Infiniti quietly pulls the plug on the Q60 in UK

hmale4yu

I previously posted a thread about Infiniti back in July which didn't get much of a response so apologies if this is non-news to some lol 

I have just found out that when you go to their website that their new car offerings are now down to 3 models ! Looks like there will no longer be any Q60s for 2019>

Your initial thoughts? Even though I've never seen the car in the flesh I always thought it looked great. The 2.0s are q cheap now having had their initial depreciation hit. The 3.0 Q60s being released a bit later are still q high on the 2nd hand market . No doubt now these will be q rare given that effectively they will have run from 2017/18 I believe. May not come down much? who knows 

Untitled.jpg

Untitled2.jpg

Another issue is (unlike the 350/370z) the Q60s are a loaded tech fest (drive by wire, twin turbos, dual screen nav, 360 cameras etc) so you need to buy an expensive service plan once they come out of their 3 yr warranty in 2020/21 if looking to buy cheap at that time when they should be £20-25k imo

Theyre not selling in uk. UK is a bit of a sheepish market. People buy the same stuff and are too afraid to try something different. 

The car is thirsty but so are a lot of equivalent cars. There are used Q60 mainly 2.0 turbos that have been for sale since September that arent selling. 

The 3.0 for £33,000 not selling. Car sales are down at the moment. People arent buying as much. 

They will become a rarity and will depreciate as the demand for them just isnt there. It is what it is.

Infiniti shift many more Units in the US where gas is cheaper but going up. Ive seen one on the road in 12 months.

That Q60 black they will probably only make limited numbers if they do make them. I doubt they will bother with UK. 

• Like 1

I didn't realise this, good info post.  It's a shame, it had all the ingredients to make a great used powerhouse, but the stupid steering (and its apparent US safety issues I've seen on some vids..) and image has brought it down, along with the running costs, which weren't like its competitors. Great looking car too, real shame.  Unless something changes in the wind I think Infiniti might have to pack up altogether in the uk, in the future. They were different and thats what was good about them, if only they could capitalise on it somehow. 

• Like 1

thats difficult to capitalise on what isnt really there. When people look down on Japanese cars. Its all about the three status quo brands in the UK.

Mercedes BMW And VW group. Everyone else can get in line. Ford and Vauxhall are there for cheaper alternatives

Nothing wrong with infiniti calling it a day in UK. Just worried the Z line will be discontinued after a year or two introduction of the next gen if sales take a dive. Will people pay supra money £45,000+ for a thirsty jap coupe?

Tbf some people paid £38k for a 370z Nismo so why not £45k for a modern design and platform and probably far superior for it, although i did think the big engined Supra was rumoured to be more like £50-£60K? 

You still seem pretty sure another Z is on its way, i admire your optimism B)

Supra sales will be interesting - interesting to see what colours will have to choose from. Might be tempted to pick one up in 2020/21 after the initial depreciation hit?

As mentioned there is a growing shortage of real alternatives in every premium segment/sub segment as the 3 German brands have a tight grip on every class where the consumer seeks luxury and/or performance . The other brands are only really able to compete for the economy segment slice of the pie

I think the only route in is to put out amazing performance for the price that the rivals are no where near . Best example imo would be the GTR. Anything with even respectable performance just wont sell: Stinger, GT86, Type R

Stunning looks alone cannot guarantee sales away from German marques ; Alfa 4c, Lexus LC500, 370z Nismo

The only real alternative that has made a slight mark here is the mustang 

LC500 is going to end up like the RCF. Down in the early 40s just above the RCF.

My advice would be to skip the Supra. By 2021 there will be new generation of cars I would hold out for the new Z to be announced. 

Theres nothing wrong with considering a Z4 30i M sport with 290 bhp used. or the Z40i with 335 bhp. 5 year warranty and service pack. Tires, brakes covered. Only BMW does the maintenance pack.

Me personally Im getting another Z to use for 3+ years 

In the event its put on the shelf in favour of a Leaf sports car or something funky. Ill probably just save for a GTR. Or look at alternatives from Merc or BMW. The C63, M2, M4, Audi TtS and TTrS are depreciating. I would love a Cayman 3.4  one day. With economic uncertainty who knows

Until the Japanese can get their act together I dont mind keeping the Z for years to come. What else is there that you can say is worth every penny, feels exclusive, you actually want to go drive take down to a track, travel with and feels special.

