JWT pop charger

Rikz2004

Hi all,

So I bought my 350z a few months ago, it's my first Zed and I love it! It's a 2006 revup roadster in grey. 

It came with a JWT pop charger installed, which I gathered is mostly for sound. The engine felt slightly restricted so I cleaned and reoiled the pop charger filter, as well as cleaning the maf and throttle body. Prior to doing both of these I changed the spark plugs also, and I gather that's the first time the spark plugs had been changed from speaking to the previous owner!

So this helped somewhat with the restriction, but the car still felt somewhat hesitant, and didn't feel like it had the torque it should, and also was a bit jerky on the throttle.

So I bought a used revup air intake box from ebay (the correct one for my car, as mines is a revup) and this has made a massive difference! It now feels how i would expect and revs a lot more freely, pulling strong all the way to the redline. There is no more jerkiness, and also no hesitation when pulling away from stationary (which was one of the main issues). Also there was a bit of a drone on the motorway at certain speeds which is now gone.

From my personal experience I would definitely recommend sticking with the OEM intake (especially if you have a revup!).

What are other people's experiences? The only other thing is there could be some issue with the popcharger I have (maybe it's too dirty and can no longer be cleaned so is clogged and restrictive?!). 

I am not surprised in the slightest that reverting to an OEM air box has solved your issue.

Always best to stick with the OEM air intake boxes for DE and HR models.

By all means, swop out the filters for Cosworth, HKS, K&N or similar, but always retain the OEM filter box.

Nissan did not spend many hours and mega money on developing their OEM air intake boxes for nothing.

• Like 1

I lost a bit of performance with my Popcharger on a Revup, but it was worth the trade off for me to free up some more noise. Losing 5 bhp is neither here nor there, but extra tingly aural fun is always appreciated :) 

But yeah, Alex is right of course. As with anything, you always stick with closed airboxes for performance.

• Like 1