Gym owner threatening me

TT350

Hi guys.

Got a bit of a problem. 

Last year, I joined a gym, but then cancelled the day after, which i thought would be simple. But, as it happens, the finance company hadn't included the option of a cooling off period. Which was annoying but, legally binding.

I just carried on and the owner asked me to pay it directly into an account that he named, which I did, but he didn't notify the finance company, who then send me a demand for the whole of the membership plus admin fees because they'd received no payments from me for 3 months. 

They could then only resolve it by cancelling the original contract and setting a new one up. So, the gym owner sets up another contract, the terms of which i never saw or signed, on my behalf. Which I let slide because I thought it was fair to pay the remaining 8 months.

But, the gym owner signed the document on my behalf for another 12 months without consulting me. The dummy even gave his own email address. 

I'm dealing with that through trading standards because it's not legally binding as it was signed and processed by him, without my agreement and while I wasn't on the premises. 

As it happens, I'm a fair person. And I thought that, if he was out of pocket to the tube of any arrears then it'd be fair for me to reimburse him. Even though he messed it up for himself by not telling the finance company I'd paid him.

But, tonight he resumed texting me for payments due on the current contract (which I've referred to trading standards) and got aggressive. Basically, he wants the money he was expecting to be recieving for another 12 months, even though I'm not using nor ever have used his gym, and even though he's not out of pocket and he told me he'll cancel the current contract and wipe my debt with the finance company, but I'll still personally owe him 12 months gym membership money. He wants the money off me regardless for absolutely no reason despite me never using the gym and despite the fact he owes the finance company zero money. Still wants that money off me!

He's been threatening me with CCJ's and financial ruin and telling me he's doing me a big favour by letting me deal directly with him. 

He's caused this whole thing by A: not telling the finance company I'd made payments direct to him and now B: signing me up for another 12 months without my agreement or consulting me, plus signing the document in my name (not to be confused with an automatic roll over membership) 

I'm pretty sure that he's a total thicko, but more importantly, doesn't have a leg to stand on, legally.  C.A.B and trading standards assure me he doesn't.  

I've told the Police about his txts, and got all the previous ones he's sent me, too, plus bank statements. I have a reference number off the Police, too, after phoning them about it on the non emergency number tonight.

Does anyone have any thoughts or advice, please?

Remember that, I haven't once refused to pay any money. We're in this situation because of him and his stupidity/laziness in contacting his finance company, yet he's threatening me with financial ruin if I don't accept his gracious offer of allowing me to pay him £300 directly.

So, any thoughts would be appreciated. 

Physique gym, Walsden, Todmorden.

As Dan says just ignore him really. If he keeps threatening you with legal proceedings and stuff just keep the police informed. As you have said he has no legal grounds for this action. whats can he do? if anything comes of it you can always counter sue him for fraud? maybe...

• Like 1

Yes, it's definitely him. Cross reference that article which says he was 27 at the time, and this company information; 

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/10952696/officers

has his year of birth as 1988 which would indeed have made him 27 in 2015 at the time of his conviction, plus the fact his crime was all in this area, same name, same residence etc, leaves me with no doubt.

You'd think he'd have learned his lesson with fraud. Certainly not tried to defraud me then threaten me over it!

As I said, definitely a thicko.

Must have gotten into lifting weights in the big house and decided to open a gym upon release.

Edited by TT350
  • Like 1