Not many can tick those boxes.... and is within range. Nismo less than 100 in country. Old platform and thirsty. Asthmatic engine and long in the tooth. I wouldnt have it any other way.

GT86 hasnt done too badly. Type R Honda committed suicide with the looks. Too much GTA satire going on there.

Edited by GranTurismoEra

49 minutes ago, GranTurismoEra said:

LC500 is going to end up like the RCF. Down in the early 40s just above the RCF.

My advice would be to skip the Supra. By 2021 there will be new generation of cars I would hold out for the new Z to be announced. 

Theres nothing wrong with considering a Z4 30i M sport with 290 bhp used. or the Z40i with 335 bhp. 5 year warranty and service pack. Tires, brakes covered. Only BMW does the maintenance pack.

Me personally Im getting another Z to use for 3+ years till the new one is announced. 

In the event its put on the shelf in favour of a Leaf sports car or something funky. Ill probably just save for a GTR. Or look at alternatives from Merc or BMW. The C63, M2, M4, Audi TtS and TTrS are depreciating. I would love a Cayman 3.4  one day. With economic uncertainty who knows

Until the Japanese can get their act together I dont mind keeping the Z for years to come. What else is there that you can say is worth every penny, feels exclusive, you actually want to go drive take down to a track, travel with and feels special.

Not many can tick those boxes.... and is within range. Nismo less than 100 in country. Old platform and thirsty.

GT86 hasnt done too badly. Type R Honda committed suicide with the looks. Too much GTA satire going on there.

I agree in that from 2020/21 there will be a good selection of new cars. I don't like being a sheep but heard it here first I have a feeling the next gen golf GTI/R will be a cracker

I think the real bargain BMW now/near future will be the M6 and any highly specced 6 series. 

Re Nissan , the Z looks like it will be pushed back even further - take the Juke as a reference point; the concept should have been unveiled by now. Even if there was a Z concept revealed in 2019 (basically now) then we would have it going into production earliest late 2020. And that's v optimistic - we know with the Z it gets released Japan and US then Europe so even by that optimistic time frame we are looking at earliest UK release  mid 2021

The G35 and G37/Q60 were same engine and chassis as the equivalent zeds with extra rear seats. If there was a new zed it would’ve came with the current Q60? With the 3.0 V6 

.....or 3.0 V8 as the Infiniti salesman believed it was :doh: 

45 minutes ago, LRF4N said:

The G35 and G37/Q60 were same engine and chassis as the equivalent zeds with extra rear seats. If there was a new zed it would’ve came with the current Q60? With the 3.0 V6 

.....or 3.0 V8 as the Infiniti salesman believed it was :doh: 

i have a feeling that was the original plan but they have gone back to the drawing board hence the delay

If the new Supra doesn't sell much, I doubt a new Z will.... its those damn pesky SUV's.... this trend of high up crap... annoying. Give me a low down sports/GT with good looks, average fuel economy as best ya can and a nice engine... but the world these days loves a Macan, Evoque, X1, 3 , 25 whatever the hell they keep making, feels like theres a new 'box' every two seconds from the main manufacturers with only inches of a difference.  I think (besides some of the really high end stuff) the sports car is dying....   :cry:  There doesn't seem to be any lower end, mid range, everything's getting techy and that means expensive.  Can you even get 300 ponies from many cars for about £28K up now?? lol (I love a good moan..)

2 hours ago, LRF4N said:

I admire your enthusiasm but the title of this thread doesn’t suggest high sales of a new Z

Never stated it will. I expect it not to. That market is shrinking. Which means you get a lot more exclusivity and better price if you do get one. Even better for someone like me who hasnt 2.5 kids to lug about.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AMT said:

If the new Supra doesn't sell much, I doubt a new Z will.... its those damn pesky SUV's.... this trend of high up crap... annoying. Give me a low down sports/GT with good looks, average fuel economy as best ya can and a nice engine... but the world these days loves a Macan, Evoque, X1, 3 , 25 whatever the hell they keep making, feels like theres a new 'box' every two seconds from the main manufacturers with only inches of a difference.  I think (besides some of the really high end stuff) the sports car is dying....   :cry:  There doesn't seem to be any lower end, mid range, everything's getting techy and that means expensive.  Can you even get 300 ponies from many cars for about £28K up now?? lol (I love a good moan..)

