350z scorpion exhaust to loud for track Help

Retro LLama

Hi i brought my 350z with a scorpion 350z stainless steel exhaust system. sounds great but when i took it on a track day it exceeds to noise limits of 105 DB at 3 quarters throttle! any one have any advise? think i will need to get a complete new exhaust system or can i potentially buy a silencer or frankenstein original and Scorpion parts together :wacko:? or should i take it to a exhaust shop and get one added to to current system 

any advise will be helpful as i want to get back on track ASAP! 

cheers 

hmm would a factory back box fit the same as the scorpion one you think. as for decats I'm not sure i had it checked out at the garage today but they just said everything looks fine for a full stainless system :shrug:.

might jack the car up to see what i find tomorrow but not 100% sure what to look out for on a scorpion system apposed to a normal one would a scorpion decat be different to a standard?  

thanks for your comment

You might have sports cats or silenced decats, which will be difficult to determine from just a pic, try to see if there are any brands marked on them.

If you want the simplest solution just follow Ekonas advise and buy a std cat back exhaust and swap for trackdays. A lot depends on your current cat set up before more sound advise can be offered.

i have sports cats and the y pipe has a resonator/silencer  then to a scorpion and its not loud at all, although its quite new so maybe it needs to bed in, but i feel pretty confident it would be ok on track. maybe just change the y pipe to a reso one?

It’s odd that your scorpion exhaust is too loud as it’s one of the quietest  exhaust available for the zed. Like others have said it’s more likely that you have some sort of decats or maybe the baffles in the back box have gone. 

As for the exhaust itself the scorpion has no resonator in the mid section,(which has a sleeved joint to the back box) nor will an OEM back box fit to it. 

Edited by SHEZZA

Thanks for the suggestions! took some photos the cats look fine and standard? 

but the centre section has no resonator. but i don't think the standard 350z centre resonator would fit as it has a flang on the end and the scorpion back box doesn't.

May  take it to an exhaust shop to see if the baffles have gone.  much appreciated!

thumbnail_IMG_1325.jpg.9e036c5a9b805dca8b9aceb31575016f.jpgthumbnail_IMG_1322.jpg.448d5a9771d5491efb8e14c702095cab.jpgthumbnail_IMG_1323.jpg.fe8e7b85ad97a91fa3d3376e41941768.jpg

Edited by Retro LLama

Great that's narrowed down most of the potential issues! its weird it idles quite quietliy but anything over 3000 rpm is mega loud. will see what the exhaust guy says will prob go for a new standard back box or a silencer if its not to broken. 

thanks again guys 

Updated Baffles have gone in the exhaust so need to get a new back box and centre resonator. do any off you think i will need a new Y pipe to make an original exhaust and centre resonator fit?   as the current y pip shown above has a resonator or silencer in it already:wacko: 

thanks again 

Edited by Retro LLama

Y pipe should be fine as an after market y pipe back system fits to the OEM y pipe, so in theory a OEM y pipe back system should fit to an after market y pipe. Also what you can see in the y pipe are flexi joints and not silencers/resonators.  :thumbs:

Are you thinking of getting a second hand OEM system ? As new will cost a fortune !  Why not get a new stainless system ?

1 hour ago, SHEZZA said:

Y pipe should be fine as an after market y pipe back system fits to the OEM y pipe, so in theory a OEM y pipe back system should fit to an after market y pipe. Also what you can see in the y pipe are flexi joints and not silencers/resonators.  :thumbs:

Are you thinking of getting a second hand OEM system ? As new will cost a fortune !  Why not get a new stainless system ?

Ace! yeah think i will go OEM for a bit if it gets dull i will save the Scorpion bits and look at getting a stainless back box down the road. i will get on eBay and see what i can find

Much appreciate your help!