Cam position sensor troubles

CCooperTech

Hi all,

I'm appealing for a little knowledge from the experienced folk on here.

I have had some engine management troubles over the past couple of months.

It started out as p0420 faults.

All actual values (on my diagnostic kit) seemed ok though so I was starting to suspect a failing cat, but at just 66k that seemed off.

I decided to let it develop... And it did.

P0340 with the ESP and traction lights.

Power cuts momentarily then back to driving.

Hard to start when warm.

Great I thought and fitted a new CPS.

no difference.

Actual values at 63.5° with both the old and new CPS.

However I don't get the P0420 anymore.

Anyone any idea what could be the cause and where I go from here?

Forgot to add the car details: 2003 350z 66k miles on the clock, mostly original setup excluding a k&n typhoon induction kit.

Does have an lpg kit fitted, but the problem happens on the 99 octane and the LPG.

Edited by CCooperTech
Added car details.

11 hours ago, Beb said:

Mine had similar issues recently with intermittent starting, P0420 sometimes. Turned out to be one of the coilpacks.

Got mine from Keyser, he has some used ones in stock

Hi Beb,

Thanks for the response, but the P0420 has stopped with the start of the P0340. Based on the fact I am getting readings of 63.5°  degrees solid, no fluctuation, on the CPS I am pretty sure its related to the CPS or engine management, not the coil pack.

46 minutes ago, blazemaguire said:

Probably stating the obvious, but have you changed both cam sensors or just the one indicated by the fault code.  One might not have been that far behind the other in failing terms and just enough on the edge to give issues but not give a fault code.

I guess it was a little obvious, as I just did that today, but good advice none the less.

I also had to replace the connector on bank one.

It took both of these actions and triggering an ECU re-learn to solve the issue... At least I believe it's solved.

I will update after a few days with hopefully no issues.

Thanks for the reply.

Edited by CCooperTech
Spelling errors

Good to hear it sounds like its sorted One of mine failed, but I changed both. Sometimes a sensor can work fine when cold, but as the engine warms up, the wires/breaks or cracks open up with expansion due to heat and it craps out. Often without error code.

I also buggered up the connector on bank 1 doing it.. Horrible, stiff brittle things, even worse in the cold. Sourced a new one from China eBay for about 6 quid. Haven't got round to splicing it in yet... Don't fancy it in this weather with no garage. Anyhow, the glue gun bodge seems to be holding strong a month on so...  

Edited by blazemaguire

I said I'd update after a few days...

No more CPS issues, and a nice clean drive, although the revs between 14-18K are hunting a little and it does seem to sit a little high at idle.

The P0420 fault is back now though, took a few days but it popped so I guess I should start looking at a replacement cat.

Thanks for the support all.

1 hour ago, StevoD said:

Did you replace the CPS as I would recommend it as it will come back

I have replaced around 6 of the damn things I think I cook them a bit  

Yes I've replaced both CPS with oem sensors and that particular set of problems have resolved.

1 hour ago, davey_83 said:

Never saw the point in throttle controllers, once you pressing on and at wide open throttle - surely WOT is WOT........ Also do the controllers do anything with regards to the factory rev limit?

I haven’t seen one yet that doesn’t simply trick the ECU into believing the loud pedal is in a different position to where your foot is.