Thats seen as underpowered. Power seems to be everything now. EVen though you could never use it on the road. In that range you got the Golf R, Seat Leon, Hyundai I30N, all hatchbacks with 300 ponies there or thereabouts and you get a lot more tech. 

I was impressed by my colleagues 135I with 390 BHP remapped with an exhaust. But I prefer a sports coupe as opposed to a hatchback. I had hatchbacks when I was much younger and just started driving. More useful I guess.

Cant beat a good sports car. Low slung, fighter jet with good power. Handling characteristics being 9/10ths of the law so you dont die.

The SUV simply because family, more useable or just status. The mid range sports car wont die out completely as theres still a market somehow. How many people have Z4s, 350z, GT86 , Toyota Celicas in the country? Millions upon millions. Toyota Celica is the most popular used coupe on the road. Issue is price and getting someone with only 5k in the bank to go brand new! How much is the brand new car?

£30 - £50,000 for 300HP barely keeping up with Golf R....sorry thats not going to do exceptionally well. In this climate a massive thirsty engine, high price hmmm. You need something that will do what the Type R and DC5 does well. Cornering combined with slightly more power. Is enough to keep up with an inferior driver with a lot more horsepower on the track or on the twisties. Cayman esq but cheaper. I dont care for the latest tech ala BMW or Audi or that my neighbour thinks I got cash.

Real shame about the Q60....ah well

Edited by GranTurismoEra

14 hours ago, hmale4yu said:

Re Nissan , the Z looks like it will be pushed back even further

Not singling out GT but he seems to be the advocate that a new Z is on the way but as you, i dont see it arriving any time soon for many reasons based on model release history/other reasons and i think you are on the money, there will be a new Juke first, there will definitely be a new GTR first both because of sales numbers. They are still punting out 370z's although the deals that can be had would suggest its coming to the end of the line and the only slight muttering of one is from Alfonso suggesting its being "developed". If something more concrete is shown at the Tokyo Motor Show next year its likely to be a prototype design, not forgetting it was 4 years ago we first saw an inclining of the new Supra in the FT1, i reckon we would be lucky to see one by 2021/22. All that said i hope it is sooner and be happy to be wrong.

I have had a couple of threads re car prices, Caymans at £60-£70k+, Civic Type R at £40k with decent spec, A110 & 4C at £50+, M series at similar and its a good call, what sports coupes are out there new?

I saw an invite only 1 hour interview with the Chief Engineer. I posted earlier this year. He stated that the GTR had another 3 - 4 years in the pipeline simply because current My17 will be in production for another 4 years. Then a few months later the rumour that Alfonso Albaisa is developing another one. I dont know if the CEO scandal would affect anything.

Its either going to be unveiled at the same time as the GTR or before. But it may not be a priority for Nissan.

Even if its 2022 as expected release. Thats still within the expected timeline. I never assumed it would release even in 2020. 

I also think the styling will be based loosely off the current one. I cant see them changing it drastically. Which may speed things up. Only thing is the power plant. I saw the SEMA car in action and it didnt sound too great and wasnt a whole lot faster. But we'll see. The 3.0 litre 400 BHP power plant needs a tune of 50 - 75hp at least for the nismo

I think everyone here has raised some key points all likely are true. Obviously Nissan's sales are down recently more reason for them to be cautious when it comes to bringing out a new Z in shrinking segment. Further the GTR takes precedence. They may have used the Q60 as some kind of litmus test as to demand. I think in the US its doing well though so maybe we are overstating the potential detrimental influence of poor Q60 UK sales on a next Z car - the two may not be connected as such

Makes sense for them to keep the MY17 refresh GTR going until 2020

I know this might be a niche of a niche of niche segment but wouldn't you guys be tempted with this. Wish they had gone ahead with it and who knows as a final send of leading into a gap period when they can think of what to do with the next generation Z

maxresdefault.jpg