Dirty Christmas fun ! Cams/stem seals/timing chain

RobPhoboS

Well, finally remap day !

I decided to head back to @Jez @ H-Dev as he originally mapped the car for me after I bought it from a forum member here, late 2012 (that's the red plot).

Back then I had changed the exhaust (decats back), and a plenum spacer.

Wow, the difference now is stark !

Yep, as expected a little loss lower down but once it picks up - VTECH YO ! :clap:

I guess at this point it's phase 2 for the breathing, and for the next installment it'll be long tubes and potentially some fannying around with the intake manifold. I wanted to at least optimise what the cams can do as the engine is stock. Once the pistons/rods etc are done, I can see where it can go regarding hp/rpm. But even for now the difference really is bigger than what the graph indicates.

20190204_150943.jpg

Edited by RobPhoboS
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 22/02/2019 at 07:35, zelda said:

Great results. When do you expect to do the rest of the internal work?

Can you really feel that loss at the bottom?

Hey, it's pending finances, and some other things going on at the moment.

The next few months I'd like to do the differential, harness bar or 4 point roll cage, long tube headers, get some track days in of course and the usual bits (tyres/pads).

So the rest of the engine won't be considered until next winter (or later) unless there's an issue beforehand.

You can notice a bit of a difference, so if you need to get a move on you want to drop it down a cog or two but it's soo much stronger at the top now. It really feels quite different to stock in a good way.

• 1 month later...

Some more bits and pieces will be arriving soon !

One of them will require a wrap and a remap (PPE goodness) :cloud9:

So, in the name of science and trying to show the process, I will have the car remapped again prior to any engine gubbins being replaced.

An order for the guts will come, and I'm just going through the process of what to order for that. Of course I'm doing those things really to help with the oil consumption and to see if it'll help it further up the rev range. 

I'll probably come back with an approximate list of what I'm intending to do, so once again feel free to comment.

The latest addition was Andy's Kaaz 1.5 diff, which is in !

Although probably coming back out so I can fit a different cover and some other little bits :lol:

• 2 months later...

Rob, how do you find the drive now? Does the car feel a lot more responsive than when it was stock? 

Also did you not have any issues with valve contact as I have read anything over 11.3mm means you may have valve to piston contact?

2 hours ago, adamc said:

Rob, how do you find the drive now? Does the car feel a lot more responsive than when it was stock? 

Also did you not have any issues with valve contact as I have read anything over 11.3mm means you may have valve to piston contact?

Hey man.

Well the car isn't finished in terms of optimising the breathing for the cams yet.

If you change cams, you must address intake, and exhaust too (headers specifically) or it's a little bit of a waste.

So with that in mind, as it is right now, not much happens until around 3.5k (as you can see from the graph), so you need to bare that in mind when on track and ensure you're in the right gear. A 3.9 FD is on my wishlist which should help a little with acceleration too. 

Daily driving, less responsive. Track driving, more (but I don't 'daily' the car).

If you look at jwt's website you'll see these C8's are designed to work with the DE engine without headwork. But you should always check with the manufacturer on what they recommend, and if it will work with your engine.

If you go down the cam route, you need to select the cam very carefully and choose a model for what you intend to use it for. 

Ex:
http://jimwolftechnology.com/wolfpdf/CAM_SPEC_CARD_VQ35_INCL_REVUP.pdf

I'd say that cam selection is vital, you kind of build an N/A engine around it. At least that's how I'm seeing it.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

Eeek, apologies didn't spot this !

Yes sir, I rebuilt the whole thing and have done a couple of track days since. I will do a proper thread, promise.
However, need to plug in a new (to me) Link ECU/Widebands and get it mapped again, as at low RPM's its not happy and stalls out when coming to a stop/reversing sometimes.