering look - get the question raised at Nissan customer services using the fault code(s) the dealer has found. 

Thx colin, Anton the master technician, swears that all 370z have a steering lock, he said it could be sticking on 1 of the 2 pins that lock it, hence the fault, i did mention why there are no lights on the fobgina, said it could be part of the same fault :wacko:

yeah car drives perfectly every  time since the light came on, not paying £679.20 to just have the light turned off, the steering lock fuse as been back in just over a week as well and still it works apart from the damn yellow light on the dash.

Edited by neo

just been out to the car, seems like it does have the housing  for the steering lock, there are no sounds when pushing the start/stop button, there is lock illuminated, then acc then on, just tried the car 4 times and every time it started :shrug:

370z steering lock.jpg

Edited by neo