Cooling fans

Jay84

I did a bit of a winter check now its off the road for a couple of months, cleaned the inner arches out etc. I also had a look under the bonnet, and couldn't help but notice that with the ac on, i only had one cooling fan spinning. The engine wasn't hot, but I wasn't sure whether they were both supposed to spin, or whether the other one kicked in when it got to a certain temperature to cool the coolant. It's not urgent to fix if it needs a new motor as i guess it won't be driven until March now. 

I'm pretty sure both fans should run when you turn the AC on, it's a common fault for our cars for the motors to pack up because the brushes become seized due to the carbon build up. 

You've got 3 options really-

- Strip the motor down and clean it up (I did this with both mine about 6 months ago and now they're good as new). 

- Replace the motor (which is stupidly expensive brand new). 

- Replace the whole fan pack for an aftermarket one (I think a lot of people go for Mishimoto but apparently it's a lot louder than oem which put me off). 

If you're going to go to the effort of refurbing/replacing one of the motors it's might be worth doing the other one at the same or else sods law it'll fail too a week later or something :lol:

• Thanks 1