Preparing my Z for first track day?

Noble Bernard

Got my first track day at Donnington coming up. Was just wondering if there was anything special I had to do to 'prepare' my 370z for track use?

Apologies if there are similar posts or a guide somewhere, I did have a search but couldn't find anything comprehensive.

Thanks.

If you have a standard car its just a case of making sure all your fluid/oil levels are topped up and take a litre of oil/coolant/brake fluid if you have them. Check your pads have plenty of meat on them and check your tyres for any damage before you set off, also check your treads and make sure pressures are all the same. If you havnt checked for ages you may have 1 wheel at 27psi and the opposite at 37psi which will catch you out on track. Its 35psi on standard wheels/tyres nissan spec so i would start out at 33 all around then come in after a few laps when warmed up and adjust accordingly if needed. Different size wheels and tyres may need other pressures, check if needed. Again take a tyre inflator and pressure gauge with you. Always best to take a proper jack and wheel/torque wrench with you in case you come off or need to inspect underneath etc but there will be plenty of others that will help with assistance or tools if required. Finally, its best to have a warm up lap and cool down lap at around 50-70% to A- get engine, brakes and tyres upto temp and B- help everything cool down before coming off track. 

And enjoy yourself. 

Keep an eye on you oil temp if you haven't got an oil cooler, if you're going to do a few track days i'd definitely recommend getting one.

I'd make sure you brake fluid is up-to the task as well, something like RBF600 is fine.

Apart from that just the usual tyres brake pads and fluid checks and possibly get you geometry check somewhere if its not been checked in a while.

If you're into you detailing its worth sealing up your wheels and paint as molten brake dust can be a pain to shift sometimes.

I'm at Donnington in March with Opentrack... can't wait!

Hi, I just returned from Donington MSVT track day yesterday 14th Jan in my 370Z! First time its been out since August and on lap 2 my clutch pedal stuck down half way and would not return to the top! Car couldn't be pushed at all even though i did some afternoon laps the issue just got worse until i called it a day at 2pm.... checked my clutch fluid before I left and the stuff was black :'(

Enjoyed the drive around but feels a bit of a waste.... will have to go back again when its sorted. I'm assuming its the CSC, maybe just fluid, but with 57K on stock clutch it looks like its all going to get upgraded...... 

If you have not been yet hope it goes well!!

11 minutes ago, sgtarg said:

Hi, I just returned from Donington MSVT track day yesterday 14th Jan in my 370Z! First time its been out since August and on lap 2 my clutch pedal stuck down half way and would not return to the top! Car couldn't be pushed at all even though i did some afternoon laps the issue just got worse until i called it a day at 2pm.... checked my clutch fluid before I left and the stuff was black :'(

Enjoyed the drive around but feels a bit of a waste.... will have to go back again when its sorted. I'm assuming its the CSC, maybe just fluid, but with 57K on stock clutch it looks like its all going to get upgraded...... 

If you have not been yet hope it goes well!!

Mine did that half way up a mountain in Italy 

Fluid change sorted it

Perhaps I was lucky! csc seems to be more common in US 

Edited by nissanman312