Nismo Racing Harness

s1xtyn1n3

Can the bar behind the seats in my MK2 Nismo be used to attach a racing harness? The Recaro seats certainly have the cutouts for a harness so was wondering how much work would be involved putting on in? Have a possible track day coming up at the end of Feb.

Also any recommendations on harnesses?

Definitely go 3” straps, and preferably 6pt so you don’t run the risk of submarining in an accident. 

I’m not familiar with the bar you mention, but assuming it’s a brace between the two sides of the car and is of a reasonable thickness, then I’d be comfortable using it as a harness bar. Should be okay if you use wrap around harnesses too. 

23 minutes ago, Jetpilot said:

I think there have been a couple of 350z owners who used their strut brace, presumably we are talking the same on the 370z. Personally I would want something designed for the job and get a proper harness bar.

It's slightly off centre as well by a little even if it was strong enough that said I don't know if that matters 

It was discussed here as well

Edited by nissanman312

I changed my brace to a Zele brace with the holes predrilled. However, I can say that if you were to use the brace and have a front impact you would not be protected as it has no strength. I also dont think that the bar is far enough back to give the 30 degree needed to project your spine.

The bar itself doesn't go all the way across the width of the car. Instead it is sandwiched between 2x 2mm plates ( fitted a long time ago so recollection may be approximated) that attach on the top and bottom leaving a gap at the front and rear.

I fear the bar would just rip out very easy. 

That said. I would potentially use with a harness to hold me in the seat but also use the seat belt.

1 hour ago, dave_7 said:

no you will need a buy a proper harness bar but they aren't cheap.

A CG lock isn't as good a full harnesses but its the next best thing for keeping you pinned in your seat on track

This is what I decided to do. Great little device