which exhaust to choose

Andre D

So had rear tyres changed today and while the car was in the garage i had the guy lift it for me to check the exhaust system, so i have sports cats with stainless y pipe, no idea of make but y pipe has flexi bits, would assume they are possibly japspeed, anyway from the y pipe the exhaust is like a custom job, not stainless, the guy said it was mild steel treated with aluminium stuff? with stainless back boxes, so i want to replace from the y pipe back, my options are cobra reso or non reso or scorpion, bearing in my the other mods can anyone suggest which would be most complimentary.thanks

Can be difficult to judge an exhaust by video clips - maybe try locate some members near you who have different set ups go along and listen. You can also get a good description of different setups speaking with the traders on here who have experience selling them over the years.

How loud do you want it is probably the question, being you have sports cats already anything non resonated or adequately silenced will be loud. personally i dont think you can beat Milteks or Invidia Gemini's, but the Cobra resonated will be a good sound!

thanks for the input guys, i spoke to tarmac sport and explained about the hfc and y pipe and he advised either scorpion or milltek as even the cobra resonated maybe too loud for my roadster,so i went for a scorpion, hopefully that will sort out the sound issue i have with the crapspeed k1 that is damaging my ear drums, hopefully should have it fitted by saturday so might avoid tinitus setting in

11 hours ago, 1CE said:

If it helps mine has sports cats (Torqen), Stillen Y pipe and a Scorpion exhaust, it was pretty subtle until a fitted the cats and y pipe :lol: .

Ben

Have you put it through an MOT with those HFC's yet? Keen to replace my knackered looking standard ones but don't want it to fail on emissions next year.

No offence meant but its probably a very small market place when they could be churning out exhausts for bmw's etc which they sell by the 1000's. Whilst ever they may have the jig/templates, they still have to take away production from a volume selling item.

3 hours ago, Jetpilot said:

No offence meant but its probably a very small market place when they could be churning out exhausts for bmw's etc which they sell by the 1000's. Whilst ever they may have the jig/templates, they still have to take away production from a volume selling item.

None taken 

Good point 

Thinking along the lines of a Miltek cat back minus the y pipe, trouble is I have a roadster and all the fitments are for coupe's

I didn't think there was much difference myself, anbody had any issues with roadster aftermarket exhausts ? any suggestions gratefully recieved.

2 hours ago, Peeege said:

Thinking along the lines of a Miltek cat back minus the y pipe, trouble is I have a roadster and all the fitments are for coupe's

I didn't think there was much difference myself, anbody had any issues with roadster aftermarket exhausts ? any suggestions gratefully recieved.

Roadster and Coupe have the same exhausts, no difference.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ridz said:

I have a Milltek fitted to my Zed roadster and it was fitted with no issues at all. \the OEM exhaust and the Milltek fitted without any problems!

Hope this helps

6 minutes ago, Adrian@TORQEN said:

Roadster and Coupe have the same exhausts, no difference.

Thanks guys that really does help, Milltek seems to be the way forward !

If you just have stock cats, the Milltek will be exceptionally quiet. Like, quieter than OEM. I had one for a few months and got rid of it to get something that was at least slightly louder than OEM (Ark Grip).

If you have HFCs, the Milltek will sound great, and be at a good volume.

14 hours ago, colesl4w said:

If you just have stock cats, the Milltek will be exceptionally quiet. Like, quieter than OEM. I had one for a few months and got rid of it to get something that was at least slightly louder than OEM (Ark Grip).

If you have HFCs, the Milltek will sound great, and be at a good volume.

And just off the back of this, I bought colesl4w milltek. 

Very quiet.... then I added full decats and it transformed the system. 

Mon WOT it is very loud and lovely smooth burble rest of time. 

https://youtu.be/Zo6liZ2JpCM

Miltek is a great option for being able to start the car up discreetly and head out, then open the taps and it really roars WHEN coupled with sports cats or decats. You can cruise without it drumming your ears but then when you need it to sound great i.e. when giving it some beans it really comes on song. On its own though with OEM cats it is very quiet. I had mine on with cats (bought it used off a member) and drove it away it sounded the same, add those sports cats though...bear in mind the sports cats tend to rasp.

so the Scorpion is now fitted and what a difference, she is alot better, no drone, just a nice sporty note as the revs climb, probably wouldnt be loud enough for some but its just how i wanted it, so i found out i have cobra sport cats and what looks like a motordyne y pipe[ has a resonator in the single pipe section] so im very happy with the result. One question. Does anyone know why the car is now more driveable, what i mean is before at low speed in traffic throttle control was tricky, i dont know wether maybe a slight increase in back pressure has made the car much tamer in slow moving traffic, it just feels smoother if thats possible?

20181215_100723.jpg