Leaked photo of the Supra without camo

coldel

Looks pretty good, doesnt pull it off as well as the FT1 though, headlights look big and bulky in comparison and i prefer the curvier accents on the FT1 front rather than the aggressive cut outs but i suppose that is the modern trend. I think though in the right colour and in the flesh it will be pretty nice though!

3 hours ago, Jetpilot said:

Looks pretty good, doesnt pull it off as well as the FT1 though, headlights look big and bulky in comparison and i prefer the curvier accents on the FT1 front rather than the aggressive cut outs but i suppose that is the modern trend. I think though in the right colour and in the flesh it will be pretty nice though!

This is what I thought initially from the images but the idea behind the shape is that the daytime running lights are more pronounced with this shape that appears to "cut into" the metal work. Its hard to describe but certainly looks better with the engine running and daytime running lights on  ; in the photos with the car turned off it does look a bit peculiar i agree

Also Im q surprised that the majority of front splitter area has been painted the same as the main body colour. Plus where would you put the registration plate? any idea

I also think that they need a special colour to set this car off orange or even the blue they have for the new corolla 

Untitled.jpg

886f3dc2a75933eada25242ffa9a0045.jpg

Edited by hmale4yu

Looks good so far, the lights are a bit thick compared to the concept - I'm sure thats down to some regulation - and the front grils, air intake areas could have been a bit less ...'high?' to make the nose a bit sleaker.  Looks good in silver though, Jan its getting unveiled? (unless they brick it due to the photo and start firing out some press shots lol)

i think the right colour will set it off ; probably one of those that you have to see in the flesh like the GTR to appreciate

Not convinced re number plate placement btw 

Also notice the positioning of what I assume are front sensors? Is it me or is a bit of an odd location?

Untitled.jpg

One thing that has just struck me is, how wide is that bonnet, looks like its opens from the 2/3rds of the way up the wings, the opening straight line at the front breaks the flow, definitely will look better darker to take the eye away from those bits imho Very much like the double bubble roof as per the FT1, reminds me of the RX7.

22 hours ago, Sim said:

I'm still not convinced the proportions are right, I'll wait until I see one in the metal but for now, I say it looks no where near as nice at the FT1.

I agree with that, I like to base a sports car on its side profile (me being the judgmental type :lol: ), be good to see the official pics or real mag shots. It's shorter than the concept and that may be a bad thing, stubbyness is not what your after... IMO (stubbyness leads to higher arches and the like, but packaging of the engine etc can do this too).  Shouldn't be long before we get more... 

• Like 1

This aint it chief.....

They went away from the concept and went for curvier shape. It looks like an alien vehicle. We,ll see at the full reveal. 

Seems like they wanted it to similar to the Z4 not sure why theyve shrunk the car from the FT-1 concept. 

Road presence, width, like the old supra etc definitely not there. Thats the German way. Safe lines, subtle styling. Nothing to get pulses racing. I can see Toyota tried to move away from the safe design. But still falling short. I can only see BMW when I look at this.

The weight us probably still 1450-1550 kg as per most small BMW. With most powerful spec being 380 bhp

If i saw this behind me I wouldn't be in a rush to move over. 

Im not sure who it was that wanted to get this car. Save your money.

Edited by GranTurismoEra

10 hours ago, GranTurismoEra said:

This aint it chief.....

They went away from the concept and went for curvier shape. It looks like an alien vehicle. We,ll see at the full reveal. 

Seems like they wanted it to similar to the Z4 not sure why theyve shrunk the car from the FT-1 concept. 

Road presence, width, like the old supra etc definitely not there. Thats the German way. Safe lines, subtle styling. Nothing to get pulses racing. I can see Toyota tried to move away from the safe design. But still falling short. I can only see BMW when I look at this.

The weight us probably still 1450-1550 kg as per most small BMW. With most powerful spec being 380 bhp

If i saw this behind me I wouldn't be in a rush to move over. 

Im not sure who it was that wanted to get this car. Save your money.

I was talking about this with someone the other day; its great for overall useability and lack of blind spots having a conservative simplistic European  boxy design but they sacrifice road presence as a result

I feel the same way about the Golf R and M2; im sorry but imo there basically hot versions of very ordinary cars. The Type R seems to be an exception 

Road presence? The mk4 Supra was bland and ugly, hence everyone throwing bodykits at it just to give it some style! 

The mk5 looks just like modern Jap cars, ie give it angles for the sake of it and be damned with cohesive design. That’s why it’s not a looker from what we’ve seen so far. 

I would disagree, for a car built in the early 90s the Supra was nicely designed, looked fast, purposeful vs a lot of other boxy rubbish that was kicking around. Sure right now it certainly looks its age, and people throw bits onto it, but back then you cannot deny the posters from Athena looked good with it on.

25731987658_9072666f85_b.jpg.99d195e93bd317f2be122a64942b2b96.jpg

• Like 1

The point is German designs tend to play it safe with an evolutionary, conservative look to them that make the different trim levels all very generic when it comes to the model line up. Def form over function. 

Going back to the Supra I cant figure out if I like the look of it or not. Initially when I saw the concepts and camouflaged reveal it was a no. Then I saw the videos which gave a better perspective. Now the latest revealed images only seem to highlight the cars oddities (bonnet line, lights etc). 

The best way to judge it will be to see it on the road alongside other vehicles and seeing how it compares to other vehicles. Ive always found Audi, VW and BMW models tend to look really nice by themselves alone but when in the real world esp from a 10m distance its hard to tell them apart and they simply blend in. Leaving my 370z Nismo in a car park it seems totally different and out of place compared to everything else lol

Edited by hmale4yu
  • Like 1

I am with Coldel, I think the mk4 was pretty wild for 90's styling, I remember a dude had one in the marina where I worked and it it didnt look out of place with the usual exotica the boat crowd owned, although it was circa £40k, not cheap for a Toyota. Still think they look good today but they havent aged as well as say a Rx7.

I am not sure how the M2 as an example could be called subtle, safe or conservative, a very striking car imho

On 15/12/2018 at 19:32, hmale4yu said:

I was talking about this with someone the other day; its great for overall useability and lack of blind spots having a conservative simplistic European  boxy design but they sacrifice road presence as a result

I feel the same way about the Golf R and M2; im sorry but imo there basically hot versions of very ordinary cars. The Type R seems to be an exception 

i

i respect golf r and civic and what they tried to do. I know the golf has some issues my colleague has one. We,ll see how well it does. I dont completely dislike it. The worlds moving towards collaboration. Would I buy one hmmm doubt it 

M2 doesnt stand out from the crowd for me. It wouldnt turn heads as it looks like the standard car. But it is a nice safe design that wont gather too much attention either for or against.

Edited by GranTurismoEra