Torqen HFC with Y-Pipe?

skyrapier

Hi All,

New to the Z scene here :) I recently fitted a Torqen HFC to a stock 370z. I did this purely to bring out the true sound of the engine as it was too quiet, I'm not sure I did the right thing to achieve this?

However, I found that the sound increased around 10% with a bit of rasp and feel that I will need to change another part of the exhaust system to achieve the right sound.

I also want to keep most of it stock as possible without having to change the whole system. What would you guys recommend? 

Would changing the Y-pipe help bring a deeper, throatier sound?

Thanks in advance guys.

:welcome: to the forum.

HFCs are definitely louder than oem cats, also they're way less restrictive so you've done the right thing there. 

Changing the Y pipe will probably help the exhaust flow a bit better but I don't think it'll make much difference to the noise or volume. 

If you don't want to go for a whole system I know a lot of people replace the oem backbox with a pair of short tails and seem to be pretty happy. 

I think you can get them either resonated or non-resonated too depending how loud you want it :teeth:

Without going for a full exhaust system, the only way to increase the sound a go a bit throatier is to go for the short tails.

See here:

https://www.torqen.uk/nissan/370z/exhausts/exhaust-systems/18248-370z-torqen-short-tails-resonated-trq-z34-st-r.html

These replace the back box, 4 bolts, 4 nuts and 2 gaskets, very easy to do :) 

Ah brilliant :) Thank you for the info guys! 

I had no idea about short tails. Will it be tolerable with the HFC already in? if I go with the resonated short tails? 

Will this sound absurd/ricey? I want it to sound natural as well and not too loud :lol:

If anyone has sound or video clips with this setup - would be much appreciated! Thanks :D 

Youtube is your friend at times like this i think. Plenty of sound clips on there of 370's with short tails. You can gauge on there how loud they are and whether or not you think it is tolerable. :thumbs:

I've recently had a set of short tails made and mated up to my HKS SSM exhaust (the SSM is roughly the same volume as stock). The car is definitely alot louder but it's still perfectly quiet when driving civilly and absolutely no drone at all on the motorway!

It's all down to personal preference really.

At only £300 ish for a set of short tails and an hour to swap them over I'd personally say go for it. Worst comes to worst you can always sell them and get a good chunk of your cash back afterwards 

9 hours ago, skyrapier said:

Just concerned as I have the HFC fitted that it might be obnoxiously loud? if it's a little louder then I will consider it B) 

Now I'm thinking I should've got short tails instead of the HFC :lol: 

Let me know your thoughts guys :) 

Never had resonated short tails, but my first exhaust mod was cybox short tails and them alone. Just doing this the sound was far too loud and it was horrible.

since then I have replaced the cybox with some custom small backboxes made by a company called Topgear in Bridport who use Longlife exhaust parts, similar to Powerflow. The exhaust sounded better, but I wanted louder so got the mid box resonators removed. Again it made it a bit better. Most recently I had the torqen HFC’s fitted and yes its raspier, but the sound is much closer to what I wanted, the car was a daily, so had to be civil, but sound like a 3.7 V6! 

I did post a video on a thread on here a while back, of you search for my posts you should be able to find it easily.

I am tempted to do the final bit (Y-pipe) when I can get a good deal on one!