Radio reception issues

Kryptek49

My 57 plate HR has the stock head unit in it, however one of the previous owners had installed an aftermarket HU in it, but this has been reverted back to stock.

The radio signal in the car is pretty terrible, I can jump in my other half's car and the radio is crystal clear, but in my car parked 2 metres away its very fuzzy.

The car currently has a short antenna on it, however I have swapped this back to the OEM antenna and this makes no difference on the car.

I have pulled out all the wiring on the back of the head unit to check nothing was missing. There were a few odd cables that the PO left in place however I have now removed these so everything is back to stock. 

The antenna wire that goes into the back of the HU is connected securely, and the green/white power antenna wire is securely connected to the brown plug, and then goes into the back of the HU with the main wiring loom.

Everything looks right, but I don't know if I'm missing something here?

Should the power antenna wire have power when the car is on? If so does anyone know what voltage this should be at so I can check with a multimeter later today?  

Or does the car just have poor radio reception normally? 

12 minutes ago, MDMetal said:

The antenna needs to be powered to work correctly.

Is there anyway to verify the amplifier is not working correctly? i.e Multi-meter to test voltage via the pins?

My head unit does get signal though, it is just fairly crackly when in other cars there is no issue. Does this sound similar to your problem?

Thanks for the help

6 minutes ago, Kryptek49 said:

Is there anyway to verify the amplifier is not working correctly? i.e Multi-meter to test voltage via the pins?

My head unit does get signal though, it is just fairly crackly when in other cars there is no issue. Does this sound similar to your problem?

Thanks for the help

It was my exact issue yes, sorry I can't tell you what the expected voltage is :( I just took it on faith to replace it but yeah testing would be good!