Exploding Windows

coldel

Just a random one, not after a solution or the like as I am sure the missus will be ringing the insurance in the morning, but anyone had their rear window explode before?

I just jumped into the missus Megane (55 plate so an old one) I pulled the door shut relatively firmly but not excessive, enough to close the door and the rear window just shattered. Scared the living daylights out of me but got out and took a look, the middle of the window has shattered with glass inside and out, the edges are still in place around the window frame but all cracked in tiny pieces. 

Anyone had something like this happen to them? Its cold out, but not excessively about 5-6 degrees. Just bizarre its just exploded because I closed the door!

...actually a quick google took me to the mk2 renaultsport page, seems like all mk2 meganes were subject to a recall and having rear windows replaced under warranty due to many doing exactly this. I guess ours wasnt done and not sure Renault will cover our 14 year old shed me thinks...

Edited by coldel

I’m nowhere near an expert on these matters but I’m pretty sure there’s no statute of limitations on recalls - I.e. if a manufacturer acknowledges a manufacturing fault it doesn’t matter how long you leave it they are obligated to remedy that fault.

Pretty sure this won’t help you in any way, shape or form as i can’t back it up with actual facts or anything, but I’d suggest not giving up on it yet.

Edited by ilogikal1

Mental note - Don't shake hands with  coldel he dosn't know his own strength :scare: 

Not had it happen in a car but it did happen to the back door of our old house, walked in the front door, closed it and the back door glass shattered :doh:

Apparently the glass was under stress for whatever reason (moved or badly fitted) then the air pressure change was just enough to take it over the edge :shrug:

• Haha 1

I have just joined a gym and got a personal trainer, didnt realise how effective getting one could be!

I checked online (there is a Gov.uk page on checking official recalls) and nothing on there about rear windows, suspect the forums guys on the renualt pages probably called it a recall but in reality it was just renault replacing them in warranty at the time IF they did go pop.