Infiniti quietly pulls the plug on the Q60 in UK

hmale4yu

Nismo RS was I saw on youtube. Automatic and from the videos I saw there are a couple in Germany. Looks like either a conversion or the actual car. Also saw a video of a guy doing a wrap on one in Germany.

Apparently only a few. I saw a video titled 1 of 25. I dont think there are that many. Possibly press cars. This is over a year old. Looks like a conversion. 

Edited by GranTurismoEra

12 hours ago, LRF4N said:

I think he means cars designed as coupes, not coupe versions of saloons

But I rarely see celicas on the road these days

Tell me about it :lol:

All the series 7s are dying off, not built to last. Series 6 are clearly the cream of the crop and should be worth the same as a Nissan R34 in my totally unbiased opinion...

depends on the area. 

I think in more upmarket areas you get a lot more of the older z4, 3 series e46, audi tt mk1 and 2. My area is a mix. 3 series is popular but the celica is mainly under £3000 and the market is busier for cheap cars. Its also cheapest to maintain albeit high road tax for what it is.

Best car i saw so far locally was the black 720s 2 days in a row. School kids tried to give a wave. Think he was stressed.....doesnt excuse 70 mph in a 30 zone :lol:

Edited by GranTurismoEra

• 2 weeks later...

The only reason to stick around is support current customers. Looks like they are going full EV after 2021. Even on their coupes etc. Might be the right direction. As their current petrols are gas guzzlers.

They should probably stick to selling Q50 and Q30 till they can go fully electric. They might need to rework the marketing to push more units when they go fully electric. Im sure their prices wont be cheap either...

On ‎31‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 12:01, GranTurismoEra said:

The only reason to stick around is support current customers. Looks like they are going full EV after 2021. Even on their coupes etc. Might be the right direction. As their current petrols are gas guzzlers.

They should probably stick to selling Q50 and Q30 till they can go fully electric. They might need to rework the marketing to push more units when they go fully electric. Im sure their prices wont be cheap either...

i think a better approach would be for Infiniti focus NOW on at least establishing their name as a luxury EV car maker not waiting till 2021 when the new models launch ; it will be the same situation all over again with people thinking "what's this? how much? what? eff that lets just buy an audi, benz…"

Can they not release an upmarket leaf in the meantime to start the initiation to luxury EV?

Maybe they are planning a full EV Q60 in future. You mean like their version of the leaf. I highly doubt it. Thats something the Germans would do. If Infiniti is meant to be the luxury arm of Nissan I dont think they would release a car similar to leaf at the same price. Maybe a redesign using the same tech as used in the leaf. Maybe they can carry on creating something similar to the 4 door Mercedes C class which they halted earlier this year as introductory fully electric vehicle.

They were working with mercedes to bring a 4 door luxury EV to the market. It got put on hold. Meanwhile Mercedes released the X class based on the Navara using their engine I think.

Edited by GranTurismoEra

I should have been the perfect customer for Infiniti. Long history of owing Nissans, was looking to move away from BMW at the time.

Back in 2014/15 it was hinted Infiniti had a potential Tesla Model S rival in development using a 64kWh battery pack - which Nissan even did a tech demo off. But some one at senior management level must have lost their nerve at the thought of trying to sell a very expensive EV when all the Germans were still pushing diesels and cancelled the project - a decision which I still don't understand. Had dieselgate hit the headlines in 2014 rather than 2015 I suspect I might be driving an EV Infiniti now rather than a Tesla.

Infiniti are due to show some random EV prototype but they are now very behind the competition. The Leaf drivetrain needs a complete redesign to compete with what Kia/Hyundai are now coming out in the EV market. Jaguar, Audi, Merc are all already here with their premium EVs.

I would love go get an Infiniti branded EV as our next car to replace my wifes Lexus, as at heart I still remeber founly the £500 Nissan Micra which was my first car. But at the current moment I recon Infiniti are 5 years behind the competition for EVs. I just cannot see Infiniti having a product to rival the Audi, Tesla, Merc on the EV front in 2021. Not unless Infiniti throws some serious cash into R&D. A rebranded Leaf will simply not be good enough in the developing EV market.

Sadly it looks like Infiniti will end up just selling rebranded Mercs, but why would you not just buy the Merc in the first place rather than one with a posh Datsun badge on?? 

Good luck to Infiniti, I hope they do come up with a product that will sell.

Edited by gangzoom

On 02/01/2019 at 16:58, nissanjuke said:

love that soft top NISMO would buy that  in A HEARTBEAT   :yahoo:

If you got £50k you can in a heartbeat

Or buy a 370z convertible and put a Nismo kit and Ford RS badge on for half the price :yahoo: 

https://www.motortrend.com/news/hotter-nissan-370z-nismo-rs-teased/

https://www.meinauto.de/news/nissan-370z-rs-roadster-als-nismo-sondermodell

On 04/01/2019 at 17:08, GranTurismoEra said:

The reason you wouldn't just buy the merc is the numerous recalls and faults reported on the C Class. Also Mercedes quality is up and down and fully specced could cost slightly more than an infinity. 

Selling rebranded A Class Mercs isn't exactly working though. It took Infiniti 4 month in 2018 to sell just 1000 of them across the whole of Europe. Mercedes sold 10k A classes a month in Europe, every month.

Infiniti needs a urgent total change in direction, Jaguar have seen the need to move to EVs ASAP, the iPace is already accounting for 90% of all Jaguar sales in some EU markets.

The longer Infiniti waits to shift to EVs the less chance they have of becoming an established volume brand in Europe. But am not sure they have the R&D money.

5 hours ago, gangzoom said:

Jaguar have seen the need to move to EVs ASAP, the iPace is already accounting for 90% of all Jaguar sales in some EU markets.

Source? And if possible exact figures, as my cynical head is saying that’s only possible if it’s a country where Jag either sell 4 vehicles a year anyway, so it wouldn’t be hard to suddenly have 90% of sales be from a new car ;) 

• 2 months later...
6 hours ago, gangzoom said:

https://blog.infiniti.eu/en-gb/blog-post/3274

Looks like they have given up in Europe. Shame, but its been coming for a while :(.

They all but denied this months back yet people here kept speculating 

Another US article that confirms the withdrawal from W Europe from next year. There are no plans if they will return post 2021 when their EV range begins production. That's the initial launch that didn't go well G35 up , the recent relaunch of the brand with the Q30 - they might not come back 

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/infiniti-leaving-western-europe-2020/

Interestingly the Q60 3.0 are now £35k - these will presumably drop to £25k this time next year 

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201903085678915?onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New&radius=200&make=INFINITI&model=Q60&postcode=nw34tg&advertising-location=at_cars&sort=price-desc&page=2

Yep saw the notification from a news app. The market isnt really there. Once they move to EV I dont think they will return. Most likely any evs will be through Nissan. Nissan may add another 4 door luxury car and carry on with the leaf.

Its a shame but the main focus is USA and Asia markets. USA has a more diverse and open market. 

The Q60s are just sitting on the lot. Nissan will continue to look after the remaining customers. The prices are going to drop drastically

13 minutes ago, GranTurismoEra said:

The Q60s are just sitting on the lot. Nissan will continue to look after the remaining customers. The prices are going to drop drastically

Depending on how brave you are I quite like the look of the new Q60T, 400bhp, sub 5 second to 60, loads of tech. £37K currently as ex-demo, I recon if you offered £30K cash the dealers would struggle to say no, may be even £25k.....But than would you really want a brand new car with no proper manufacture support?

Not sure where it all went wrong, when I was looking to replace the 350Z I looked at Infiniti, but the product range just couldn't stand up to what the BMW/Audi had on offer. I suppose that was a sign, if Infiniti couldn't persuade a long term 350Z owner their cars were the natural next step up than who could they persuade. 

I hope they do come back to the UK at some point though.